• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News General

‘Grieving!’ Burkina Faso mourn following Jihadist massacre

Freelanews by Freelanews
August 20, 2021
in General
0 0
0
burkina faso resistance coup e1442833908615
thenacre-campaign

The impoverished Sahel state of Burkina Faso was plunged once more into mourning on Thursday, as the toll of people killed by suspected jihadists the day before climbed from 49 to 80, including 65 civilians.

The national flag was lowered to half-mast for three days of mourning at the parliament, presidency and government offices in the capital Ouagadougou, an AFP journalist saw, while the heavy casualties raised fresh doubts about the country’s armed forces.

Several television and radio channels changed their programming, mostly broadcasting songs paying tribute to the defence and security forces.

Newspapers and online media placed a black edging of mourning around their front pages, although some raised pointed questions over the country’s security crisis.

“Over the past five years, the days have come and gone but look the same to the Burkinabe public,” said the online outlet Wakatsera.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

“The flags are raised and then almost immediately dropped to half-mast to mourn new dead, civilians and/or troops, in attacks by armed individuals who are usually never identified,” it said.

“This time, the mourning will last 72 hours. What about tomorrow?”

The landlocked country has been battered for the past six years by jihadist attacks from neighbouring Mali — the epicentre of a brutal insurgency that began in 2012 and has also hit Niger.

Thousands of soldiers and civilians have died in the three countries, while according to UN figures, more than two million people have fled their homes.

In Burkina Faso itself, the toll stands at more than 1,500 dead and 1.3 million displaced.

In Wednesday’s attack, 65 civilians and 15 gendarmes were killed near the town of Gorgadji in Burkina’s Sahel region, communications minister and government spokesman Ousseni Tamboura said late Thursday.

The location is in the so-called three-border area, where the frontiers of the three countries converge — and gunmen linked to Al-Qaeda and the so-called Islamic State roam.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

The security forces killed 58 “terrorists” and the rest fled, according to the government, which on Thursday offered its “congratulations to the defence and security forces” for the action.

adron lemon friday

It was the third major attack on Burkina troops in the past two weeks, placing a spotlight on the country’s poorly equipped and ill-trained armed forces against a highly mobile foe.

Since the start of August, more than 90 people have died in attacks in the north and northeast of the country.

Overnight on June 4, gunmen killed at least 132 people, including children, in the northeast village of Solhan. It was Burkina’s deadliest attack in the history of the insurgency.

“With each new attack, we say we’ve hit bottom, but then another one comes along, reminding us that there is always something worse,” said Bassirou Sedogo, a 47-year-old businessman.

“We observe national mourning, but we also wonder how an ambush against a military convoy… can leave so many casualties.

“If they can kill so many civilians who are under escort, that means no one anywhere in the area is safe from these killings.”

The police and volunteers in the Gorgadji attack had been providing a security escort for civilian victims of preceding assaults who were going back to their homes elsewhere in the region, the authorities say.

On Niger’s side of the “three-border” region, more than 450 people have been killed since the start of the year.

On Monday, armed men arriving on motorbikes killed 37 civilians in the village of Darey-Daye as they worked in the fields. Four women and 13 children were among the dead.

freelanews
Freelanews

Freelanews is the editorial byline of Freelanews.com, used for staff reports, news updates, press releases, and collaborative stories produced by the Freelanews Editorial Team.

Also read

  • Burkina Faso finally releases detained Nigerian soldiers, aircraft
  • NAF C-130 emergency landing in Burkina Faso not intelligence mission

Related Posts

General

Hello world!

by Freelanews
July 27, 2020
Nigerian woman insults man over train seat
General

Nigerian woman calls man ‘white idiot’ over train seat in UK

by Freelanews
August 27, 2024
Image 2023 07 04 at 25043 PM
General

Election tribunal: Dapo Abiodun’s defence collapses as lawyers force adjournment (Video, Photos)

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
July 4, 2023
WhatsApp Image 2021 04 03 at 3.10.10 PM
General

‘Give peace a chance’ Speaker Obasa opens up about insecurity in his Easter message

by Freelanews
April 3, 2021
world health organization WHO 600x316 1
General

‘Nigeria is No. 5’ Cases of coronavirus in Africa rise to 34000, WHO says

by Freelanews
April 29, 2020

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
Fadahunsi

Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.