• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News General

Lagos deputy governor says accidents reduce since Okada ban

Freelanews by Freelanews
February 15, 2020
in General
0 0
0
images 2019 05 31T193117.693 691x405 1
thenacre-campaign

The Lagos State Government has reaffirmed its decision to ban commercial motorcycles (okada) and tricycles (keke) on major roads in Lagos metropolis.

In a statement issued by his office on Friday, the state’s Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat, said that the government was determined to reduce accidents and vices associated with the use of motorcycles and tricycles.

Hamzat said that the ban would promote security of lives of Lagos residents.

He said the government took the decision after evaluating the rate of crime and accidents recorded in the state.

“It is not to punish anybody or restrict people from doing certain jobs; the reality is that people are dying, security of our children is being compromised, and the government must act.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

“What this administration is doing is just to enforce the law that the House of Assembly passed which must have been vigorously scrutinised.

“The ban is in accordance with the Lagos State Transport Reform Law of 2012. The law that has been in existence since 2012,” he said.

Mr Hazmat noted that the law was revised in 2018.

“The law says that commercial motorcycles and tricycles are restrained from plying major highways, certain roads and all bridges,” he said.

“The law was revisited due to the scary figures of fatal accidents in the state as against the claims that the ban was targeted at anyone or group.

“We have 27 general hospitals in Lagos and close to 3,000 private hospitals.

”Using the statistics from the general hospitals alone, an average of 28 deaths related to okada are recorded monthly. It is therefore important for us as a government to act.”

He said that since the ban, the rate of accidents on Lagos roads had significantly reduced.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

The deputy governor said motorcycles and tricycles were being used by some unpatriotic citizens as tools for crime such as theft and drug trafficking.

He said that the modes of transportation were becoming avenues to commit crimes and the government would not wait until major disasters would happen before acting.

“We get calls through our emergency control centres as early as 6:00a.m. from people going to work who are being robbed and harassed through motorcycles,” he said.

The deputy governor said the state government had made provision for 17 skills acquisition centres and five technical schools across the state to cushion the effect of the ban.

adron lemon friday

He added that efforts had been put in place by the government to equip the people through partnering with organisations such as Elizade Motors, to teach them how to do mechanical works.

“The Lagos State Government has provided 65 Bus Rapid Transit buses and 14 ferries on our waterways as alternatives,” he said.

Refuting claims that the government endorsed private investors to operate motorcycling business, the deputy governor said, “Whenever there is a change, it is natural for us to criticise change, but change is good.

“It is important for us to save lives.

“In the last three weeks, data from general hospitals shows that there were just seven accidents instead of 28 hitherto; who can say the 21 lives saved are not important.”

The deputy governor disclosed that the state government would bring in 2,000 new taxis.

“It is not just bringing vehicles, we want to assemble them to create jobs for people here.

On unemployment, Mr Hamzat advised youth to seek empowerment scheme such as AGRIC-YES organised by the state Ministry of Agriculture.

“There is the Empowerment Trust Fund too; anyone who has an idea and think it can work, can present them.

“About 5,000 young people have been given grants or loans. We want them to seek this and not what can lead to their death.

“One of our plans is to create enabling environment for the private sector to create jobs.

“Government itself cannot create enough jobs. It is therefore, important for us take this type of decision to make it easier for business people to run their businesses and create more jobs,” he added.

freelanews
Freelanews

Freelanews is the editorial byline of Freelanews.com, used for staff reports, news updates, press releases, and collaborative stories produced by the Freelanews Editorial Team.

Also read

  • Gumi says public money can support marriages under shariah
  • Sokoto Police rescue 10-year-old boy, arrest suspect

Related Posts

Buhari and Buratai 2
General

‘We remain loyal to Buhari’ Nigerian army warns troublemakers over #EndSARS protests

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
October 15, 2020
20689F7B 4AEE 4B41 8ACB A170457D7827
General

‘It’s a pity’ FCT residents condemn palliatives distribution pattern

by Freelanews
April 17, 2020
Foreign
General

Foreign investors shun Kano, Rivers, Ogun, 24 other states

by Quadri Olaitan
April 5, 2023
'A lot of discrimination' China decries racism against its citizen in Australia
General

‘A lot of discrimination’ China decries racism against its citizen in Australia

by Freelanews
June 8, 2020
Kwara violence
General

Gunmen kill 11 in Kaduna village

by Freelanews
August 20, 2020

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

FCCPC

FCCPC probes Nigeria’s rising cement prices

August 19, 2026
Dangote

Dangote Refinery secures $1bn IPO backing

August 19, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

August 19, 2026
Oluremi

Oluremi Tinubu launches food bank programme in Ogun

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
FCCPC

FCCPC probes Nigeria’s rising cement prices

August 19, 2026
Dangote

Dangote Refinery secures $1bn IPO backing

August 19, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

August 19, 2026
Oluremi

Oluremi Tinubu launches food bank programme in Ogun

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Ogogo

    BREAKING: Nollywood actor Ogogo seriously ill with stage 4 cancer (VIDEO)

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Kemta Ogboni house sealed amid Yayi dispute

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Primate Ayodele warns Tinubu of 2027 defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

FCCPC

FCCPC probes Nigeria’s rising cement prices

August 19, 2026
Dangote

Dangote Refinery secures $1bn IPO backing

August 19, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

August 19, 2026
Oluremi

Oluremi Tinubu launches food bank programme in Ogun

August 19, 2026
Chris Oyakhilome

Chris Oyakhilome unveils Tsion electric vehicles

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.