Nigerian Army troops under the Joint Task Force North West, Operation Fansan Yamma, rescued 14 kidnapped people in Sabuwa Local Government Area of Katsina State on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, after responding to intelligence about terrorists moving through the Madaci Forest with captives.
The rescued group comprised six men and eight women, according to Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, the task force’s Media Information Officer.
Also read: NSCDC personnel survive Sokoto ambush in armoured vehicle
Danja said the troops mobilised after receiving credible intelligence on the movement of terrorists with kidnapped people in the area.
The operation reflects the continuing military effort to disrupt kidnapping and banditry networks across Katsina and other parts of Nigeria’s North West, where rural communities have faced repeated attacks and abductions.
Danja said troops made contact with the terrorists after reaching the area and engaged them.
The pressure forced the armed group to abandon the captives and retreat into the surrounding bushes.
“Following exploitation of the area, troops successfully rescued 14 victims comprising six males and eight females,” Danja said.
Preliminary investigations indicated that the 14 victims had been abducted from different locations across the Dandume, Bakori and Funtua general areas of Katsina State before being moved towards the forest, according to the military.
The victims were subsequently handed over to the relevant local authorities for necessary action and reunification with their families.
The rescue is the latest in a series of operations by Operation Fansan Yamma in which troops have freed kidnapped people and disrupted criminal activity across the North West.
In July, troops operating in Faskari Local Government Area of Katsina rescued three kidnap victims who had escaped from a terrorist hideout during heavy rainfall while their captors were reportedly asleep.
The victims had been abducted while working on farms in Tsafe Local Government Area of neighbouring Zamfara State.
The military has also intensified operations in Katsina following the abduction and subsequent death of retired Major General Rabe Abubakar earlier in June.
Defence Headquarters launched Operation Clean Sweep III under Operation Fansan Yamma, targeting terrorist and bandit networks in Matazu Local Government Area and neighbouring communities.
The offensive has included fighting patrols, intelligence-led raids, cordon-and-search operations and clearance missions.
The military previously reported the destruction of suspected terrorist hideouts and logistics bases around the Dikkawa Hills area, including locations around Adua, Nasarawa and Karaduwa.
Katsina’s security challenges remain significant despite the operational gains.
Kidnapping and bandit attacks continue to place pressure on farming communities and rural residents, making the recovery of captives an important measure of the security forces’ ability to respond to intelligence and protect vulnerable communities.
The latest rescue also highlights the importance of information from residents.
The military has repeatedly urged communities to provide timely and credible intelligence to security agencies, saying local information can help troops locate criminal groups and respond more quickly to threats.
For the 14 people rescued in Sabuwa, the immediate priority is now reunification with their families and appropriate support following their ordeal.
For the military, the operation adds to the pressure being maintained on armed groups operating across the North West.
Also read: NSCDC personnel survive Sokoto ambush in armoured vehicle
The Theatre Command said troops would continue operations to safeguard communities and prevent terrorists and other criminal groups from operating freely across the region.
David Okere is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering business, governance, public affairs, and human-interest stories with a commitment to accuracy, balance, and public interest reporting.

























