• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home Business & Finance Business

‘Global financial institution fraud’ Huawei’s CFO Meng Wanzhou discharged as US extradition case ends

Freelanews by Freelanews
September 25, 2021
in Business
0 0
0
MENG WANZHOU PS
thenacre-campaign

Huawei Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou flew home to China on Friday after reaching an agreement with U.S. prosecutors to end the bank fraud case against her, relieving a point of tension between China and the United States.

Within hours of the news of the deal, two Canadians who were arrested shortly after Meng was taken into custody in December 2018 were released from Chinese jails and were on their way back to Canada. Beijing had denied that their arrests were linked.

The years-long extradition drama has been a central source of discord in increasingly rocky ties between Beijing and Washington, with Chinese officials signaling that the case needed to be dropped to help end a diplomatic stalemate.

The deal also opens U.S. President Joe Biden to criticism from China hawks in Washington who argue his administration is capitulating to China and one of its top companies at the center of a global technology rivalry between the two countries.

Meng was arrested at Vancouver International Airport on a U.S. warrant, and indicted on bank and wire fraud charges for allegedly misleading HSBC (HSBA.L) in 2013 about the telecommunications equipment giant’s business dealings in Iran.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

Nicole Boeckmann, the acting U.S. attorney in Brooklyn, said that in entering into the agreement, “Meng has taken responsibility for her principal role in perpetrating a scheme to defraud a global financial institution.”

The agreement pertains only to Meng, and the U.S. Justice Department said it is preparing for trial against Huawei and looks forward to proving its case in court.

China’s foreign ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the release of Meng or the Canadians.

A spokeswoman for Huawei declined to comment.

A person familiar with the matter said Meng – the daughter of Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei – had left Canada on a flight to Shenzhen.

The two Canadians, businessman Michael Spavor and former diplomat Michael Kovrig, had been held in China for more than 1,000 days. In August, a Chinese court sentenced Spavor to 11 years in prison for espionage. read more

The International Crisis Group, where Kovrig works, said it was “overjoyed” at the “most just decision” to release him, thanking Canada and the United States for their roles. “The day we have been waiting for 1,020 days has finally arrived,” the advocacy group said in a statement.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters in brief remarks late on Friday the two men had left Chinese airspace just minutes before. He was not asked whether the two countries had struck a bilateral deal.

“I want to thank our allies and partners around the world in the international community who have stood steadfast in solidarity with Canada and with these two Canadians,” he said.

At a hearing in Brooklyn federal court on Friday, which Meng attended virtually from Canada, Assistant U.S. Attorney David Kessler said the government would move to dismiss the charges against her if she complies with all of her obligations under the agreement, which ends in December 2022. He added that Meng will be released on a personal recognizance bond, and that the United States plans to withdraw its request to Canada for her extradition.

Meng pleaded not guilty to the charges in the hearing. When U.S. District Court Judge Ann Donnelly later accepted the deferred prosecution agreement, Meng sighed audibly.

An Air China flight bound for Shenzhen, believed to be carrying Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou, takes off from Vancouver International Aiport in Richmond, British Columbia, Canada September 24, 2021.

A Canadian judge later signed Meng’s order of discharge, vacating her bail conditions and allowing her to go free after nearly three years of house arrest.

She was emotional after the judge’s order, hugging and thanking her lawyers.

Speaking to supporters and reporters on the steps of the court afterward, Meng thanked the judge for her “fairness” and talked of how the case had turned her life “upside down”.

Meng was confined to her expensive Vancouver home at night and monitored 24/7 by private security that she paid for as part of her bail agreement. Referred to by Chinese state media as the “Princess of Huawei,” she was required to wear an electronic ankle bracelet to monitor her movements, which became fodder for the tabloids when it hung above her designer shoes.

adron lemon friday

‘HUAWEI CONFIDENTIAL’

Articles in 2012 and 2013 about Huawei, Hong Kong-registered company Skycom and Meng figured prominently in the U.S. criminal case against her. Reuters reported that Skycom had offered to sell at least 1.3 million euros worth of embargoed Hewlett-Packard computer equipment to Iran’s largest mobile-phone operator in 2010.

Numerous financial and personnel links between Huawei and Skycom, including that Meng had served on Skycom’s board of directors between February 2008 and April 2009. The stories prompted HSBC to question Meng about Reuters findings.

