• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News JUST IN

Just In: Gunman killed after opening fire near White House

Victory Emmanuel by Victory Emmanuel
May 24, 2026
in JUST IN
0 0
0
Gunman
thenacre-campaign

A gunman was shot dead by U.S. Secret Service officers after opening fire near a White House security checkpoint in Washington, D.C

A gunman who opened fire near a security checkpoint close to the White House on Saturday evening has died after being shot by officers of the United States Secret Service.

Also read: White House confirms attack on US Convoy in Anambra, says no citizen involved (Video)

The incident happened near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW in Washington, D.C., prompting a heavy security lockdown around the White House complex.

According to the Secret Service, the suspect approached the checkpoint shortly after 6 p.m., pulled a firearm from a bag and began shooting at officers stationed in the area.

Security personnel immediately returned fire, critically wounding the suspect, who was later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

Authorities said a bystander was also struck during the exchange of gunfire, although officials had not immediately confirmed whether the individual was hit by bullets fired by the suspect or during the officers’ response.

No Secret Service officer was injured in the attack.

The agency confirmed that Donald Trump was inside the White House when the shooting occurred but was not harmed.

The gunfire triggered a rapid security response as officers from the Secret Service, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and local police flooded the area.

Roads surrounding the White House were temporarily shut down while investigators secured the scene and launched a probe into the incident.

Journalists stationed at the White House said they heard multiple gunshots and were instructed to take shelter inside the press briefing room.

ABC News correspondent Selina Wang said reporters on the North Lawn were ordered to run for safety moments after the shooting began.

FBI Director Kash Patel later confirmed that the bureau was assisting the Secret Service with the investigation.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

The suspect was identified by officials as 21-year-old Nasire Best, according to the Associated Press.

adron lemon friday

Court records cited by AP reportedly showed that Best had previously been arrested in 2025 after allegedly attempting to enter a White House checkpoint without authorisation.

Saturday’s shooting is the latest security scare involving gunfire near the U.S. president in recent weeks.

Also read: ‘It is who I am’ US first lady, Jill Biden returns to full-time work away from White House, first since 2009

It followed an earlier shooting incident in April near the hotel hosting the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner, where Trump and other senior officials were briefly moved to safety.

Victory Emmanuel
Victory Emmanuel

Victory Emmanuel is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, business, and public affairs.

Related Posts

Owo church attack
JUST IN

DSS arrests sixth suspect in Owo church attack

by David Okere
February 25, 2026
Nnamdi Kanu prisoner of conscience
JUST IN

IPOB calls for Nnamdi Kanu’s release as prisoner of conscience

by Oreoluwa Ojelabi
June 8, 2025
maximum support Benue killings resignation
JUST IN

UAD calls for Tinubu, Alia to resign over Benue massacre

by Oreoluwa Ojelabi
June 16, 2025
Dangote truck accident Ogun
JUST IN

Dangote truck accident kills five in Ogun State

by Quadri Olaitan
October 4, 2025
20250825 202454 e1756149930387
Community

Nigeria issues flood alert for 14 states, 43 locations at risk

by David Okere
September 4, 2025

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

ECOWAS

ECOWAS Startups Award draws 6,000 applications

August 17, 2026
LASU

LASU best graduate wins N10m excellence prize

August 17, 2026
Osun

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen

August 17, 2026
Access Bank

Access Bank gets court order over N1.34bn fraud

August 17, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
ECOWAS

ECOWAS Startups Award draws 6,000 applications

August 17, 2026
LASU

LASU best graduate wins N10m excellence prize

August 17, 2026
Osun

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen

August 17, 2026
Access Bank

Access Bank gets court order over N1.34bn fraud

August 17, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Lagos

    Lagos impounds 175 vehicles over dealer plate abuse

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • GLOWFUX announces plans for Landmark 10th Anniversary Charity Concert

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Adeleke’s win issues stark warning APC is beatable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Adeleke gets emotional after Davido’s Osun victory call

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

ECOWAS

ECOWAS Startups Award draws 6,000 applications

August 17, 2026
LASU

LASU best graduate wins N10m excellence prize

August 17, 2026
Osun

Osun 2026: When the people speak, politics must listen

August 17, 2026
Access Bank

Access Bank gets court order over N1.34bn fraud

August 17, 2026
DGN Ehi Braimah with Dr Kehinde Abiodun recently at a Rotary event recently

All you need to know about Dr Kehinde Abiodun

August 17, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.