• About Us
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́ Podcast
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News Crime

‘Violence wave’ Eight killed in Kabul rocket attack

Rtn. Victor Ojelabi by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
November 21, 2020
in Crime
0
Screenshot 2020 11 21 Eight killed in Kabul rocket attack

At least eight people were killed Saturday when a barrage of rockets struck densely populated parts of Kabul, marking the latest big attack in a wave of violence sweeping the Afghan capital.

The salvo slammed into various parts of central and north Kabul — including in and around the heavily fortified Green Zone that houses embassies and international firms — just before 9:00 am (0430 GMT).

The Iranian embassy said on Twitter that its main building had been hit by rocket fragments after a missile landed on the premises. No one on the compound, located just outside the Green Zone, was wounded.

Interior ministry spokesman Tariq Arian blamed the Taliban, saying “terrorists” had fired a total of 23 rockets.

“Based on initial information, eight people were martyred, and 31 others were wounded,” Arian said, noting the final toll would change.

Kabul police spokesman Ferdaws Faramarz confirmed the same tolls and details.

The Taliban denied responsibility, saying they “do not blindly fire on public places”.

At least one rocket landed in an office inside the Green Zone, but did not explode.

Photos and videos circulating online showed several buildings with damaged walls and windows, including at a large medical complex.

Recent big attacks in Kabul, including two horrific assaults on educational institutions that killed nearly 50 people in recent weeks, follow a familiar pattern in the aftermath, with the Taliban denying any involvement while the Afghan government pins the blame on them or their proxies.

“The rocket attack in Kabul city has nothing to do with the mujahideen of the Islamic Emirate,” Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said, using the insurgents’ name for Afghanistan.

The Taliban are under pressure not to attack urban areas, having pledged not to do so under the terms of a US withdrawal deal signed in February.

Any acknowledgement of overt involvement in such incidents could in theory slow the American pull-out, though outgoing US President Donald Trump has made clear he wants US forces out regardless of the situation on the ground.

The Islamic State group claimed the two attacks on educational centres, but Kabul said the Taliban’s ultra-violent Haqqani network was responsible.

– Pompeo heads to Doha –

Taliban and Afghan government negotiators launched peace talks in Doha in September but progress has been slow and violence has raged across Afghanistan regardless.

Officials told AFP on Friday however that a breakthrough was expected to be announced in the coming days, and the US State Department announced late Friday that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo would meet negotiators from the Taliban and the Afghan government in Doha.

Trump has repeatedly vowed to end “forever wars”, including in Afghanistan, America’s longest-ever conflict, which began with an invasion to dislodge the Taliban following the September 11, 2001 attacks.

President-elect Joe Biden, in a rare point of agreement with Trump, also advocates winding down the Afghanistan war although analysts believe he will not be as wedded to a quick timetable.

Earlier this week, the Pentagon said it would soon pull about 2,000 troops out of Afghanistan, speeding up the timeline established in a February agreement between Washington and the Taliban that envisions a full US withdrawal by mid-2021.

In the past six months, the Taliban has carried out 53 suicide attacks and 1,250 explosions that left 1,210 civilians dead and 2,500 wounded, interior ministry spokesman Tariq Arian said this week.

The interior ministry said two small “sticky bomb” explosions had been reported earlier Saturday morning, including one that hit a police car, killing one policeman and wounding three others.

otunba victor profile picture scaled
Rtn. Victor Ojelabi

Ojelabi, the publisher of Freelanews, is an award winning and professionally trained mass communicator, who writes ruthlessly about pop culture, religion, politics and entertainment.

Related Posts

Image 2023 06 05 at 22430 PM jpeg
Crime

Over 3,000 criminals arrested so far this year, IGP reveals

by Freelanews
June 5, 2023
lecturer
Crime

Students strip Kogi varsity lecturer accused of sexual harassment

by Quadri Olaitan
May 11, 2024
200601 Yang NYP Protests Looting 25
Crime

Unemployment benefits to be out of reach for rioters, looters

by Freelanews
August 30, 2020
screenshot 2022 08 08 at 16 01 21 cele.jpeg (webp image 699 × 402 pixels)
Crime

‘Not a member’ CCC Worldwide disowns Abayomi Adelabi

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
August 8, 2022
GUNMEN 1 jpg
Crime

Gunmen kill police inspector in Rivers

by Quadri Olaitan
February 22, 2024

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent News

Lere Paimo

Breaking: Veteran actor Lere Paimo popularly known as Eda Onile Ola, passes away at 86

November 29, 2025
Google

Google announces ₦3bn investment to strengthen Nigeria’s AI ecosystem

November 29, 2025
Ogun

Serious alert as Ogun shuts lead recycling factories

November 29, 2025
Okpebholor

Okpebholor vows to resign if Tinubu loses in 2027

November 29, 2025
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
APC Second-Term Governors

APC: Second-term governors seeking immediate elective post to lose party leadership

October 15, 2025
April Wind Couture

April Wind Couture thrives in Nigeria’s tough economy with bold Ankara vision

September 12, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Lere Paimo

Breaking: Veteran actor Lere Paimo popularly known as Eda Onile Ola, passes away at 86

November 29, 2025
Google

Google announces ₦3bn investment to strengthen Nigeria’s AI ecosystem

November 29, 2025
Ogun

Serious alert as Ogun shuts lead recycling factories

November 29, 2025
Okpebholor

Okpebholor vows to resign if Tinubu loses in 2027

November 29, 2025
November 2025
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30 
« Oct    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Hot!

Lere Paimo

Breaking: Veteran actor Lere Paimo popularly known as Eda Onile Ola, passes away at 86

November 29, 2025
Google

Google announces ₦3bn investment to strengthen Nigeria’s AI ecosystem

November 29, 2025
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Advertisement
  • Sitemap

© 2025 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2025 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.