• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News Crime

Rape: Police interrogates journalist for exposing ‘pedophile Islamic cleric’

Freelanews by Freelanews
January 15, 2020
in Crime
0 0
0
IMG 20200114 193135 756
thenacre-campaign

The Nigerian Police Force, Zone 11, in Osun State on Tuesday, detained a Premium Times’ journalist, Alfred Olufemi, over a report that exposed an Islamic cleric, who raped a 16-year-old girl, in Ede.

Mr Olufemi, who was accompanied by another reporter, Adejumo Kabir, to the police station, was detained for about six hours. The two journalists arrived at the station around 1: 30 p.m. and left the police custody around 7:15 p.m.

While in custody, a police officer bullied the two reporters and forced our correspondent to delete pictorial evidence of his colleague writing a statement at their office.

Recall that in July last year, the platform exclusively reported how Habeebulah Abdulrahman, (popularly known as Al-Edewy), was accused of raping a 16-year-old female student of his Islamic school.

In response, Mr Abdulrahman claimed that the teenager is his wife and he had the right to have sexual intercourse with her.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

The victim, born in 2003, lost her dad at a young age and stays with her mother in Ede, a town in Osun State. She recently completed her junior secondary education in the town.

According to Premium Times, it was revealed that the cleric, in January 2019, invited the girl to join his Islamic class, which is a short distance from her house, for proper Qur’anic teachings.

The girl yielded, with the consent of her mother.

But, the Islamic scholar, after a while, requested her hand in marriage. The girl, on several occasions, rejected the proposal. However, Mr Abdulrahman persisted until he raped her.

This newspaper gathered that he gave the victim several gifts, with the motive of luring her into marriage, but when confronted, he claimed he was only supporting her because she has no father.

According to Section 358 and 359 of the Criminal Code Act- part five, anyone who commits the offence of rape is liable to life imprisonment; while attempt to commit the offence is felonious and such offender is liable to 14-year imprisonment.

Also, Section 31 of the Child Rights Act 2003 stipulates that a person who commits an offence of ‘defilement’ is liable on conviction to life imprisonment.

Although yet to be domesticated in 11 other states, the Osun State government passed the Child Rights Act into law in 2017.

“After he was detained, his lawyer came around and two lawyers from the side of the victim were also present,” a police source said. “The police said they would file a lawsuit as soon as possible.”

This was confirmed by members of the victim’s family and their lawyer. He was thereafter arraigned on a three-count charge of abduction of a young girl to an unknown destination to have carnal knowledge of her and indecent assault by touching.

Mr Abdulrahman was granted bail with the condition of providing a level 12 civil servant who owns a landed property- a condition which he met. He was freed afterwards.

Pressure

Following this newspaper’s report, the family and our correspondent continue to face pressure and threat from unknown individuals who warned against further reports on the incident.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

After much pressure, members of the victim’s family shared dissenting views on the settlement of the issue.

While some believed that an out-of-court settlement is a welcome development, some said the matter should be treated as a criminal case and justice should prevail.

adron lemon friday

The 16-year-old girl later vowed to commit suicide if her family accepts an offer to settle the matter out of court.

The proposed settlement includes that the accused admit to committing the offence and tender an unreserved apology, which he did.

In December, Premium Times’ journalist was contacted by a police officer, identified as Sergeant Adisa, who informed him about a petition against him.

The petition was over the report, which exposed the criminal act of the cleric.

On Tuesday, Mr Olufemi alongside this reporter honoured the police invitation. He was accused of publishing ‘fake’ report about the personality of the cleric.

In his petition, Mr Abdulrahman denied granting any interview to newspaper, a claim which differs from his position when he was in the police custody, where he affirmed that the reporter ‘disturbed’ him on several occasions.

freelanews
Freelanews

Freelanews is the editorial byline of Freelanews.com, used for staff reports, news updates, press releases, and collaborative stories produced by the Freelanews Editorial Team.

Also read

  • Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

Related Posts

ex-convict
News

Ikeja court convicts ex-convict in N12m theft case

by Mariam Balogun
March 24, 2026
59391390 f2e8 11ec bd41 87b161902afa
Crime

‘Organ harvesting’ Ike Ekweremadu, wife charged with child trafficking in UK

by Freelanews
June 23, 2022
84957676 833047200455587 7731694680517115904 n
Crime

After killing mother, kidnappers release children of Kaduna doctor

by Freelanews
February 7, 2020
### Keyphrase: **Ofure Prince Akpolo Sentenced for Internet Fraud** #### Headline: Ofure Prince Akpolo Sentenced to Three Years Imprisonment for Internet Fraud #### Short Summary: Ofure Prince Akpolo was sentenced to three years in prison for his involvement in $22,297.97 internet fraud. The Edo State High Court convicted him after he pleaded guilty to retaining proceeds of crime. #### Detailed Story: A state high court in Benin, Edo State, has sentenced Ofure Prince Akpolo to three years imprisonment for his involvement in internet fraud totalling $22,297.97. Akpolo was convicted by Justice W.I. Aziegbemhin on September 24, 2024, after pleading guilty to a one-count charge filed by the Benin Zonal Directorate of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). The charge accused Akpolo of illegally taking possession of the funds in his domiciliary account, knowing they were proceeds of cybercrime. Akpolo's counsel pleaded for leniency, arguing that he had shown remorse. However, the court convicted and sentenced him, allowing an option of a N500,000 fine. The court further ordered Akpolo to forfeit his phone and bank account balances to the Federal Government, as these were deemed proceeds of crime. The judge also mandated Akpolo to sign a written undertaking to be of good behaviour following his release. Akpolo’s arrest and subsequent prosecution by the EFCC marked the beginning of his journey to the Correctional Centre. #### Excerpt: Ofure Prince Akpolo was sentenced to three years for internet fraud and ordered to forfeit his criminal proceeds to the government. #### Tags: internet fraud, EFCC, Edo State, Ofure Prince Akpolo, cybercrime prosecution
Crime

Benin man Ofure Akpolo jailed for $22,297.97 internet fraud

by Quadri Olaitan
October 5, 2024
Yobe police arrest notorious terrorist gang leader
Crime

Yobe police arrest notorious terrorist gang leader

by Quadri Olaitan
June 18, 2024

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
Fadahunsi

Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.