• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News JUST IN

JUST IN: Police detain Osun SSG, five others amid investigation

Quadri Olaitan by Quadri Olaitan
July 29, 2026
in JUST IN
0 0
0
SSG
thenacre-campaign

Police say Teslim Igbalaye and five others are being investigated after cash, voter cards and a voter register were recovered, while the state government alleges an unlawful raid

The arrest of Osun State Secretary to the State Government, Teslim Igbalaye, and five others has triggered a sharp dispute between the Osun State Police Command and the state government following a raid at the SSG’s residence in Osogbo on Wednesday.

Also read: Osun violence escalates as gunmen attack INEC officials, steal PVCs

The police said Igbalaye, 47, was arrested alongside Akande Taiwo, 60, Oladele Abiodun, 38, Adeyemo Lukman, 45, Olaoye Muftau, 50, and Aderemi Musliu, 40, during an intelligence-led operation targeting suspected members of a criminal gang.

The command also identified Abiodun as a suspect on its watchlist in connection with alleged criminal offences.

According to the Police Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Ojelabi, the operation led to the recovery of $3,321, equivalent to N4,810,500, two Permanent Voter Cards, a voter register covering Wards 1 to 15, a Dynabook laptop, a photocopier and a printer.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

Ojelabi said the police team acted on intelligence that members of a criminal gang were hiding at a location in Osogbo before carrying out what the command described as a lawful raid.

He said the recovered items had been secured in police custody for forensic examination and further investigation.

“The recovery of the cash and the register containing voters’ details raises serious concerns regarding possible electoral offences and other criminal activities,” the police statement said.

The command said the investigation would examine the source and intended use of the recovered funds and determine whether the suspects had any connection to alleged criminal activities.

Among the possible offences being investigated, according to the police, is voter bribery, or vote-buying, under Section 121 of the Electoral Act, 2022.

The command also listed criminal conspiracy and the alleged harbouring or concealment of a wanted criminal among offences that could potentially arise from the investigation, while stressing that other offences could be established as inquiries progress.

Police authorities emphasised that the allegations carried significant implications for public security, the administration of justice and the credibility of Nigeria’s democratic process.

“Accordingly, investigations are being intensified to identify all persons connected with the recovered exhibits, establish the source and intended use of the recovered funds, and determine the full extent of any criminal enterprise,” the statement added.

adron lemon friday

The police also maintained that no individual was above the law, regardless of political affiliation, social status or public office.

The command said anyone found culpable at the conclusion of the investigation would be prosecuted in accordance with the Constitution and applicable laws.

However, the Osun State Government has disputed the police account of the operation, alleging that officers invaded Igbalaye’s residence without a search warrant.

The state government’s position was contained in a statement signed by the Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, and obtained in Osogbo on Wednesday.

Alimi alleged that a combined team of police officers, led by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Operations, forced its way into the SSG’s residence.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

He further claimed that the individuals present on the premises were arrested during the operation.

The government’s allegation introduces a significant legal and procedural dispute into the case, with the two sides offering sharply different accounts of how the operation was conducted.

While the police described the raid as a lawful operation based on intelligence concerning suspected criminal activity, the state government questioned the legality of the search and the manner in which the arrests were carried out.

The disagreement is particularly sensitive because the items reportedly recovered include voter cards and a register containing details of voters across 15 wards.

The police said these materials, alongside the recovered cash, would undergo forensic examination as investigators seek to establish their relevance to any alleged electoral or criminal activity.

The recovery has also raised questions about the circumstances in which the materials were found at the residence of a senior state government official.

However, the police have not established that Igbalaye personally owned or controlled all the recovered items, and the investigation remains ongoing.

Similarly, the arrest of Igbalaye does not in itself establish guilt, as the allegations against him and the other suspects must be tested through due process and, where necessary, the courts.

The Osun SSG arrest has therefore created an unusual political and security flashpoint, placing the state government and the police command on opposing sides of a dispute involving alleged electoral offences, suspected criminal activity and the legality of a police search.

The development also comes against the backdrop of Nigeria’s continuing concerns over vote-buying and the use of voter information during electoral periods.

Any proven misuse of electoral materials or inducements could have wider implications for public confidence in the democratic process.

For now, the police say investigations are being intensified and that the recovered exhibits remain in custody, while the state government has raised questions over the legality of the operation.

The police urged residents to remain calm and law-abiding and called for credible information that could assist in preventing crime and supporting peaceful, free, fair and credible elections.

Also read: INEC opens PVC collection ahead of Osun governorship poll

The competing accounts are expected to keep attention focused on the investigation, particularly on the circumstances surrounding the raid, the ownership and intended use of the recovered items, and whether any criminal or electoral offences can ultimately be established against those arrested.

Quadri Olaitan
Quadri Olaitan

Quadri Olaitan is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, public affairs, and human-interest stories.

Related Posts

Tinubu
JUST IN

JUST IN: Tinubu approves ambassador postings to US, UK, France

by Quadri Olaitan
January 23, 2026
Ibadan scholar remanded over defamation
JUST IN

Ibadan scholar remanded over defamation in shocking court decision

by Oreoluwa Ojelabi
June 30, 2025
Fire
JUST IN

Fire razes parts of Jama’a Emir’s palace in Kaduna

by Quadri Olaitan
February 28, 2026
Kaduna
JUST IN

Priest, 10 others kidnapped, 3 killed in Kaduna attack

by Quadri Olaitan
February 7, 2026
US Embassy
JUST IN

US Embassy warns of possible terror threat in Nigeria

by Quadri Olaitan
March 9, 2026

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Sheringham

Sheringham questions £35m Tielemans move to Man United

August 20, 2026
Oyedele

Oyedele rejects calls for details of Nigeria’s $5bn loan

August 20, 2026
Osogbo shooting

Osogbo shooting: 60-year-old Man killed in clash

August 20, 2026
yamal

Mourinho delivers blunt verdict on Barcelona wonderkid Yamal

August 20, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Sheringham

Sheringham questions £35m Tielemans move to Man United

August 20, 2026
Oyedele

Oyedele rejects calls for details of Nigeria’s $5bn loan

August 20, 2026
Osogbo shooting

Osogbo shooting: 60-year-old Man killed in clash

August 20, 2026
yamal

Mourinho delivers blunt verdict on Barcelona wonderkid Yamal

August 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Fadahunsi

    Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • N90 fuel relief: Dangote refinery reshapes petrol prices

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Canada probe exposes alleged fake Nigerian doctor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Sheringham

Sheringham questions £35m Tielemans move to Man United

August 20, 2026
Oyedele

Oyedele rejects calls for details of Nigeria’s $5bn loan

August 20, 2026
Osogbo shooting

Osogbo shooting: 60-year-old Man killed in clash

August 20, 2026
yamal

Mourinho delivers blunt verdict on Barcelona wonderkid Yamal

August 20, 2026
Blaqbonez

Blaqbonez breaks silence on bitter Odumodublvck feud

August 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.