The National Onion Producers, Processors and Marketers Association of Nigeria (NOPPMAN) has lifted its suspension of onion exports from Nigeria to Ghana with immediate effect on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, after renewed consultations involving Nigerian and Ghanaian trade authorities, diplomatic officials and ECOWAS stakeholders.
NOPPMAN President Aliyu Maitasamu announced the decision in a public notice, saying the association had reviewed steps being taken to establish a more sustainable framework for cross-border onion commerce.
Also read: FG explains how N15.8tn subsidy savings were spent
“Onion exports from Nigeria to Ghana may resume with immediate effect,” Maitasamu said.
The decision provides a welcome opening for traders after a fresh dispute disrupted the movement of onions into Ghana, particularly through Kotoku Market, one of the country’s major onion trading hubs.
The latest suspension was announced earlier in August after NOPPMAN said Nigerian and Nigerien traders were facing difficulties over the reception, allocation and offloading of consignments at the market, alongside concerns about the safety and uninterrupted movement of legitimate traders.
The dispute was not entirely new. Nigerian onion traders had suspended exports in April after alleging harassment, intimidation and the seizure of onion-laden trucks at Kotoku.
NOPPMAN described the action at the time as a serious disruption to legitimate trade.
Ghanaian authorities, however, presented a different perspective on the April confrontation.
The Ghana News Agency reported that a clash at the Adjen-Kotoku Onion Market involved Ghanaian youth and Nigerian traders amid allegations that Nigerian traders had not complied with agreed market regulations.
Police said investigations were continuing and that the precise cause of the confrontation had not yet been established.
The disagreement later resurfaced in July, when five Nigerian onion trucks were reportedly detained at Kotoku Market.
ECOWAS intervened, leading to the release of the trucks and allowing the consignments to be offloaded.
The Regional Observatory of Onion in West and Central Africa said the intervention helped prevent further economic losses and called for a lasting regional framework.
The repeated disruptions have highlighted the vulnerability of a trade route on which farmers, transporters, wholesalers and consumers depend.
Onions are also highly perishable, meaning prolonged delays at borders or markets can quickly translate into financial losses.
NOPPMAN had previously warned that detained consignments risked deterioration if traders were prevented from offloading them promptly.
Available trade data also confirms that Ghana is an established destination for Nigerian agricultural produce.
World Bank WITS data shows that Ghana imported about 548,650 kilograms of fresh or chilled onions and shallots from Nigeria in 2024, valued at approximately $349,370.
The wider Ghanaian onion market extends beyond Nigeria.
A Ghana vegetable-market study found that Ghana relies significantly on imported onions, with Niger historically supplying a large share of the market.
The study identified Kotoku as a major wholesale hub where imported onions are distributed to markets across Ghana.
NOPPMAN’s latest decision therefore has implications beyond individual traders.
A sustained interruption could affect agricultural incomes, transport activity and the availability and pricing of onions in Ghanaian markets.
Maitasamu has now urged Nigerian exporters and transporters to use the reopening responsibly.
He called on traders to maintain proper documentation and comply with applicable customs, phytosanitary and trade requirements, including relevant provisions under ECOWAS and the African Continental Free Trade Area.
The association also appealed to Ghanaian stakeholders to reciprocate by ensuring the safe reception, lawful movement, fair market access and timely offloading of legitimate Nigerian and Nigerien consignments.
“Any disagreement or dispute arising from the conduct of onion trade should be addressed through dialogue, consultation and the appropriate dispute-resolution mechanisms, rather than through intimidation, obstruction, violence or retaliatory measures,” Maitasamu said.
The emphasis on dialogue reflects the central lesson from the repeated disputes.
Although individual confrontations have been resolved, the underlying disagreements over market access, trader associations and operating procedures have continued to resurface.
ECOWAS has previously pushed for a more durable arrangement.
Following the July truck detention, the Regional Observatory of Onion in West and Central Africa called for Nigeria, Ghana, Niger and industry stakeholders to develop a regional framework covering quality standards, trading procedures, dispute resolution and cross-border payments.
The renewed reopening consequently offers more than a temporary return to business.
It provides both countries and regional institutions with another opportunity to address the structural problems that have repeatedly interrupted the trade.
For Nigerian onion producers and exporters, the immediate priority is getting consignments moving again without fresh obstruction.
For Ghanaian traders and consumers, uninterrupted supply could help restore stability to an important food market.
Also read: FG explains how N15.8tn subsidy savings were spent
The success of the latest arrangement will ultimately depend on whether the stakeholders can turn the current consultations into a durable and transparent trading framework.
Ibrahim Onipede is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, public affairs, and human-interest stories.


























