• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News General

Awujale selection process cancelled over errors

Ogun government orders fresh exercise in Ijebuland

Rtn. Victor Ojelabi by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
December 18, 2025
in General
0 0
0
Wasiu Ayinde Marshal

Wasiu Ayinde Marshal, one of the contenders for the stool

thenacre-campaign
Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1
adron lemon friday

Awujale selection process cancelled by Ogun State Government over procedural errors, with ruling house directed to restart the exercise

The Ogun State Government has cancelled the Awujale selection process for the installation of a new paramount ruler of Ijebuland, citing procedural errors that could expose the exercise to legal challenges.

The development was confirmed by the Vice Chairman of the Fusengbuwa Ruling House, Professor Fassy Yusuf, after a meeting involving representatives of the ruling house, the Awujale Interregnum Administration Committee and officials of the state government.

The Awujale stool became vacant following the death of Oba Sikiru Adetona in July at the age of 91, bringing to an end a historic 65 year reign as monarch of Ijebuland.

In a letter dated December 2, 2025, and signed by the Secretary to the Ijebu Ode Local Government Area, Oke Adebanjo, the Fusengbuwa Ruling House had been directed to submit names of eligible candidates within 14 days, in line with its turn to produce the next Awujale.

Acting on the directive, the ruling house commenced the selection exercise, which reportedly attracted about 60 princes, and fixed December 15 for the screening of aspirants before the process was halted.

Professor Yusuf said the Awujale selection process was cancelled after the state government identified lapses in how the exercise was initiated, warning that the errors could open the door to prolonged litigation if allowed to stand.

Professor Yusuf explained that the government withdrew the initial authorisation letter and directed strict adherence to the 2021 Obas and Chiefs Law of Ogun State as well as the 1957 chieftaincy declaration guiding succession to the Awujale stool.

According to Professor Yusuf, the intervention was not unusual and was agreed upon by all parties to safeguard the integrity of the revered traditional institution. He added that the ruling house would reconvene once a fresh directive is issued and begin the process anew.

A senior state government official who participated in the meeting, but spoke on condition of anonymity, said the decision was not an act of interference but a necessary corrective step to ensure compliance with extant laws.

The official described the move as a decisive effort to prevent future disputes and preserve public confidence in the succession process.

Also read: K1 De Ultimate defends bid for Awujale throne amid criticism

Stakeholders in Ijebuland continue to follow developments closely as preparations are expected to begin for a fresh, law compliant selection of the next Awujale.

otunba victor profile picture scaled
Rtn. Victor Ojelabi

Ojelabi, the publisher of Freelanews, is an award winning and professionally trained mass communicator and a recipient of the D9112 Superstar Icon Award, who writes ruthlessly about pop culture, religion, politics and entertainment.

Also read

  • Gumi says public money can support marriages under shariah
  • Sokoto Police rescue 10-year-old boy, arrest suspect

Related Posts

Amotekun 1 600x362 1
General

BREAKING: Ogun passes Amotekun into law

by Freelanews
March 3, 2020
Buhari
General

President Buhari approves N320.3bn intervention fund for tertiary institutions

by Quadri Olaitan
April 5, 2023
VSy6kJDNq2pSXsCzb6cvYF
General

First cat infected with coronavirus

by Freelanews
March 29, 2020
Bobriskyt jpg
General

Bobrisky treated as normal inmate – NCS officials

by Quadri Olaitan
April 15, 2024
COURT PS L scaled
General

‘Right of ownership’ Son clashes with mother over father’s property, takes her to court

by Freelanews
December 21, 2021

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

ADC

ADC criticises Tinubu over rising food inflation

August 18, 2026
APC

JUST IN: 700 APC members defect to ADC in Sokoto

August 18, 2026
Rodri

Rodri joins Barcelona in €76.5m City move

August 18, 2026
Tinubu

NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

August 18, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
ADC

ADC criticises Tinubu over rising food inflation

August 18, 2026
APC

JUST IN: 700 APC members defect to ADC in Sokoto

August 18, 2026
Rodri

Rodri joins Barcelona in €76.5m City move

August 18, 2026
Tinubu

NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

August 18, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Ogogo

    BREAKING: Nollywood actor Ogogo seriously ill with stage 4 cancer (VIDEO)

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Kemta Ogboni house sealed amid Yayi dispute

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Primate Ayodele warns Tinubu of 2027 defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Canada probe exposes alleged fake Nigerian doctor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

ADC

ADC criticises Tinubu over rising food inflation

August 18, 2026
APC

JUST IN: 700 APC members defect to ADC in Sokoto

August 18, 2026
Rodri

Rodri joins Barcelona in €76.5m City move

August 18, 2026
Tinubu

NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

August 18, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA arrests 80, clears 16 drug joints in Kano

August 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.