Oluwo of Iwo dismisses false bandit report on Iwo–Osogbo Road, urging residents to resist panic and verify information
The Oluwo of Iwo has condemned a viral social media report alleging that suspected bandits attacked commuters along the Iwo–Osogbo Road, describing the claim as a dangerous falsehood capable of inciting needless panic.
Also read: Kwara bandits demand N100m ransom for church victims
Speaking on Friday, Oba Abdulrosheed Akanbi challenged anyone with credible evidence of such an incident to come forward, insisting that no attack occurred and branding the circulating posts as fabricated and malicious.
Panic had spread across Osun State on Wednesday night after several Facebook users claimed that gunmen were sighted between Osuntedo and Idoo communities.
The vague posts were amplified by multiple voice notes, further fuelling anxiety.
In a statement, the monarch said Osun remained peaceful and urged residents not to fall for fearmongering. He stressed that the longstanding tranquillity of the state should not be undermined by unverified claims.
According to him, “The report of a bandits’ attack along the Iwo–Osogbo Road yesterday was not true. It was a blatant lie concocted to discredit the route.
Osun State remains peaceful. No fake news should be allowed to fly.”
Reassuring residents, the Oluwo added that Iwo was secure under his watch, stating that he would personally intervene should any real threat arise.
His remarks underscored the need for community vigilance anchored on truth, not rumour.
The Osun State Police Command also dismissed the alleged attack as false. The Command’s spokesperson, Abiodun Ojelabi, explained that the incident stemmed from a mob reaction triggered by a misleading alarm, not banditry.
Ojelabi said the panic began when a Toyota Sienna rammed into the rear of a commercial bus near the Gbongan axis.
The bus occupants, believing no damage had been done, refused to stop, leading the Sienna driver to erroneously accuse them of attempted kidnapping.
The false alarm drew a mob that chased down the bus, vandalised it and attacked the occupants before a local hunter intervened and escorted the victims to the Iwo Divisional Headquarters.
The mob later trailed them to the station, heightening tension, prompting police reinforcement from Osogbo to restore order.
The victims are now safe and under protective custody, while efforts are ongoing to identify those involved in the mob attack.
Also read: Osun Police debunk alarming bandit attack claims
The Command warned against the rising spread of unverified social media claims capable of endangering innocent lives, stressing the need for residents to report suspicions responsibly rather than resort to jungle justice.



















