• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News Crime

‘Fighting banditry’ Why military needs our support, NSA says

Freelanews by Freelanews
June 24, 2020
in Crime
0 0
0
Monguno 489x367 1
thenacre-campaign

The National Security Adviser (NSA), Mohammed Babagana Monguno, last week led a high level delegation of security leaders to some states facing security challenges in the North Western zone of the country.

According to him, the delegation was sent by President Muhammadu Buhari to commiserate with them over the recent killings of innocent people by bandits and to discuss with governors and paramount traditional rulers of those states on how best to end the menace.

While at the Sultan’s Palace, Monguno was quoted to have said that “the security situation in the Northwest was giving Mr President sleepless nights, thus resolved to deal with the challenges and enhance security in the region.

It was learnt that successes being recorded as a result of the ongoing joint military operation in those places wouldn’t have been possible without the support of the locals who know their terrain better.

Impressively, a total of 3,567 cattle, 2,499 sheep, 973 goats, 15 camels and 14 donkeys were recovered. Also, over 104 kidnapped victims have been rescued at different times from bandit’s camps, while 48 suspected kidnappers were arrested with lots of ammunition, magazines, firearms and locally fabricated weapons. These recoveries were made since the inception of the ongoing onslaught code named ‘Operation Hadarin Daji’ against the bandits in the area and other parts of Zamfara and Katsina states.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

Similarly, dozens of bandits were said to be neutralised as camps of notorious armed bandits, including Adamu Aliero were destroyed in Zamfara and Katsina states.

The Sarkin Gobir of Sabon Birni, Alhaji Isa Muhammad Bawa, talking about his area where 105 people were recently killed by bandits, commended the military for the ongoing operation, saying “we are now sleeping soundly, unlike before when we were experiencing attacks almost on daily basis.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

“The moment we receive information and notify the army, they respond swiftly,” he said

The bandits usually invade areas that are remotely located and because of bad roads, land soldiers always find it difficult to foil their attack but thanks to the involvement of airmen who now provide them with air support.

The district head said the attacks had reduced drastically, adding that “we only hear of them coming to some villages, picking one to two people and running away but there are no more killings now”.

The monarch added that the attackers were mostly from the neighbouring Niger Republic and Zamfara state, adding that their mission was only to kill people and steal their animals and other properties.

Another resident of the area that sought anonymity, said there was no killing in the area since the commencement of the joint military operations, which he said was succeeding.

adron lemon friday

According to him, the military were now in control of the situation and the people in the area have been providing them with useful information about the whereabout of the bandits.

In order to improve on their present momentum, there is the need for a closer coordination and collaboration between the security agencies of Nigeria and the Niger Republic. We know that several meetings were held in both countries but what is required is fruitful outcome from such interactions, particularly as the bandits keep coming into the country from Niger. It is learnt that there is a joint border patrol between the Nigerian military and Nigerien troops to checkmate the situation.

This collaboration was said to have begun in September 2018 and it led to the capture of a kidnap kingpin (Mahamadu Issa) on 2nd April, 2019. A reliable security source revealed that the Niger Republic had not operated in Nigeria until last week, when they had a hot pursuit of bandits into the Nigerian territory of Burkusuma “which is allowed based on security bilateral agreements between the two countries.”

But this collaboration still needs to be strengthened for enhanced border security.

More result would also be achieved when the communication centre planned by the state government through which security agencies would promptly receive distress calls for quick action. Similarly, the locals need to cooperate and support the ongoing military operation by showing appreciation for the efforts being made by the military to win their hearts and minds. It is expected that the locals who have better knowledge of their terrain should continue to provide some information that will assist the military in their task.

However, this effort would not yield tangible results, if politicians would not desist from politicising the issue of security in their areas, as doing so can jeopardise the effort being made by the security agencies to crush the bandits.

Governor Aminu Tambuwal had once identified religious ignorance as one of the main reasons why they engaged in banditry, and therefore tasked the major religious bodies to intensity preaching on the sanctity of human lives, using the electronic media, especially radio and equally take the campaign to villages. This is a very important suggestion because it has been discovered that many of the bandits were quite ignorant of their individual requirement as dictated by religious tenets.

I am also in support of the governor’s suggestion for a legislation to not only outlaw the possession of illegal arms but stipulate death sentence or life imprisonment for violators.

Conclusively, the men conducting the operation Hadarin Daji also need to be commended for clearing the road linking Sokoto to other parts of the northwest, which were hitherto a travellers’ nightmare. They have salvaged Bungudu, Anka, Shinkafi, Talata Mafara, Gummi, Gusau and Bukkuyum local government areas, which were formerly easy targets for bandits. But despite these achievements, just as the Sultan once said “more needs to be done to rid the region of criminal elements, particularly, bandits”

Malam Garba Ladan wrote this from Arkilla area of Sokoto state.

freelanews
Freelanews

Freelanews is the editorial byline of Freelanews.com, used for staff reports, news updates, press releases, and collaborative stories produced by the Freelanews Editorial Team.

Also read

  • Nigerian troops rescue 14 kidnapped people in Katsina
  • Army chief sends strong warning to terrorists in Sokoto

Related Posts

Screen Shot 2019 03 11 at 12
Crime

Yobe govt set to implement stiff penalties for capital offences, threatens life imprisonment for rapists

by Freelanews
June 5, 2020
Portable
Breaking News

Portable arraigned on assault and theft charges in Ogun

by Peculiar Adirika
January 13, 2026
EFCC
News

EFCC arraigns three over N42m contract fraud

by Mariam Balogun
May 22, 2026
Articles Image Wealthiest Politicians Nigeria Army 1
Crime

‘It is impossible’ Military will never demand peace from terrorists, CDS says

by Freelanews
March 5, 2021
quotes 13
Crime

‘Black sheep’ Ogun State governor suspends aide, philanthropist over alleged fraud in US (Video)

by Freelanews
May 18, 2021

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
Fadahunsi

Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.