A few customers of a commercial bank located in Onitsha in the Anambra State of Nigeria got different levels of injuries as they ran for safety due to a fire outbreak at the bank.
It was found that the incident that took place on Friday, July 15, led to the near-death of two persons who were on the scene during the fire outbreak.
Following a commotion in the banking hall when an alarm of the fire that reportedly originated from the generator located in the bank premises started making noise causing many people to scamper, due to which they got various levels of injuries.
An eyewitness stated that some of the customers got injuries while they were running into each other, while some broke the glass windows to jump out in order to save their lives.
He further said that, fortunately, two people trapped in one of the offices were rescued by the police, who came to the scene shortly after the incident took place.
While confirming the incident, Tochukwu Ikenga, the Anambra State Police Spokesman, stated that the fire had been put off, and the situation was being examined.
On July 15, 2022, Friday, at around 10 am, Anambra State Police Officials rescued two victims of the fire incident that occurred at UBA Bank, which is located opposite Ejison plaza’s main market, Onitsha, read a statement.
Initial information discloses that the fire incident was caused due to the heat of the generator set inside the bank premises.
This made the customers scamper for their safety, and in this process, some of the doors and windows got broken.
The fire was put off, and more investigation was going on. Further details will be communicated soon, said the police officials.