• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News Crime

‘Fired numerous gun shots’ US govt names suspect in manhunt for subway shooter that left many injured in New York City

Freelanews by Freelanews
April 15, 2022
in Crime
0 0
0
WhatsApp Image 2022 04 15 at 12.38.30 PM
thenacre-campaign

New York City authorities have identified a suspect being sought in the shooting on a Brooklyn subway train as Frank R James, a 62-year-old man from Philadelphia who police say had rented a van connected to the incident that left 10 people shot.

Previously identified as a person of interest, James has now been named as the gunman by the New York Police Department in the shooting that happened at about 8:30am on Tuesday during the morning commuter rush.

“Frank Robert James fired numerous gun shots inside an ‘N’ line subway car at 36th & 4th Ave subway station causing serious injuries to 10 people,” the NYPD said in a tweet on Wednesday.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams, speaking to United States broadcaster National Public Radio (NPR) on Wednesday, cited “new information that became available to the team” for the conclusion that James was the shooter, but did not offer details.

WhatsApp Image 2022 04 15 at 12.38.30 g

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

Law enforcement officials have been examining social media posts in which James decried the US as a racist nation awash in violence and, in some posts, railed against Adams.

“This nation was born in violence, it’s kept alive by violence or the threat thereof and it’s going to die a violent death. There’s nothing going to stop that,” James said in one video.

New York Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell called the posts “concerning” and officials tightened security for Adams, who was already isolating after a positive COVID-19 test on Sunday.

WhatsApp Image 2022 04 15 at 12.34.44 PM

“We are going to continue to close the loop around him and bring him in, and continue the investigation into this horrific act against innocent New Yorkers,” Adams said on Wednesday.

Authorities offered rewards totalling $50,000 for information leading to the arrest of the gunman, who they believed acted alone.

Yellow police tape blocks off the entrance to the subway as New York City Police Department personnel gather at the entrance to a subway stop in the Brooklyn borough of New York.

The gunman sent off smoke grenades in a crowded subway car and then fired at least 33 shots with a 9mm handgun, police said. Five gunshot victims were in critical condition but all 10 wounded in the shooting were expected to survive. At least a dozen others who escaped gunshot wounds were treated for smoke inhalation and other injuries.

Sewell warned the incident could have been far worse after police found the gun used in the shooting had jammed and extra magazines of ammunition were left behind by the shooter, who fled in the chaos.

“I’m just grateful to be alive,” said passenger Jordan Javier, who thought the first popping sound he heard was a book dropping. Then there was another pop, he said, and people started moving toward the front of the car, and he realised there was smoke.

When the train pulled into the 36th Street station in the Sunset Park neighbourhood, people ran out and were directed to another train across the platform.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

People rushed to aid wounded commuters bleeding on a Brooklyn platform as others ran from the car to another train

Some injured passengers collapsed as they poured out of the smoke-filled subway car onto the platform of the 36th Street station.

The station was open as usual on Wednesday morning, less than 24 hours after the violence, and the New York City subway system as a whole was operating normally while police checked backpacks at some stations.

The shooter fled in the chaos, leaving behind the gun, extended magazines, a hatchet, detonated and undetonated smoke grenades, a black garbage can, a rolling cart, gasoline and the key to a U-Haul van, police said.

That key led investigators to James, who has addresses in Philadelphia and Wisconsin, NYPD Chief of Detectives James Essig said. The van was later found, unoccupied, near a station where investigators determined the gunman had entered the subway system, Essig said.

adron lemon friday

Rambling, profanity-filled YouTube videos apparently posted by James, who is Black, are replete with violent language and bigoted comments, some against other Black people.

In one video, posted a day before the attack, he criticises crime against Black people and says drastic action is needed.

“You got kids going in here now taking machine guns and mowing down innocent people,” James says. “It’s not going to get better until we make it better.”

He added that he thought things would only change if certain people were “stomped, kicked and tortured” out of their “comfort zone”.

freelanews
Freelanews

Freelanews is the editorial byline of Freelanews.com, used for staff reports, news updates, press releases, and collaborative stories produced by the Freelanews Editorial Team.

Also read

  • Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

Related Posts

police NG
Crime

‘Confirmed’ Police verify kidnap of prominent Ekiti petroleum dealer

by Freelanews
January 11, 2021
index 1
Crime

‘The net is closing in’ UK woman accuses Mike Ezuronye of duping her £7000

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
October 1, 2020
Segun Ogundipe
Crime

Segun Ogundipe jailed in UK for sexual assault, faces deportation to Nigeria

by Quadri Olaitan
August 9, 2025
11750452 cc8bbaeepolice jpegf1e743debfa6634263d2d1c9449ed83e
Crime

‘Tackling insecurity’ Police withdraw escorts from South East, Rivers Governors, senators, VIPs (Photo)

by Freelanews
May 11, 2021
Fayoade Adegoke
Crime

Bribery: Lagos CP probes DPO

by Quadri Olaitan
January 30, 2024

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
Fadahunsi

Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Loading Comments...