The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, arraigned Emmanuel Serah Motunrayo, Awotunde Olugbenga and Idowu Olugbemi Sunday before Justice Olusola Adetujoye of the Oyo State High Court in Ibadan, Oyo State, on August 17 and 19, 2026, over separate allegations of Canadian visa fraud involving more than ₦30 million.
The cases, handled by the EFCC’s Ibadan Zonal Directorate, centre on allegations of forgery, uttering of documents and obtaining money by false pretence in connection with purported Canadian visas and travel arrangements.
Also read: Don Jazzy says Ayra Starr changed his life
Motunrayo and Olugbenga face a 47-count charge involving an alleged ₦23.4 million obtained from two complainants, Oluwatobi Adeoluwa Iyanda and Oyewale Tunji Bello.
According to the EFCC, the pair allegedly presented themselves as travel and immigration agents based in Abuja and promised to assist their clients in securing Canadian visas and making arrangements for overseas travel.
The commission alleged that ₦12.36 million was obtained from Iyanda, while another ₦11.03 million was allegedly collected from Bello before the promised services were not delivered.
One of the allegations centres on a payment of ₦527,000 from Iyanda.
The EFCC claimed the money was obtained after the defendants represented that they would secure a valid Canadian visa and flight ticket for him.
The commission further alleged that the defendants produced a forged Canadian visa dated June 20, 2025, bearing Travel Document Number B011745448 in Iyanda’s name.
Another count accused the defendants of uttering a purported Canadian visa dated July 6, 2025, bearing Travel Document Number B50125702 in Bello’s name.
The documents were allegedly presented as having been issued by the Canadian government.
Both defendants pleaded not guilty to the 47 charges.
Following their pleas, EFCC counsel Mohammed Abideen asked the court to fix a date for trial and remand the defendants in a correctional centre.
Defence counsel Jimoh Wasiu told the court that bail applications had already been filed and urged the judge to release his clients pending the determination of the case.
Justice Adetujoye adjourned proceedings until August 26, 2026, for hearing of the bail applications and ordered that Motunrayo and Olugbenga be remanded at the Agodi Correctional Centre.
A separate case before the same judge involved Idowu Olugbemi Sunday, who was arraigned on a four-count charge over an alleged ₦6.65 million visa transaction.
The EFCC alleged that between June 2025 and January 2026, Sunday obtained ₦6.65 million from Okanlawon Tunji Ajao after allegedly representing that he could secure Canadian visas for Ajao and his family.
The allegations against Sunday also include forgery, uttering of documents and obtaining money by false pretence. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.
EFCC counsel Lanre Suleiman subsequently requested a trial date and asked the court to remand Sunday in a correctional centre.
Defence counsel Tiwalade Shittu said a bail application had been filed and asked the court to grant his client bail on liberal terms.
Justice Adetujoye also fixed August 26 for the hearing of Sunday’s bail application and ordered that he be remanded at Agodi Correctional Centre.
The combined allegations involving the three defendants amount to about ₦30.05 million.
The figure comprises the ₦23.4 million allegedly linked to Motunrayo and Olugbenga and the separate ₦6.65 million allegation against Sunday.
The cases highlight the risks surrounding fraudulent immigration and travel arrangements, particularly where prospective travellers rely on intermediaries to navigate complicated visa procedures.
Canadian visa fraud is not a new area of concern for Nigerian law enforcement.
The EFCC and the Canadian High Commission in Nigeria have previously reaffirmed their commitment to tackling what the commission described as rising cases of visa fraud.
The EFCC has also previously prosecuted similar allegations.
In July 2022, the commission secured the conviction of Kehinde Adewale in Delta State after he was accused of obtaining ₦1.9 million on the pretence of procuring a Canadian visa for a complainant.
The current proceedings are, however, still at the arraignment stage.
None of the three defendants has been convicted, and their pleas of not guilty mean the prosecution must establish its allegations before the court.
The next significant step is scheduled for August 26, when Justice Adetujoye is expected to hear the bail applications.
The eventual trial will determine whether the allegations against the defendants are proved beyond the required legal standard.
Also read: Don Jazzy says Ayra Starr changed his life
For now, the proceedings place the spotlight on the importance of verifying immigration agents, visa documentation and payment arrangements before committing substantial sums to overseas travel plans.
Peculiar Adirika is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, business, and public affairs.


























