• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News General

‘Nothing but hearsay’ Court dismisses EFCC’s evidence against ex-SGF, Babachir Lawal, over alleged N544m fraud

Rtn. Victor Ojelabi by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
January 29, 2022
in General
0 0
0
Babachir Lawal 11 scaled
thenacre-campaign
Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1
adron lemon friday

A High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on Friday rejected computer-generated exhibits sought to be tendered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) against Dr Babachir Lawal, former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) over alleged N544 million fraud.

Mr Lawal is being prosecuted alongside his younger brother, Hamidu Lawal and others on a 10-count charge, bordering on diversion of funds and criminal conspiracy to the tune of N544million (five hundred and forty-four million naira).

The EFCC had sought to tender the evidence through its 8th prosecution witness (PW8) Dare Folarin, an operative of the commission but were strongly opposed by the defence counsel.

Mr Ofem Uket, EFCC’s counsel applied before the court to tender the computer-generated exhibits as evidence.

Akin Olujimi (SAN) opposed the application on the grounds that the exhibits sought to be tendered are the same ones that had earlier been rejected by the court. He prayed the court to reject the exhibits that the anti-graft agency seeks to tender.

Counsel to the third defendant, Mr Napoleon Idelana, told the court that the EFCC had already filed an appeal at the court of appeal Abuja seeking the appellate against the decision of the trial court rejecting its exhibits.

Mr Uket prayed the court to discountenance the defendants’ objection.

The presiding judge, Justice Charles Agbaza held that the exhibits had been marked rejected by the court when EFCC tendered them last year and any oral evidence of the EFCC’s witness on the rejected exhibits would amount to hearsay.

“I have carefully examined the foundation of arguments for and against the admissibility of the exhibits in dispute and found only two issues for determination.

“The first issue is on whether the evidence of the prosecution witness falls on hearsay in respect of the exhibits while the second issue is on whether this court has once rejected the exhibits sought to be tendered.

“On issue one, the witness on his own informed the court of how he was invited into the EFCC laboratory and was shown information extracted from an iPhone 7.

“On this, I am satisfied that the witness is not the maker of the exhibits in dispute. They were only shown to him according to his oral evidence here.

“Therefore, anything said or to be said by the witness is nothing but hearsay and for this reason, I resolve this issue in favour of the defendants.

“On the second issue, there is no dispute that the exhibits were earlier sought to be tendered but they were turned down and marked rejected and even, the rejection is a subject of appeal at the Court of Appeal.

“For this reason, I agree that the exhibits cannot be admitted having been earlier rejected and marked rejected” the judge ruled.

The court could not proceed with the matter because PW8 who was supposed to continue with his evidence-in-chief was not present in court as he was indisposed.

The matter was adjourned until February 16 and 17 for the continuation of the trial.

The defendants were first arraigned on February 12, 2019, before Justice Jude Okeke. They pleaded not guilty to the charges proffered against them by the EFCC.

They were re-arraigned before Justice Agbaza on November 30, 2020, after the demise of Justice Okeke who had been hearing the matter.
On January 24, 2021 exhibits sought to be tendered by EFCC were rejected by the same court. Yesterday’s trial makes it the second time the court is rejecting EFCC’s exhibits.

Mr Lawal was appointed the Secretary to the Government of the Federation by President Muhammadu Buhari on August 27, 2015.
On April 19, 2017, he was suspended by Mr Buhari and was relieved of his duties in October same year.

Other defendants included are Suleiman Abubakar, Apeh Monday, and two companies, Rholavision Engineering (fifth defendant) and Josmon Technologies (sixth defendant).

otunba victor profile picture scaled
Rtn. Victor Ojelabi

Ojelabi, the publisher of Freelanews, is an award winning and professionally trained mass communicator and a recipient of the D9112 Superstar Icon Award, who writes ruthlessly about pop culture, religion, politics and entertainment.

Also read

  • Gumi says public money can support marriages under shariah
  • Sokoto Police rescue 10-year-old boy, arrest suspect

Related Posts

ogd jpg
General

OGD flags off free eye care programme in Ogun East

by Quadri Olaitan
October 16, 2023
Untitled 1 7
General

‘Memorable’ Twins born minutes apart have separate birth year

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
January 7, 2022
WhatsApp Image 2024 05 03 at 08.29.493
General

Young Orators winner receives warm welcome at Lagos state house of assembly (Video)

by Oreoluwa Ojelabi
May 3, 2024
Freelanews-
General

‘Kind-hearted’ Meghan Markle says she doesn’t want Prince Harry to lose his father

by Freelanews
August 30, 2022
Governor David Umahi 5 e1521153860656
General

‘EndSARS protest’ Umahi calls for new CONFAB to discuss agitation, other issues

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
October 24, 2020

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

ADC

ADC criticises Tinubu over rising food inflation

August 18, 2026
APC

JUST IN: 700 APC members defect to ADC in Sokoto

August 18, 2026
Rodri

Rodri joins Barcelona in €76.5m City move

August 18, 2026
Tinubu

NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

August 18, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
ADC

ADC criticises Tinubu over rising food inflation

August 18, 2026
APC

JUST IN: 700 APC members defect to ADC in Sokoto

August 18, 2026
Rodri

Rodri joins Barcelona in €76.5m City move

August 18, 2026
Tinubu

NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

August 18, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Ogogo

    BREAKING: Nollywood actor Ogogo seriously ill with stage 4 cancer (VIDEO)

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Kemta Ogboni house sealed amid Yayi dispute

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Primate Ayodele warns Tinubu of 2027 defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Canada probe exposes alleged fake Nigerian doctor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

ADC

ADC criticises Tinubu over rising food inflation

August 18, 2026
APC

JUST IN: 700 APC members defect to ADC in Sokoto

August 18, 2026
Rodri

Rodri joins Barcelona in €76.5m City move

August 18, 2026
Tinubu

NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

August 18, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA arrests 80, clears 16 drug joints in Kano

August 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.