Huawei (HWT.UL) was placed on a U.S. trade blacklist in 2019 that restricts sales to the company for activities contrary to U.S. national security and foreign policy interests. The restrictions have hobbled the company, which suffered its biggest revenue drop in the first half of 2021, after the U.S. supply restrictions drove it to sell a chunk of its once-dominant handset business before new growth areas have matured.

The criminal case against Meng and Huawei is cited in the blacklisting. Huawei is charged with operating as a criminal enterprise, stealing trade secrets and defrauding financial institutions. It has pleaded not guilty.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

A Canadian government official said Ottawa would not comment until the U.S. court proceedings were over.

CHINA VS USA

Huawei has become a dirty word in Washington, with China hawks in Congress quick to react to any news that could be construed as the United States being soft, despite Huawei’s struggles under the trade restrictions.

Then-President Donald Trump politicized the case when he told Reuters soon after Meng’s arrest that he would intervene if it would serve national security or help secure a trade deal. Meng’s lawyers have said she was a pawn in the political battle between the two super powers.

Republican China hardliners in Congress called Friday’s deal a “capitulation.”

“Instead of standing firm against China’s hostage-taking and blackmail, President Biden folded,” Republican Senator Tom Cotton said in a statement.

Senior U.S. officials have said that Meng’s case was being handled solely by the Justice Department and the case had no bearing on the U.S. approach to strained ties with China.

During U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman’s July trip to China, Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Xie Feng insisted that the United States drop its extradition case against Meng.

U.S. officials have acknowledged that Beijing had linked Meng’s case to the case of the two detained Canadians, but insisted that Washington would not be drawn into viewing them as bargaining chips.

freelanews
Freelanews

Freelanews is the editorial byline of Freelanews.com, used for staff reports, news updates, press releases, and collaborative stories produced by the Freelanews Editorial Team.

Also read

  • ABU opens its stage to Nigeria’s next music stars as BIGI, Fearless bring Soundcity OnTour to Zaria
  • FAAN denies ban on airport e-hailing taxis

Related Posts

Stanbic IBTC Holdings Building
Business

IBTC Named Amongst Top 10 Brands Making Impact

by Freelanews
December 17, 2019
UBA ceos freelanews
Appointments

‘I’m very pleased’ Kennedy Uzoka retires as Alawuba takes over as UBA GMD (Photos)

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
August 1, 2022
Olayemi Cardoso Nigeria Brazil talks aim to deepen financial ties, enhance fintech collaboration, and increase remittance flows
Business

Olayemi Cardoso strengthens Nigeria-Brazil financial ties

by Maryam Idris
September 1, 2025
Wura
Business

Wura ati Fadaka Estate: A Serene Haven for Peace of Mind in Ibeju Lekki

by Quadri Olaitan
May 25, 2023
Screenshot 2024 06 03 at 15 56 15 ap24143074726273.jpg WEBP Image 2000 %C3%97 1125 pixels %E2%80%94 Scaled 64
Business

New York Stock Exchange is investigating technical issue as dozens of stocks are halted

by Freelanews
June 3, 2024

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

APC

APC names Yari DG, Uzodimma secretary of 2027 campaign council

August 22, 2026
iPhone

VIDEO: iPhone dispute ends in tragic deaths of Indian family

August 22, 2026
Nashville

Nashville hospital drug mix-up leaves four patients harmed

August 22, 2026
Pentagon

Pentagon moves to dismiss Stars, Stripes publisher, editor

August 22, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
APC

APC names Yari DG, Uzodimma secretary of 2027 campaign council

August 22, 2026
iPhone

VIDEO: iPhone dispute ends in tragic deaths of Indian family

August 22, 2026
Nashville

Nashville hospital drug mix-up leaves four patients harmed

August 22, 2026
Pentagon

Pentagon moves to dismiss Stars, Stripes publisher, editor

August 22, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Davido

    Davido, Wande Coal feud escalates over nude photos

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nashville hospital drug mix-up leaves four patients harmed

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Atlético defends Álvarez amid fierce transfer pressure

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Edo governor’s aide says Davido is banned from performing in Edo (VIDEO)

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

APC

APC names Yari DG, Uzodimma secretary of 2027 campaign council

August 22, 2026
iPhone

VIDEO: iPhone dispute ends in tragic deaths of Indian family

August 22, 2026
Nashville

Nashville hospital drug mix-up leaves four patients harmed

August 22, 2026
Pentagon

Pentagon moves to dismiss Stars, Stripes publisher, editor

August 22, 2026
FG

FG unveils bold plan to boost Nigeria’s power access

August 22, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.