Mourinho Real Madrid return rumours dismissed as Benfica coach insists he can say no to Florentino Perez ahead of Champions League clash
Benfica head coach José Mourinho on Monday firmly dismissed speculation of a Mourinho Real Madrid return, insisting he is capable of rejecting any approach from Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez ahead of this week’s decisive Champions League play-off.
Also read: Jose Mourinho exits Fenerbahce after one season
José Mourinho, 63, who previously managed Real Madrid between 2010 and 2013, addressed reporters as his Benfica side prepare to host the Spanish giants in the first leg on Tuesday, before the return fixture at the Santiago Bernabéu next week.
Speculation over a potential Mourinho Real Madrid Return has intensified in recent weeks due to a break clause in the Portuguese coach’s contract, reportedly allowing either party to terminate the agreement.
The clause, Mourinho explained, was included because his deal was signed during a Benfica presidential election period in November 2025.
“Can you say no? Yes,” Mourinho said when asked whether he could refuse an offer from Florentino Pérez. “Yes you can.”
Mourinho acknowledged his enduring bond with Madrid and described his relationship with Pérez as a “great friendship”, but stressed that there was no ongoing discussion with the Spanish club.
“I gave everything to Real Madrid, everything that I had. I did good things, I did bad things, but I gave absolutely everything and that’s all,” Mourinho said. “When someone leaves a club with those type of feelings, I think a connection always exists.”
The former Chelsea and Inter manager was keen to temper the narrative, adding that the only current reality is his contract with Benfica, which runs for another year.
“There is a clause that is very easy for both me and Benfica to break the contract, but the only thing that exists is the contract with Benfica, and there is nothing with Real Madrid,” Mourinho said.
The renewed talk of a Mourinho Real Madrid Return comes as Benfica and Madrid meet again after the Portuguese side secured a commanding 4–2 victory over Madrid in January’s league phase encounter.
Mourinho, however, expects a markedly different contest this time, describing Madrid as favourites to lift Europe’s premier club trophy.
“The Real Madrid I expect tomorrow is the Real Madrid who are number one favourites to win the Champions League,” he said.
Madrid head coach Álvaro Arbeloa, a former Mourinho player, said his sole focus was progressing to the last 16.
“My objective is to eliminate Benfica, and after that, he can win everything else,” Arbeloa said, underlining the professional rivalry despite mutual respect.
Arbeloa declined to confirm whether French forward Kylian Mbappé would start, after the striker was limited by knee discomfort during the weekend victory over Real Sociedad.
Midfielder Eduardo Camavinga admitted Madrid were motivated by a desire for redemption following the defeat in Lisbon.
“We want to play a great game, because losing a game like that was tough for our fans,” Camavinga said. “We want to win tomorrow with the spirit of revenge.”
For Mourinho, the immediate priority remains European progression rather than future speculation.
Also read: Jose Mourinho criticises Victor Osimhen for diving too much
As tensions rise ahead of a high-stakes encounter, the Portuguese coach appeared determined to keep the focus on performance rather than possibility.






















