• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News General

Coronavirus: FG cautions Nigerians against panic as another patient tests positive

Freelanews by Freelanews
March 10, 2020
in General
0 0
0
Blood sample with respiratory coronavirus positive

Blood sample with respiratory coronavirus positive

thenacre-campaign

The Federal Government on Monday advised Nigerians not to panic as the country now has a second Coronavirus (Covid-19) case.

It said the latest carrier of the virus is one of the 62 directs contacts of the Italian index case in Lagos and Ogun states, who are currently on isolation.

The good news, according to the Federal Government, is that a team of Nigerian researchers has successfully performed the genome sequencing of the Coronavirus strain that the index case brought into Nigeria.

The breakthrough said Health Minister Osagie Ehanire, has already received the commendation of the World Health Organisation (WHO).

Dr. Ehanire announced the new CoviD-19 case at a news conference at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH), Benin, Edo State.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

He, however, did not give the identity of the latest carrier who is presently at the Centre for Disease Control in Yaba, Lagos. That of the Italian index case has been a subject of controversy since his case was confirmed on February 27.

Ehanire explained that the second victim, a male, had contact at work in Ewekoro, Ogun State with the Italian, who is being managed at the Yaba disease control centre.

The Health minister, in company with the Chief Medical Director (CMD) of UBTH, Prof. Darlington Obaseki; and board Chairman, Bashorun Adedoja Adewolu, also clarified that the second case was not the driver who drove the index case from Lagos to Ewekoro.

Maintaining that many persons who had contact with the Italian were still being traced by experts, he urged Nigerians and foreigners in the country not to panic since health professionals and other stakeholders were working round the clock to address developments.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

At the news conference, the first to be held outside Abuja, since the outbreak of the deadly virus, Ehanire stated that the genome breakthrough by a team of Nigerian researchers, led by top scientists of the Nigeria Institute of Medical Research (NIMR), Lagos, was the first time the sequencing of the virus had been performed in Africa.

He revealed that the result of the scientific research had been shared with international authorities, especially WHO whose Director-General had extended congratulations to the Nigerian scientists for the achievement.

Ehanire said: “A total of 217 contacts were linked to the index case. Of the 217, 45 travelled out of Nigeria and 172 contacts are presently in Nigeria. Of the 172 contacts currently in Nigeria, 69 are in Lagos, 40 in Ogun and 52 in other states, with 11 in unknown locations.

“Contact tracing and monitoring in respect of the Coronavirus index case, presently receiving treatment in Lagos, has been diligently and conscientiously pursued since the 27th of February, when the case was first diagnosed.

“As you know, 40 persons in Ogun and 22 in Lagos are under isolation and have remained free of any symptoms since.

“Nevertheless, the Federal Ministry of Health, following best practice, decided to test these persons for possible presence of coronavirus in their systems. On 8th March, 2020, scientists confirmed the presence of coronavirus in one of the contacts.”

“Nevertheless, the Federal Ministry of Health, following best practice, decided to test these persons for possible presence of Coronavirus in their systems. On the 8th of March, scientists confirmed the presence of Coronavirus in one of the contacts.

“It is my duty therefore to announce a new case of Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Nigeria. The newly-confirmed case is an Ogun State contact of the index case, but he has no significant clinical symptoms. This brings the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Nigeria today (yesterday) to two.

“Since the beginning of the outbreak in China and subsequent spread to other countries, one of the important response strategies at the containment stage has been to identify all contacts, ensure their strict isolation and to follow up daily with checks for any symptoms of the disease.

“Following recent experiences from other countries and evidence from newly-published studies on non-symptomatic infections, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), advised that samples should be taken from all contacts of the index case for testing. It is in this process that these two cases were detected.

“I repeat that the newly- confirmed case in Nigeria is not a new importation, but a contact of the index case, who has since been in isolation and was under clinical follow up. He presently does not have any clinical symptoms, is comfortable and in care of Infectious Disease Hospital in Lagos.”

The health minister also stated that recent studies in China showed that increased surveillance, self isolation and in particular contact tracing, have been reducing risk of spread of the virus.

He declared that all other contacts of the index case in Ogun and Lagos states would remain in isolation and tests carried out on those not yet tested, including some in other states.

Ehanire said: “The Federal Ministry of Health as well as Lagos and Ogun state ministries of health assure citizens of our commitment to do all that are needed to control the spread of the outbreak. Since the first case was confirmed in Nigeria on the 27th of February, 2020, the National Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) in Abuja continues to work closely with Lagos and Ogun states’ EOCs to coordinate response activities.

adron lemon friday

“I, again strongly, advise against spreading misinformation to cause fear and panic. The Federal Ministry of Health and NCDC will continue to provide prompt and reliable updates and initiate all measures required to protect our people.

“A globally emerging lesson is that some people who contracted COVID-19 appear to experience zero symptoms or only mild illness and will recover. However, other patients develop more severe symptoms, especially if they have other underlying illnesses or are weakened by old age.”

freelanews
Freelanews

Freelanews is the editorial byline of Freelanews.com, used for staff reports, news updates, press releases, and collaborative stories produced by the Freelanews Editorial Team.

Also read

  • Gumi says public money can support marriages under shariah
  • Sokoto Police rescue 10-year-old boy, arrest suspect

Related Posts

RIvers State House Of Assembly Protest 1200x939 1
General

Religious, ethnic crisis averted in Abia over alleged missing penis

by Freelanews
January 25, 2020
South West Development Commission Bill
General

OGD-sponsored South West Development Commission bill passed in senate

by Quadri Olaitan
September 26, 2024
prof
General

‘Make collaboration’ Professor tells companies and higher institutions

by Freelanews
August 5, 2021
Marginal
General

Marginal oilfields sale generated N203bn, says Buhari

by Quadri Olaitan
April 18, 2023
social media
General

Breaking News: Veteran actress, Iyabo Oko, dies at 61

by Freelanews
June 29, 2023

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

NDLEA

NDLEA arrests 80, clears 16 drug joints in Kano

August 18, 2026
Davido

Davido rules out politics over Nigeria’s flawed system

August 18, 2026
BBNaija

BBNaija S11: Neche reveals why she left the show

August 18, 2026
IGP Disu

IGP Disu sounds tough warning over Nigeria’s mob killings

August 18, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
NDLEA

NDLEA arrests 80, clears 16 drug joints in Kano

August 18, 2026
Davido

Davido rules out politics over Nigeria’s flawed system

August 18, 2026
BBNaija

BBNaija S11: Neche reveals why she left the show

August 18, 2026
IGP Disu

IGP Disu sounds tough warning over Nigeria’s mob killings

August 18, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Ogogo

    BREAKING: Nollywood actor Ogogo seriously ill with stage 4 cancer (VIDEO)

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Kemta Ogboni house sealed amid Yayi dispute

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Primate Ayodele warns Tinubu of 2027 defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Canada probe exposes alleged fake Nigerian doctor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

NDLEA

NDLEA arrests 80, clears 16 drug joints in Kano

August 18, 2026
Davido

Davido rules out politics over Nigeria’s flawed system

August 18, 2026
BBNaija

BBNaija S11: Neche reveals why she left the show

August 18, 2026
IGP Disu

IGP Disu sounds tough warning over Nigeria’s mob killings

August 18, 2026
Free digital skills

FG launches free digital skills programme for 36,000

August 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.