The singer says the confrontation near Ataoja’s palace had nothing to do with him or Governor Ademola Adeleke as officials confirm an attack on the governor’s convoy
Afrobeats star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has clarified that a confrontation and reported gunfire near the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, had no connection to him or his uncle, Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke.
Also read: Fayose challenges Davido over ₦40bn Osun spending claim
Davido offered the clarification in a post on his official X account after reports emerged that suspected hoodlums had confronted Governor Adeleke’s convoy shortly after the governor visited the monarch’s palace.
“It was a fight outside the palace that had nothing to do with us! The pple love excellency!” Davido wrote.
The Davido Osogbo palace incident quickly attracted attention online, particularly because the confrontation occurred around the same time as the governor’s visit and on a significant day for Adeleke.
According to reports from the scene, the confrontation escalated into an exchange of gunfire involving the suspected hoodlums and members of the governor’s security detail.
The shooting reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes, sending traders, residents and other people around the palace area into panic before the suspected attackers fled.
The Osun State Government subsequently confirmed that Adeleke’s convoy had come under attack.
Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, described the attackers as hoodlums and said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assault.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.
The confirmation helped distinguish the reported security incident from the speculation surrounding Davido and his uncle, with the singer making clear that the confrontation was not directed at either of them.
The episode came on a particularly important day for Governor Adeleke, who had earlier received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission following his victory in the August 15 governorship election.
Adeleke secured 511,067 votes to defeat the All Progressives Congress candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, who polled 444,815 votes.
The certificate formally affirmed Adeleke’s re-election and added political significance to his appearance in Osogbo that day.
The governor’s visit to the Ataoja’s palace was therefore part of a busy schedule following his electoral victory, while the reported confrontation occurred around the palace premises.
No casualty was reported by the state government in connection with the attack, although the reported gunfire caused considerable alarm among people in the surrounding area.
Davido’s intervention also reflected the speed with which incidents involving prominent public figures can generate competing narratives on social media.
By separating himself and Governor Adeleke from the confrontation, the singer sought to correct reports and speculation linking the incident to the pair.
The circumstances surrounding the confrontation, including what triggered the altercation and the identities and motives of those involved, remain subject to further investigation by security authorities.
For residents around the palace, however, the reported exchange of gunfire was an unsettling reminder of how quickly a public gathering can become a security concern.
Also read: Davido prefers to die than allow Wole Oke, others win elections in Osun
The incident ended without the casualties initially feared, but its proximity to the governor’s convoy and the palace of the traditional ruler has ensured that the Davido Osogbo palace incident remains a closely watched development in the state.
Quadri Olaitan is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, public affairs, and human-interest stories.

























