• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News General

‘Post-judgement hearing’ NIS releases Odili’s passport, gets N2m sanction withdrawn

Rtn. Victor Ojelabi by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
February 7, 2022
in General
0 0
0
PETER ODILI PS L
thenacre-campaign
Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1
adron lemon friday

The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) has released the seized passport of a former Rivers State governor, Peter Odili, a development that came over two months after the agency was ordered by the Federal High Court in Abuja to return the document to him.

NIS’ lawyer, Jimoh Adamu, disclosed this at a post-judgement hearing at the court on Monday.

Mr Odili’s lawyer, Ifedayo Adedipe, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, during the hearing, confirmed the release of his client’s passport.

He had initiated the post-judgement proceedings months after the agency refused to comply with the court’s October 2021 verdict ordering the agency to release his client’s passport.

On December 21, 2021, the judge, Inyang Ekwo, slammed a N2million fine on the NIS and its lawyer for ignoring its order to appear to explain why they refused to comply with the October 2021 verdict.

On Monday, however, Mr Adamu told the court the agency had since complied with the judgement in December, referring to an affidavit of compliance he filed on February 7, 2022, to report the agency’s release of Mr Odili’s passport to him.

He said the agency complied with the judgement despite filing an appeal against it, and urged the judge to revoke the N2 million fine slammed on him and the NIS.

He protested the alleged embarrassment caused him and his client by the lead counsel to Odili’s lawyer by allegedly misleading the court to impose the fine on him and his client.

He said contrary to the information given by the lawyer during the post-judgement proceedings on December 21, 2021, the passport was released to the former governor about 24 hours earlier on December 20, 2021.

According to the lawyer, the passport was released through Mr Odili’s daughter who is a judge of the FCT High Court, Njideka Nwosu-Iheme.

The lawyer tendered the letter of acknowledgment by Mr Odili confirming receipt of the document and urged the court to reverse the N2 million fine imposed on him and the NIS.

He also urged the court to also reverse another order asking the AGF to penalise him.

In his ruling, the judge, citing the information by the NIS’ counsel and confirmation by Odili’s lawyer that the order of the court had been obeyed, ordered the reversal of his previous orders.

He reversed both the order the N2 million fine slammed on the NIS and its counsel and that the AGF should penalise him.

Subsequently, Mr Ekwo adjourned the suit till May 25 for report of the Court of Appeal proceedings in respect of the appeal regarding the case.

NIS operatives had seized Mr Odili’s passport at the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport in Abuja upon his arrival from a trip to the United Kingdom on 20 June, 2021.

Dissatisfied with the seizure, Mr Odili, who said the reason for the seizure was not disclosed to him, sued the NIS and its Comptroller-General to retrieve his passport.

In a judgement last October, the judge, Inyang Ekwo, ordered the NIS to immediately release Mr Odili’s passport.

Mr Ekwo, in his judgement, described the action of the NIS as “illegal and unconstitutional,” adding, “No citizen of this country should be treated like this, irrespective of class or social status.”

Despite the subsisting orders, the NIS continued withholding Mr Odili’s passport.

The development made Mr Odili to return to the court, complaining about the service’s serial violations of the court’s orders.

Both NIS and its lawyers ignored the court’s repeated summons to appear for the post-judgement proceedings initiated by Mr Odili.

At the December 21, 2021 proceedings, Mr Odili’s lawyer told the judge that the NIS “chose to treat the orders of the court with levity, contempt and disdain.”

Ruling on the issue, the court held that the respondents (NIS and its Comptroller-General) had been given “reasonable and ample opportunity to comply with the orders of this court.”

The judge recalled that “the respondents have not complied with the orders of this court to release the international passport of the applicant (Mr Odili) as ordered by this court.”

“Consequently, I make an order directing the respondents to pay the cost of N2 million to the applicant (Mr Odili) for making the applicant come to court when they knew that they were not going to be in court.”

Mr Ekwo further directed the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), who is also a respondent in the suit, to “take disciplinary action against Jimoh Adamu, who is the lawyer to the respondent, for his unprofessional conduct in the handling of this case.”

otunba victor profile picture scaled
Rtn. Victor Ojelabi

Ojelabi, the publisher of Freelanews, is an award winning and professionally trained mass communicator and a recipient of the D9112 Superstar Icon Award, who writes ruthlessly about pop culture, religion, politics and entertainment.

Also read

  • Gumi says public money can support marriages under shariah
  • Sokoto Police rescue 10-year-old boy, arrest suspect

Related Posts

12 6
General

Agbakoba seeks INEC chairman removal, hails Emefiele, Bawa suspension

by Quadri Olaitan
June 16, 2023
delta jpg
General

Pain is temporary, Ede Dafinone hails president Tinubu over subsidy removal

by Quadri Olaitan
June 1, 2023
Airport Iwelumo 2
General

We cannot confirm the new date for resumption of flights, says NCAA

by Freelanews
June 18, 2020
unnamed 5
General

Exclusive: MC Oluomo buries mum (Photos)

by Freelanews
April 30, 2020
37d0da5f a53b 4fc0 ae62 24ae5f927706
General

Nigerian transparency watchdog demands Immediate release of Amb. Dr. Otunba Adejare Adegbenro, public apology from police

by Quadri Olaitan
May 7, 2024

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

ADC

ADC criticises Tinubu over rising food inflation

August 18, 2026
APC

JUST IN: 700 APC members defect to ADC in Sokoto

August 18, 2026
Rodri

Rodri joins Barcelona in €76.5m City move

August 18, 2026
Tinubu

NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

August 18, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
ADC

ADC criticises Tinubu over rising food inflation

August 18, 2026
APC

JUST IN: 700 APC members defect to ADC in Sokoto

August 18, 2026
Rodri

Rodri joins Barcelona in €76.5m City move

August 18, 2026
Tinubu

NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

August 18, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Ogogo

    BREAKING: Nollywood actor Ogogo seriously ill with stage 4 cancer (VIDEO)

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Kemta Ogboni house sealed amid Yayi dispute

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Primate Ayodele warns Tinubu of 2027 defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Canada probe exposes alleged fake Nigerian doctor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

ADC

ADC criticises Tinubu over rising food inflation

August 18, 2026
APC

JUST IN: 700 APC members defect to ADC in Sokoto

August 18, 2026
Rodri

Rodri joins Barcelona in €76.5m City move

August 18, 2026
Tinubu

NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

August 18, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA arrests 80, clears 16 drug joints in Kano

August 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.