• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

BREAKING: Gunmen storm Osogbo palace area during Adeleke’s visit

Victory Emmanuel by Victory Emmanuel
August 20, 2026
in Breaking News
0 0
0
thenacre-campaign

Suspected hoodlums exchanged fire with security personnel near the Ataoja’s palace as the governor visited the monarch after receiving his Certificate of Return

Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke’s visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, in Osogbo on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, was disrupted by gunfire after suspected hoodlums exchanged shots with security personnel near the palace shortly after the governor received his Certificate of Return.

Also read:

Adeleke had arrived at the monarch’s palace at about 3:15pm in a motorcade of roughly 20 vehicles, following his visit to the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission, where he received the certificate confirming his victory in Saturday’s governorship election.

During the palace visit, Adeleke reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to Oba Oyetunji, who received the governor and his entourage.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

The situation became tense as the visit was winding down, with reports that gunmen travelling in an unregistered Sienna space bus opened fire in the vicinity.

Security personnel attached to the governor responded, resulting in an exchange of gunfire that reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes.

The exact circumstances surrounding the shooting remained unclear as of Wednesday evening.

Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the incident but said the initial assessment suggested it may have involved rival cult groups rather than a targeted attack on the governor.

In a separate account, Alimi said the governor’s security personnel repelled the attackers and that no casualty was recorded.

This differs from some early reports describing the incident as an attack on Adeleke’s convoy.

Other accounts from sources close to the governor said the shooting was a cult-related clash that occurred near the palace while Adeleke was still within the premises, rather than an attack directed at him.

The conflicting accounts have made the precise trigger and intended target of the shooting difficult to establish.

Eyewitness accounts said the gunfire caused considerable panic around the palace, with traders and residents reportedly abandoning their shops and seeking shelter as the shooting continued.

One eyewitness told reporters that the assailants arrived through the Ita Olokan area in an unregistered Sienna vehicle.

Another account alleged that the attackers fired towards the palace entrance before security personnel pushed them back. Those claims had not been independently verified.

There was no immediate confirmation of arrests by the Osun State Police Command, while the command’s spokesperson, Abiodun Ojelabi, was reportedly unavailable for comment.

The incident came on a politically significant day for Adeleke.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier on Wednesday, the governor used his Certificate of Return presentation to announce a ₦500 million Election Violence Victims Endowment Fund for people affected by violence surrounding the August 15 election.

He also announced that children and dependants of people killed during the electoral violence would receive scholarships through university level.

Adeleke said the interventions would be humanitarian rather than partisan, promising that verified victims would not be excluded because of their political affiliation.

adron lemon friday

The fresh gunfire in Osogbo therefore cast a sobering shadow over a day that had otherwise centred on Adeleke’s renewed mandate and his call for political reconciliation.

It also underscored continuing concerns over violence and the presence of armed groups in parts of Osun, even as the governor begins his renewed term.

For now, authorities face the task of establishing what triggered the shooting, identifying those responsible and determining whether the incident was a cult clash, an attack on the governor’s security detail or another form of criminal confrontation.

Also read:

What is clear is that the Osogbo gunfire disrupted a high-profile visit by the newly re-elected governor and caused fear among residents and businesses around one of the city’s prominent traditional institutions.

Victory Emmanuel
Victory Emmanuel

Victory Emmanuel is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, business, and public affairs.

Also read

  • Lagos, Ogun approve August 20 holiday for Isese Day
  • Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

Related Posts

social media
Breaking News

Gunmen disrupt APC primary in Agege, three shot as stampede sparks chaos

by Mariam Balogun
May 20, 2026
Adelabu
Breaking News

BREAKING NEWS: Gunmen kidnap Adelabu’s sister, twin children in Ibadan (Video)

by David Okere
June 3, 2026
Trump
Breaking News

BREAKING: Trump designates Nigeria ‘Country of Particular Concern’ citing Christian genocide claims

by Quadri Olaitan
October 31, 2025
Lagos
Breaking News

Lagos Assembly launches accountability audit of LGs, LCDAs

by Victory Emmanuel
February 5, 2026
ADC
Breaking News

ADC UK pays courtesy visit to Atiku

by Peculiar Adirika
January 16, 2026

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Naira

Naira gains as Nigeria’s FX demand falls 35%

August 20, 2026
Ebola

JUST IN: DRC Ebola outbreak surpasses 5,000 cases

August 20, 2026

BREAKING: Gunmen storm Osogbo palace area during Adeleke’s visit

August 20, 2026
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Naira

Naira gains as Nigeria’s FX demand falls 35%

August 20, 2026
Ebola

JUST IN: DRC Ebola outbreak surpasses 5,000 cases

August 20, 2026

BREAKING: Gunmen storm Osogbo palace area during Adeleke’s visit

August 20, 2026
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Canada probe exposes alleged fake Nigerian doctor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Naira

Naira gains as Nigeria’s FX demand falls 35%

August 20, 2026
Ebola

JUST IN: DRC Ebola outbreak surpasses 5,000 cases

August 20, 2026

BREAKING: Gunmen storm Osogbo palace area during Adeleke’s visit

August 20, 2026
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.