• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News General

‘He worked at TheNEWS’ Court hears journalist police brutality 11years after

Rtn. Victor Ojelabi by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
September 23, 2020
in General
0 0
0
index 3
thenacre-campaign
Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1
adron lemon friday

The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on Tuesday adjourned a hearing of a case of assault and enforcement of fundamental human rights filed against Guaranty Trust Bank, the Nigeria Police Force and six others by a journalist, Desmond Utomwen, to November 5, 2020.

When the matter came up for hearing on Tuesday, the court noted that the appellants’ brief of arguments were not served on the police, the Inspector-General of Police and other police officers joined in the suit, PR Nigeria said.

The court, therefore, directed that the respondents be served before the next adjourned date.

The appellants also filed a motion for leave of court to file their reply brief out of time.

The three-man panel of the appellate court led by Justice Stephen Adah, therefore, adjourned to November 5, 2020 for the hearing of appellant’s applications and the substantive appeal.

Utomwen filed the suit following his brutalisation in December 2009 by men of the Nigeria Police Force and members of staff of Guaranty Trust Bank.

The journalist, who was a former staff of TheNEWS magazine, was arrested and locked up at the Garki Police Station while covering a protest by some customers of the Garki, Area 3 branch of GTB over alleged unauthorised withdrawal of funds from their accounts.

In October 2012, a high court in Abuja presided over by Justice Peter Kekemeke awarded damages of N100m against GTB and other defendants but the defendants appealed the judgment.

However, the case only came up seven years after at the Court of Appeal.

In the background of events that led to the suit, the Committee for Protection of Journalists noted that lUtomwen was brutalised by several policemen in collaboration with some members of staff of GTB on December 11, 2009, for covering a peaceful protest outside the bank’s premises in Area 3, Abuja.

CPJ noted that the bank’s customers were protesting alleged fraudulent withdrawals said to have been made by the bank’s officials from their accounts through the ATM, quoting local journalists and news reports.

Utomwen in the suit asked the court to declare that his fundamental human rights had been violated when he was obstructed from working; had his equipment forcefully taken; and was attacked and hit with gun butts until he was unconscious, before being bundled into a police vehicle and detained for several hours without access to medical treatment.

For two years and 10 months, Utomwen relentlessly sought justice.

The case passed through two judges before reaching Justice Peter Kekemeke, who declared that the actions violated the journalist’s right to freedom from inhuman and degrading treatment, right to own moveable and immoveable property, and right to freedom of the press and expression as protected in sections 34, 39, and 44 of the 1999 constitution.

Ugochukwu Ezekiel, who took up Utomwen’s case on a pro-bono basis, sought a garnishment order against the police and bank and filed to enforce the court’s judgment.

Ezekiel, who carried the same air of confidence as he did during the 2012 judgment, gave the assurance that he would continue to take cases of journalists assaulted in the line of duty free of charge.

Such brutal treatment by law enforcement agents against the media has begun to draw fresh momentum in Nigeria and around the world.

Organisations such as CPJ, Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and others continue to put the situation on the front burner.

Utomwen reiterated that his fight for justice was not for the money but the profession of journalism; protection of journalists whose rights to duty have continually been infringed upon and the freedom of the press.

otunba victor profile picture scaled
Rtn. Victor Ojelabi

Ojelabi, the publisher of Freelanews, is an award winning and professionally trained mass communicator and a recipient of the D9112 Superstar Icon Award, who writes ruthlessly about pop culture, religion, politics and entertainment.

Also read

  • GTBank wins Nigeria’s Best Digital Bank 2026
  • Grieving mother accuses EFCC of killing son while he was on bail

Related Posts

IMG 3357 scaled
General

NECA urges employers to embrace responsible business conduct

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
October 24, 2024
Asake leaves YBNL
General

Rumours swirl as Asake reportedly parts ways with YBNL

by Quadri Olaitan
December 28, 2024
Tin Can Island Port Nigeria 750x375 1
General

Port workers threaten shutdown over FG planned 50% revenue slash

by Quadri Olaitan
February 13, 2024
Gasum scaled
General

‘No cause for alarm’ Russia to cut gas to Finland on Saturday

by Freelanews
May 20, 2022
Health Ministry Salt Warning
General

FG counters Oyakhilome’s salt claims, urges Nigerians to follow medical advice

by Quadri Olaitan
May 8, 2025

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

FCCPC

FCCPC probes Nigeria’s rising cement prices

August 19, 2026
Dangote

Dangote Refinery secures $1bn IPO backing

August 19, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

August 19, 2026
Oluremi

Oluremi Tinubu launches food bank programme in Ogun

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
FCCPC

FCCPC probes Nigeria’s rising cement prices

August 19, 2026
Dangote

Dangote Refinery secures $1bn IPO backing

August 19, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

August 19, 2026
Oluremi

Oluremi Tinubu launches food bank programme in Ogun

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Ogogo

    BREAKING: Nollywood actor Ogogo seriously ill with stage 4 cancer (VIDEO)

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Kemta Ogboni house sealed amid Yayi dispute

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Primate Ayodele warns Tinubu of 2027 defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

FCCPC

FCCPC probes Nigeria’s rising cement prices

August 19, 2026
Dangote

Dangote Refinery secures $1bn IPO backing

August 19, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

August 19, 2026
Oluremi

Oluremi Tinubu launches food bank programme in Ogun

August 19, 2026
Chris Oyakhilome

Chris Oyakhilome unveils Tsion electric vehicles

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.