Agege APC primary attack leaves three injured after gunmen storm Lagos election venue, causing panic and suspension of voting
Pandemonium erupted during the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Lagos State House of Assembly seat in Agege Constituency II on Tuesday after suspected gunmen invaded the venue and opened fire, forcing the immediate suspension of the exercise.
Also read: Cubana Chief Priest reacts to APC primary defeat, hints at future ambition
The incident occurred at Ibukun Olu Government Primary School, Adealu Junction, Dopemu Road, Dopemu, where delegates and party members had gathered for the crucial primary election expected to determine the APC candidate for the constituency.
The contest was between Hon. Azeez Oladapo Yusuf Ninolowo, alleged to have Mudashiru Obasa’s backing, and Azizat Oluokun.
Eyewitnesses told Freelanews that the violence broke out around 1:20 pm when armed men suddenly stormed the premises while accreditation and voting activities were ongoing.
According to multiple accounts from the scene, the attackers fired sporadically into the air and toward the crowd, triggering widespread panic as party members scampered for safety.
At least three persons reportedly sustained gunshot injuries, while several others suffered varying degrees of injuries during the chaotic stampede that followed.
“Dopemu Road became a war zone instantly. People were running in different directions. We heard rapid gunshots and everyone started screaming,” a party agent at the venue told Freelanews.
The atmosphere, which had earlier been tense due to heightened political competition surrounding the primary, quickly degenerated into confusion as chairs, ballot materials and personal belongings were abandoned while attendees fled the venue.
Sources at the scene said the primary election was immediately halted as party officials and security aides attempted to evacuate injured persons and restore calm.
The identities of the gunshot victims had not been officially confirmed as of press time, though sources disclosed that the injured were rushed to nearby hospitals for emergency medical attention. No deaths had been officially reported at the time this report was filed.
Security operatives were later deployed to the area following distress calls, but witnesses claimed the attackers had already escaped before reinforcement teams arrived.
The Lagos State Police Command had yet to release an official statement on the incident as of the time of publication.
The attack has intensified concerns over rising tensions surrounding the ongoing APC primaries in Lagos State, where internal rivalries and fierce competition for party tickets have reportedly heightened political friction in several constituencies.
Political observers say the disruption in Agege could further deepen anxieties within the ruling party over the management of internal contests ahead of the next electoral cycle.
Freelanews gathered that tension remained high around the Dopemu axis hours after the attack, with security personnel maintaining presence around the affected area to prevent further breakdown of law and order.
Also read: Cubana Chief Priest reacts after crushing APC primary defeat
Freelanews is monitoring developments and will provide updates as more information becomes available.






















