• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News General

‘They are truly bad’ Real reason why we rejected FG rice, Oyo gov’t reveals

Freelanews by Freelanews
April 26, 2020
in General
0 0
0
Seyi Makinde 1
thenacre-campaign

The government of Oyo State on Sunday explained the reason it rejected the 1,800 bags of rice as COVID-19 palliatives by the Nigerian Customs Service, saying they were truly bad and unfit for consumption.

A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde, Mr. Taiwo Adisa, who equally serves as a member of the COVID-19 Task Force, indicated that any claims to the contrary was a disservice to humanity and attempt at endangering the lives of the people in the state.

“No government that is worth its name would agree to serve its people with food items that are infested with weevils that are clearly visible to the eyes,” the statement read.

The statement read: “On Friday, April 24, members of the Food Security sub-committee of the Oyo State COVID-19 Task Force embarked on an early morning meeting that lasted close to three hours.

“The meeting was to review the report of the technical team that had been conducting tests on the 1,800 bags of 50kg rice presented to the state government by the Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) in respect of Federal Government’s COVID-19 palliatives.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

“The Committee eventually invited the Media, after coming to a conclusion that a majority of the 1,800 bags were not fit for human consumption as they had been infested with weevils that freely move about on every of the bags kept at the storehouse in the Secretariat, Ibadan.

“The weevils were clearly noticeable as each or the warehouses was opened. Television cameras were allowed to film the bags of rice just to show the clear reason the bags were being returned.

“A letter that was co-signed by the Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development, Commissioner for Special Duties and the Executive Adviser on Agribusiness, was also prepared for onward delivery to the Oyo/Osun Command of the Customs which supplied the rice in the first instance.

“The state government neither intended to dramatize nor politicise the development. It was just out to state the facts as they are: we cannot serve our people expired rice and replace hunger with another disease.

“The Executive Adviser to the governor on Agribusiness, Dr. Debo Akande, who addressed the media clearly stated that if the Customs could muster other bags of rice in good condition, the state would readily receive such.

“But the immediate reaction from Customs, Oyo/Osun Command was a bit comforting as it passed a message to the state government that the bad bags of rice must have been picked from the wrong store. We also got confirmation that Customs was ready to immediately send in 600 bags to replace the bad ones and that representatives of the state were free to immediately come for inspection.”

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

He notd that at least 30 percent of the 600 bags promised as replacement were also infested with weevils.

However, the Nigeria Customs Service on Sunday denied sending weevils infested bags of rice to the Oyo state government.File photo

The Public Relations officer of the Oyo/Osun command of the customs, Abdullahi-Lagos Abiola, who stated this in a statement, said Ekiti and Osun states also benefited from the palliatives and never complain of such.

Customs said the officials of the state government selected the rice themselves and were on ground to monitor loading of the rice supplied to the state.

According to the statement, a responsible agency of Government like customs saddled with responsibility of caring for wellbeing of Nigerians cannot turn round and be associated with giving anything that will negatively affect Nigerians.

“In line with the Federal Government’s effort to cushion the hardship in the nation, the CGC had directed the distribution of relief items including bags of rice across the nation through the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management as palliative to the vulnerable in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic.

adron lemon friday

“As instructed, on the 20th of April 2020, the Oyo/Osun Area Command received high ranking members of the Oyo State Government in the persons of the Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development, Mr Jacob Ojekunle; the Permanent Secretary Ministry of Agriculture, Mrs Saidat Bolatumi Oloko; Executive Adviser to the Governor on Agribusiness, Mr Debo Akande; The representative of Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management and Social Development in Oyo, Mrs MO Lasisi and other members.

“They visited the command twice on the same day to inspect the bags of rice that were available for allocation. The Customs Area Controller, Comptroller, HU Ngozi led them to the warehouses where they inspected the bags of rice, checked expiration dates and expressed satisfaction and readiness to evacuate their allocation.

