• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News General

Keyamo gets Buhari’s nod on 774,000 public works jobs

Freelanews by Freelanews
July 15, 2020
in General
0 0
0
Keyamo 1
thenacre-campaign

President Muhammadu Buhari has directed Minister of State for Labour and Employment Festus Keyamo to proceed with the recruitment of 774,000 youths.

They are to undertake public works across the 774 local government areas from where 1,000 each are to be hired.

Each participant is to be paid N20,000 monthly for the three-month duration of the programme designed to begin in October.

There is N520 billion in the 2020 budget to take care of the programme.

But the selection process has pitted the minister against the National Assembly.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

Senate President Ahmed Lawan called for a halt to the process after the stormy session at the joint Senate/House of Representatives Committee meeting with Keyamo on June 30.

Committee members walked Keyamo out of the session after the National Directorate of Employment (NDE) Director-General Nasir Ladan, said he did not know about other members of the 20-man selection committee except for the eight statutory members.

He told the members to direct the question at the minister, who said he had the approval of the President.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

On Tuesday, the Federal Government, in its official Twitter handle   announced that the State Selection Committees inaugurated last month by Keyamo are going ahead with their work.

The tweet reads: “The Special Public Works Programme (SWP) of the Federal Government has kicked off nationwide. The State Selection Committees have been inaugurated and have commenced work.”

Keyamo, in an SMS to The Nation said he had “the instructions” of my boss, Mr. President, to proceed (with the SWP) unhindered.”

He said:  I have fresh instructions to proceed with the programme as directed by him (Buhari) and to continue to supervise the programme in accordance with the law.

“The states selection committees are proceeding already with the programme.

adron lemon friday

“The NDE is part of the programme. The state coordinators of the NDE throughout the country are the secretaries of those committees.

“We will work hard to meet the timeline but if there is any need for a change we will inform Mr. President.”

Keyamo’s media aide Tunde Moshood confirmed that his boss received the Presidential nod and conveyed the directive to the Director-General of the NDE through a memo in which he asked him to proceed with the recruitment.

The National Assembly had asked Ladan to come up with a template and plan on how to implement   the programme, following Keyamo’s altercation with members of the Joint Committee  over  the project.

Moshood said: “There is a directive from the Presidency now that there shouldn’t be any alternative plan that the status quo must remain the same. The only directive is that he (Ladan) should cease from going ahead with alternative plans. There should not be any alternative plan.

“The minister is not fighting him (Ladan). He remains the DG but the status quo must remain. That is, there should not be any alternative plan anywhere. It is our plan; the plan that we have agreed to pursue.”

While inaugurating the states selection committees, Keyamo claimed that he had been inundated with calls by politicians and other influential individuals interested in taking control of the programme.

He also alleged blackmail by such people, insisting that no political leader, except President Buhari to whom he is answerable, could stop him.

Keyamo added: “In the past, it used to be that certain persons entrusted with this kind of programmes, would hand it over to the political leaders. There has been an attempt at blackmailing this programme too to make us yield it to political leaders and we have said no. Not while I’m here.

“I have the pedigree and background; I know where I’m coming from before I came into public office. I have a pedigree and what I stand for and as I said in a previous press conference and I’m saying it again, that except Mr. President who appointed me and gave me the opportunity to drive this programme stops me, no other political leader or person can stop me. I’m only answerable to Mr President.

“I am making it open and I am ready anytime for a public debate on this with them. Ordinary Nigerians must have access to this programme. Those who are thinking that I must come and see them behind the scene to determine who gets what and how they will get it, I am saying no, it is as simple as that.”

The minister consequently warned the state chairmen against yielding to blackmail.

freelanews
Freelanews

Freelanews is the editorial byline of Freelanews.com, used for staff reports, news updates, press releases, and collaborative stories produced by the Freelanews Editorial Team.

Also read

  • APC moves to fill 11 legislative seats across five states
  • Gumi says public money can support marriages under shariah

Related Posts

Abuja
General

‘We wouldn’t accept’ Abuja rejects extension of COVID-19 lockdown

by Freelanews
April 13, 2020
SEC building
General

‘Circular’ SEC issues warning to capital market operators against dealing with clients related to proscribed groups

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
January 20, 2022
screenshot 2022 07 28 at 20 55 46 lagos4lagos jandor.webp (webp image 800 × 388 pixels)
General

‘They’ll be sent to prison’ Jandor vows to end godfatherism, Lagos transport unions

by Quadri Olaitan
October 31, 2022
2023 09 07 at 18 35 35 2023 09 07 at 18 35 01 Kate Amaka Henshaw on X Image 598 %C3%97 825 pixels Scaled 86
General

Nigerian actress, Kate Henshaw, faces backlash over alleged poverty shaming (Video)

by Oreoluwa Ojelabi
September 7, 2023
Screenshot 2022 01 22 at 19 36 44 School retracts statement apologises over alleged abuse of female student
General

‘Descended on her’ Teacher brutally assaults JSS2 student over skimpy uniform

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
January 22, 2022

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Naira

Naira gains as Nigeria’s FX demand falls 35%

August 20, 2026
Ebola

JUST IN: DRC Ebola outbreak surpasses 5,000 cases

August 20, 2026

BREAKING: Gunmen storm Osogbo palace area during Adeleke’s visit

August 20, 2026
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Naira

Naira gains as Nigeria’s FX demand falls 35%

August 20, 2026
Ebola

JUST IN: DRC Ebola outbreak surpasses 5,000 cases

August 20, 2026

BREAKING: Gunmen storm Osogbo palace area during Adeleke’s visit

August 20, 2026
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Canada probe exposes alleged fake Nigerian doctor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Naira

Naira gains as Nigeria’s FX demand falls 35%

August 20, 2026
Ebola

JUST IN: DRC Ebola outbreak surpasses 5,000 cases

August 20, 2026

BREAKING: Gunmen storm Osogbo palace area during Adeleke’s visit

August 20, 2026
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.