• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Sanwo-Olu orders demolition after 9 die in building collapse

Maryam Idris by Maryam Idris
June 26, 2026
in News
0 0
0
Sanwo-Olu
thenacre-campaign

Sanwo-Olu orders demolition of distressed buildings after the Alakija collapse killed nine people, warning erring property owners of prosecution

Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has ordered the immediate demolition of all structurally distressed buildings surrounding the site of the collapsed three-storey building in Alakija, Lagos, following a tragedy that claimed nine lives and left 27 people rescued alive.

The directive was announced on Friday by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omotoso, during an inspection of the collapse site on behalf of the governor, as the Lagos State Government intensified measures to prevent a recurrence of similar incidents.

Governor Sanwo-Olu also directed that owners of the collapsed building and other property owners found to have violated building safety regulations should be prosecuted in accordance with the laws of Lagos State.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

“Our first duty is to sympathise with the families who lost their loved ones. The governor is saddened by this unfortunate incident and prays that such a tragedy never happens again,” Omotoso said.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

According to the commissioner, the collapsed building had previously been identified as structurally distressed and officially marked for evacuation by relevant authorities. However, some occupants allegedly ignored the government’s directive and continued to occupy the property.

Describing the incident as avoidable, Omotoso stressed that strict compliance with evacuation notices could have prevented the loss of lives.

“All buildings already marked as distressed around this area will be pulled down. We cannot afford to wait for another building to collapse before taking action. Protecting lives remains the government’s highest priority,” he said.

The commissioner disclosed that emergency responders worked throughout the night following the collapse, successfully rescuing 27 occupants alive from the rubble. Sadly, nine victims were confirmed dead after the extensive rescue operation.

Omotoso commended the coordinated response by the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Building Control Agency, the Nigeria Police Force, the Command and Control Centre, the Lagos State Neighbourhood Safety Corps and other emergency agencies involved in the operation.

He also confirmed that investigations into the immediate cause of the building collapse were ongoing, while survivors rescued from the debris were receiving medical treatment at various hospitals across the state.

“The owners of the collapsed building are under investigation. Anyone found culpable or who frustrated government enforcement efforts will face prosecution. No one is above the law,” Omotoso stated.

The commissioner further condemned the construction of buildings beneath high-tension electricity transmission lines, describing the practice as a serious threat to public safety.

“You cannot build under high-tension power lines. It is dangerous, unlawful and unacceptable in any civilised society. Such actions show complete disregard for public safety, and the government will not tolerate them,” he added.

Omotoso urged residents occupying buildings that have been identified as unsafe to comply immediately with government evacuation directives, emphasising that preserving human life must always take precedence over economic interests.

adron lemon friday

“No business, source of income or personal convenience is worth risking human lives. Residents must cooperate with government officials whenever evacuation becomes necessary,” he said.

Also speaking during the inspection, the Permanent Secretary of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, praised emergency workers and security personnel for their dedication throughout the overnight rescue operation, describing their swift response as instrumental in saving lives.

The Commissioner for Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Relations, Mr Gbenga Oyerinde, who accompanied Omotoso to the site, also commended the professionalism and commitment demonstrated by the various emergency response agencies.

Building collapses have remained a recurring safety concern in Lagos, with authorities repeatedly attributing many incidents to structural defects, non-compliance with approved building standards, substandard construction practices and the continued occupation of properties declared unsafe.

The latest tragedy is expected to intensify enforcement of building regulations and strengthen efforts to safeguard lives and property across the state.

Maryam Idris
Maryam Idris

Maryam Idris is a reporter and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, business, and public affairs.

Also read

  • Sanwo-Olu rewards LASU’s top graduates with ₦20m each
  • Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

Related Posts

Naira dollar 1 jpg
General

Naira drops at parallel market, closes 900/$ official window

by Quadri Olaitan
January 26, 2024
Godwin Obaseki
General

Edo 2020: Gov. Obaseki approves venue for PDP primaries amid COVID-19

by Freelanews
June 8, 2020
Borno
Security

Four arrested, one killed in Benin market kidnap probe

by David Okere
June 24, 2026
A file photo of the Port Harcourt refinery (Photo: Facebook/NNPC Limited)
General

Port Harcourt refinery commences operation after years of shutdown

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
December 21, 2023
5f1ae833b09a9
General

Kwara state government cancels 2020 Eid prayers over COVID-19

by Freelanews
July 24, 2020

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
Fadahunsi

Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.