“Before leaving the command on their second visit, they pleaded to be given those from a section of one of the warehouses they considered “fresher” and this was granted.

“Subsequently, on the 21st of April 2020, the Oyo State Government team came with their vehicles under the supervision of Mr Jacob Ojekunle, Mrs Saidat Oloko, Mrs MO Lasisi and other top officials, in the presence of the Customs Area Controller, other officers and members of the press to witness the loading and exiting of the 1800 bags of parboiled rice allocated to their State as palliative to the vulnerable.

“Incidentally, in the process of loading, few bags fell at different times and burst open in the presence of Mr Ojekunle and Mrs Lasisi and there was no time that any of the burst bags of rice had weevils in them.

“The warehouse had no signs of weevils, neither were there signs of weevils on the loaders or on the trucks under the scorching sun.

“The three (3) states; Oyo, Osun and Ekiti States took delivery of the bags of rice allocated to them, returned their landing certificates to show delivery to its final destinations. They also showed appreciation to the CGC for his magnanimity. Contrary to allegations by Oyo State Government, Osun and Ekiti States have not complained about their allocations.

“The Command is therefore surprised, even embarrassed to hear three (3) days later, that the rice allocated to them were infested with weevils and unfit for human consumption.

“The command wishes to reiterate that weevils do not hide and in the process of loading the vehicles, traces of weevils would have been noticed on the floor, on the bags, on the loaders or on the trucks bearing in mind that the entire process was in the presence of the CAC, Oyo State Government’s high ranking team and men of the press with full video camera coverage.”

freelanews
Freelanews

Freelanews is the editorial byline of Freelanews.com, used for staff reports, news updates, press releases, and collaborative stories produced by the Freelanews Editorial Team.

Also read

  • APC moves to fill 11 legislative seats across five states
  • Gumi says public money can support marriages under shariah

Related Posts

Femi Falana e1558291739951
General

‘Nationwide protest’ Falana-led group mobilises Nigerians for September 28

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
September 24, 2020
Anita Joseph shares risque clip of herself in a bathtub with a man Video 2100x1200 1
General

‘Public matter?’ Anita Joseph puts on display bathroom experience with her husband

by Freelanews
June 26, 2021
2023 08 23 at 15 39 24 Cause of death of Barack Obamas personal chef Tafari Campbell revealed
General

Cause of death of Barack Obama’s personal chef Tafari Campbell revealed

by Freelanews
August 23, 2023
Nigeria Army Soldiers
General

‘Just In’ Gunmen attack Nigerian military base, kill 11 soldiers in Kaduna

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
April 5, 2022
djcuppy
General

‘Congrats’ Dj Cuppy accepted into Oxford University for Masters Degree (Video)

by Freelanews
March 5, 2021

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

South Africa

South Africa still issuing visas to Nigerians, envoy says

August 19, 2026
Omo-Aje

Omo-Aje demands credible 2027 elections from INEC

August 19, 2026
US

US tightens green card test with stricter rules

August 19, 2026
Fayose hails Tinubu

Fayose hails Tinubu over Osun poll, recalls 2018 ordeal

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
South Africa

South Africa still issuing visas to Nigerians, envoy says

August 19, 2026
Omo-Aje

Omo-Aje demands credible 2027 elections from INEC

August 19, 2026
US

US tightens green card test with stricter rules

August 19, 2026
Fayose hails Tinubu

Fayose hails Tinubu over Osun poll, recalls 2018 ordeal

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Primate Ayodele warns Tinubu of 2027 defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Canada probe exposes alleged fake Nigerian doctor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

South Africa

South Africa still issuing visas to Nigerians, envoy says

August 19, 2026
Omo-Aje

Omo-Aje demands credible 2027 elections from INEC

August 19, 2026
US

US tightens green card test with stricter rules

August 19, 2026
Fayose hails Tinubu

Fayose hails Tinubu over Osun poll, recalls 2018 ordeal

August 19, 2026
APC

APC moves to fill 11 legislative seats across five states

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.