• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News Crime

‘Horrific situation’ Dozens killed as terrorists attack northern Mozambique

Freelanews by Freelanews
March 29, 2021
in Crime
0 0
0
WhatsApp Image 2021 03 29 at 12.05.21 PM
thenacre-campaign

The attempted evacuation of people trapped during an attack in northern Mozambique by Islamist militants has led to multiple casualties, with dozens of people still unaccounted for, according to reports, in what the US embassy in Maputo is calling a “horrific situation.”

The town of Palma in Cabo Delgado province was attacked by Islamist insurgents on Wednesday, according to multiple sources contacted . Witnesses reported seeing bodies in the streets after the insurgents, believed to be affiliated with the terrorist group ISIS, attacked Palma from three directions, Human Rights Watch said on Saturday.

Dozens of people have been killed, Omar Saranga, spokesman for the Mozambique Defense and Security Forces, said in a broadcast statement Sunday. The fatalities include both locals and foreigners working in the region, he said, without detailing their nationalities.

Among the dead were seven people who were ambushed while trying to leave the Amaarula Hotel and join a vehicle convoy, Saranga added.

According to several accounts provided , a convoy of about 17 vehicles left Palma on late Friday afternoon. There were many foreign workers in the convoy as well as Mozambicans. Palma is near a major natural gas project run by the French company Total.
A regional security source based in Pemba said the convoy was ambushed and only seven vehicles reached safety. However, several people in those vehicles were killed or injured. The other vehicles and their occupants remain unaccounted for, source said.
Another source — who works in the area and has direct knowledge of the logistics operation — told CNN that at least eight vehicles in the convoy were still missing. When asked how many people were still unaccounted for, the source said at least 50, adding it was a “conservative estimate.”
The accounts provided say the convoy left a hotel on the northern outskirts of Palma heading towards the large Total natural gas project on the Afungi Peninsula, some 15 kilometers away. But it had no air cover from helicopters that had been deployed to the area by a South African military contractor.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

The security source in Pemba also said attempts to reach the nearby coastline with rescue boats had been fruitless, after the vessels had come under fire from the militants, known locally as Shabaab, and with no links to the Somali group of the same name. However, some people who had managed to escape Palma were subsequently brought from a nearby port to Pemba, some 200 kilometers to the south, on board a ferry. They included about 120 foreigners.

In his Sunday statement, Saranga said the country’s Defense and Security Forces (FDS) had “reinforced their operational strategy to contain the criminal offensives of the terrorists.”

“At this point in time, the FDS remain committed in clarifying the areas of Palma in order to guarantee the safe return of the population. All FDS positions are currently under its control,” he said.

Regional security sources say the attackers used explosives to target bank branches in Palma. They say that some of the insurgents wore military uniforms. Human Rights Watch and others say that in the early stages of the assault witnesses described the militants as attacking and killing local people in their homes and on the streets of Palma.

Many people who have been living and working in Palma remain out of reach.
In a statement to CNN, the US embassy in Maputo said it was “aware of one U.S. citizen who was in Palma, but has been safely evacuated,” adding that it was in touch with “Mozambican authorities, international missions, and the private sector regarding the ongoing situation and humanitarian relief efforts.”

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

“The U.S. Embassy in Mozambique continues to monitor the horrific situation in Palma District,” it also said.

adron lemon friday

One woman waiting at the port in Pemba for news of her brother had been unable to reach him by phone. “It’s heart-breaking, I don’t know… You lose someone and you don’t know where they are, what condition they’re in, that person is not reachable,” she told a journalist.

At least two coaches carrying evacuees later arrived at Pemba airport for a flight to the capital, Maputo.
Total announced Saturday it was suspending plans to restart operations in the Afungi Peninsula, which were previously halted after insurgent attacks in January.

freelanews
Freelanews

Freelanews is the editorial byline of Freelanews.com, used for staff reports, news updates, press releases, and collaborative stories produced by the Freelanews Editorial Team.

Also read

  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”
  • NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

Related Posts

Oba
Breaking News

Oba Timileyin Ajayi hails arrest of four over Ido-Ayegunle killings

by Mariam Balogun
February 9, 2026
peddler
News

Drama unfolds as suspected drug peddler dies during trial

by Mariam Balogun
April 1, 2026
Big Brother Naija star, Tega Dominic signed an endorsement deal with skincare brand – Jenny’s Glow Nigeria
Crime

NAFDAC seals Jenny’s Glow office over non-compliance (Video)

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
August 26, 2023
09C378F3 540A 47EF 972C E17C252AEE86
Crime

‘€482,000 involved!’ Suspected fraudster, Saidu Abdu Abdullahi, on trial over counterfeit funds in Access Bank

by Freelanews
January 22, 2022
Screenshot 2022 05 06 at 12 47 32 The fake Army General Bolarinwa Abiodun.jpg WEBP Image 1024 %C3%97 570
Crime

‘His account balance was N1,319.04’ EFCC tackles fake army general, Bolarinwa Abiodun, over N200mln fraud

by Freelanews
May 6, 2022

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

ROI

Founders and investors find ROI in ME

August 19, 2026
Burna Boy

Burna Boy reveals plans to bring Vinicius, Jaylen Brown to Nigeria

August 19, 2026
Sule

Sule moves to end NSUK strike, promises students relief

August 19, 2026
South Africa

South Africa still issuing visas to Nigerians, envoy says

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
ROI

Founders and investors find ROI in ME

August 19, 2026
Burna Boy

Burna Boy reveals plans to bring Vinicius, Jaylen Brown to Nigeria

August 19, 2026
Sule

Sule moves to end NSUK strike, promises students relief

August 19, 2026
South Africa

South Africa still issuing visas to Nigerians, envoy says

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Primate Ayodele warns Tinubu of 2027 defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Canada probe exposes alleged fake Nigerian doctor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

ROI

Founders and investors find ROI in ME

August 19, 2026
Burna Boy

Burna Boy reveals plans to bring Vinicius, Jaylen Brown to Nigeria

August 19, 2026
Sule

Sule moves to end NSUK strike, promises students relief

August 19, 2026
South Africa

South Africa still issuing visas to Nigerians, envoy says

August 19, 2026
Omo-Aje

Omo-Aje demands credible 2027 elections from INEC

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.