• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

Mason Greenwood: Rachel Riley accuses Man Utd of ‘gaslighting’

Freelanews by Freelanews
August 22, 2023
in Sports
0 0
0
130873325 gettyimages 1367239299 jpg
thenacre-campaign

Rachel Riley has accused Manchester United of “gaslighting” and “green lighting” abuse for their handling of the decision to part company with Mason Greenwood.

Greenwood’s exit was confirmed on Monday after a six-month internal investigation into his conduct.

It came after charges against the player, including attempted rape and assault, were dropped in February.

“Right decision, horrendous statement,” television presenter Riley wrote.

In explaining the lengthy process behind their decision, a Manchester United statement claimed Greenwood “did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged”, adding: “Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture.”

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

An open letter from chief executive Richard Arnold also said: “While we were unable to access certain evidence for reasons we respect, the evidence we did collate led us to conclude that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with”.

And Greenwood issued a statement saying he accepted he had “made mistakes” and took his “share of responsibility”, but added: “I did not do the things I was accused of.”

Arnold said that Greenwood’s potential reintegration was “one of the outcomes we considered and planned for” but that “several outcomes have been contemplated and planned for” and his view “evolved”.

However, United fan Riley claimed the club’s statements were “gaslighting” – a term used to describe a form of manipulation where a person is given false information that leads them to question the truth.

She also accused the club of “green lighting” abuse on social media, saying: “This overreaching statement will put wind in the sails of abusers and send a message to victims it’s more trouble than it’s worth to report alleged abuse. It’s so disappointing to see my club contribute to the culture that upholds this.”

“The question before them [United] was not whether Mason Greenwood may be found guilty in a criminal, or even civil court, it was whether he’s fit to wear the United badge, to be a role model to kids who look up to footballers as heroes, and have his name proudly displayed on shirts sold in the club shop,” Riley wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Riley had previously said she would stop supporting United if forward Greenwood stayed at the club.

She also told podcast The News Agents: “I think it’s gaslighting for people to have two statements saying, Mason Greenwood himself saying he’s been cleared of all charges – which is not the case, the claims were dropped because the key witness dropped out – and they [United] claim new evidence.

“I’ve never been more ashamed of the club. I think it’s just a disgrace. And they had another opportunity to make it right, make a good statement and they have just greenlighted the abuse that’s been going on on social media.”

adron lemon friday

Writing on X on Tuesday, the Countdown co-presenter said: “I’ve been a red since before I was born, I’ve passed it on to my baby girls and some of the all-time best times of my life have been working with and cheering on Man United, so I write with such a heavy heart – as a club we’ve handled this appallingly.”

BBC Sport has approached Manchester United for comment.

‘Arnold should consider position’

England international Greenwood was arrested in January 2022 following allegations surrounding material published online.

He was later charged in October 2022 with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

After the charges were dropped in February 2023, the Crown Prosecution Service said key witnesses had withdrawn and new material had come to light, meaning there was “no longer a realistic prospect of conviction”.

United then started their own investigation.

On Monday the club issued three statements: from the club, Greenwood and an open letter from Arnold to fans. They came after a number of delays amid fierce debate about Greenwood’s potential reintegration at Old Trafford.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

The club said they wanted to consult with their women’s team, some of whom were part of England’s World Cup squad playing in Australia, before announcing a decision about Greenwood’s future.

Arnold said the club had “limited powers of investigation” and “were reliant on third-party cooperation” as they “sought to collate as much evidence as possible to establish facts and context”.

He said the extra evidence included the alleged victim requesting the police to drop their investigation in April 2022, and the club receiving alternative explanations for the material that was posted online.

Former United player Gary Neville said United’s handling of the Greenwood investigation had been “pretty horrible”, lacked strong leadership and should have been dealt with independently.

Riley told The News Agents podcast that Arnold should consider his position.

“I’ve seen first hand how little is known, even amongst professionals who are supposed to be dealing with this – I include the police, I include social services,” she said.

“If they don’t know the intricacies, I don’t know how a CEO at Manchester United who has multimillion pounds at stake is in any position to make a judgement on what has happened, especially having not consulted abuse charities.”

In her social media post, Riley said the situation needed “trained, qualified, experienced experts” and it “goes far beyond the scope of what United were tasked with”.

“It is absolutely right a thorough investigation should take place. Yet experts could have used their knowledge to help United navigate the process so we could trust the outcome. And an external party with no vested interests would have been far more credible,” she added.

freelanews
Freelanews

Freelanews is the editorial byline of Freelanews.com, used for staff reports, news updates, press releases, and collaborative stories produced by the Freelanews Editorial Team.

Also read

  • Cagliari’s young star Trepy awakens after life-threatening scare
  • Mourinho reveals why Real Madrid missed out on signing Rodri

Related Posts

Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu Arm Wrestling Championship
Sports

Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu ‘Arm Wrestling Championship’ set to ignite Lagos with power, passion

by Quadri Olaitan
April 29, 2025
WhatsApp Image 2022 01 29 at 8.13.53 PM
Sports

‘I AM GEORGINA’ Football star, Cristiano Ronaldo, features in girlfriend’s Netflix documentary series (Trailer)

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
January 29, 2022
Super eaglesf
Sports

Super Eagles squad value drops from €345m to €343m

by Quadri Olaitan
April 25, 2024
NTTF selects cadet table tennis squad Nigeria
Sport

NTTF to pick squad for “Africa Hopes Challenge”

by Quadri Olaitan
April 7, 2025
BONIFACE01 5
Sports

I’m not leaving leverkusen this summer – Boniface

by Quadri Olaitan
May 2, 2024

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Canada probe exposes alleged fake Nigerian doctor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
Fadahunsi

Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.