Trepy Makes Encouraging Recovery After Pool Accident
Cagliari forward Yael Fritz Junior Trepy, 20, regained full consciousness and was taken off mechanical ventilation at Santissima Annunziata Civil Hospital in Sassari, Sardinia, on Wednesday, 19 August 2026, two days after a serious swimming pool accident left the French footballer in intensive care.
The encouraging development came after Trepy had been placed in a medically induced coma and connected to a ventilator following the incident at a villa in northern Sardinia on Sunday.
Also read: Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”
Doctors gradually reduced his sedation and respiratory support as his condition improved, allowing him to wake from the induced coma.
Dr Stefania Milia, director of the Emergency and Intensive Care Unit at Santissima Annunziata Civil Hospital, said Trepy’s neurological condition was particularly encouraging.
“Upon awakening, the patient showed a full recovery of consciousness: he is alert and co-operative and, at present, shows no evident neurological deficits,” Milia said.
Trepy remains in intensive care, where doctors are continuing to monitor his respiratory and overall clinical condition.
Milia added that the young footballer “continues to receive close clinical and respiratory monitoring”, indicating that his recovery remains at an early stage despite the significant improvement.
The incident occurred while Trepy was spending time with friends during a weekend break.
Reports from Italy said he got into difficulty after reaching the deeper part of a swimming pool where he could no longer touch the bottom.
Emergency responders subsequently rescued him and arranged an airlift to hospital.
Cagliari confirmed that Trepy had been removed from mechanical ventilation and brought out of the medically induced coma.
Reuters reported that doctors found him conscious, alert and responsive, with no apparent signs of neurological damage.
The incident came only days after Trepy featured for Cagliari in the club’s 1-0 Coppa Italia victory over Arezzo.
The 20-year-old played 54 minutes in the match before being substituted.
Trepy’s rapid rise through Cagliari’s youth system has made him one of the club’s emerging young talents.
He joined the Sardinian club in 2022 after beginning his development with Villeneuve Académie Football and US Créteil-Lusitanos in France.
His breakthrough season arrived in 2025-26.
Trepy made his Serie A debut against Cremonese on 8 January 2026 and scored only minutes after coming off the bench to secure a 2-2 draw for Cagliari.
The club later rewarded his progress with a contract extension until June 2030.
Trepy also played a notable role for Cagliari’s Primavera side, scoring in the team’s 3-0 Coppa Italia Primavera final victory over AC Milan in 2025.
His senior statistics remain modest but promising.
Trepy made eight Serie A appearances during the 2025-26 campaign, scoring once, according to Opta data.
Cagliari had included Trepy in its squad for the 2026-27 pre-season, underlining the club’s continued faith in the young forward.
The football club has remained in close contact with Trepy’s family and the medical team since the accident, while respecting requests for privacy surrounding his condition.
The latest medical update provides a powerful moment of hope after what initially appeared to be a critical situation.
However, Trepy’s recovery is not yet complete.
His continued stay in intensive care and need for respiratory monitoring mean doctors will remain cautious as they assess his progress in the coming days.
Also read: Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”
For Cagliari and those close to the young forward, the return of consciousness and removal of mechanical ventilation represent an important step forward.
Oreoluwa is an accountant and a brand writer with a flair for journalism.


























