Vinicius Jr racist abuse allegation overshadows Real Madrid’s 1-0 win over Benfica as Jose Mourinho is sent off in Lisbon
Real Madrid winger Vinicius Junior alleged racist abuse during a tense Champions League play-off first leg against Benfica at the Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on Tuesday, 18 February 2026, as the Spanish side secured a 1-0 victory overshadowed by controversy and the dismissal of head coach Jose Mourinho.
Also read: 2026 world cup: Vinicius names top four teams
Vinicius Junior had earlier produced a moment of rare brilliance to separate the sides. Collecting possession on the left flank, the Brazilian drove infield before unleashing a sublime curling effort into the top corner beyond the reach of the goalkeeper.
The strike handed Real Madrid a slender but vital advantage in the European tie.
What should have been the defining image of the evening quickly gave way to deeply troubling scenes.
Television footage showed Vinicius Junior approaching French referee Francois Letexier to report alleged racist remarks.
The official implemented UEFA’s established anti-racism protocols, bringing proceedings to a halt for approximately ten minutes as discussions took place on the pitch.
Vinicius Junior initially refused to continue, clearly incensed by what he claimed had been said. After lengthy exchanges involving players and coaching staff, the 25-year-old resumed play, though the incident cast a long shadow over the contest.
The flashpoint appeared to follow the winger’s goal celebration in front of the home supporters, during which objects were thrown from the stands.
Vinicius Junior was cautioned for provoking the crowd, prompting a confrontation with several Benfica players.
It was during that altercation that the Brazilian allegedly accused Benfica forward Gianluca Prestianni of making a racist comment.
The match descended further into chaos in the 85th minute when Mourinho was sent to the stands after a furious outburst directed at Letexier.
The Benfica manager was angered by the referee’s refusal to issue a second yellow card to Vinicius Junior following a foul on Richard Rios, a decision that would have reduced Real Madrid to ten men.
Despite his dismissal, Mourinho later took a seat in the front row behind the Benfica bench, drawing bemused glances from nearby spectators as he continued to issue instructions.
The evening’s intensity was reflected across both benches. Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe, who had squandered two clear first-half opportunities, appeared visibly furious as tempers frayed late on.
A member of the coaching staff was also dismissed after a heated exchange on the touchline.
Former referee Mark Clattenburg, analysing the incident on Amazon Prime, said officials are limited in such situations.
He noted that once a complaint is made, the referee can only document the allegation before UEFA conducts any subsequent investigation.
The Vinicius Jr racist abuse allegation is now likely to trigger formal scrutiny from European football’s governing body. UEFA has yet to comment publicly on the matter.
Also read: Vinicius Junior faces uncertain future at Real Madrid
While Real Madrid return to Spain with a narrow advantage, the fixture will be remembered less for a spectacular goal and more for an ugly chapter that once again raises urgent questions about racism in European football.





















