• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News General

‘Second wave’ Lagos govt imposes new restrictions as COVID-19 cases rise again

Freelanews by Freelanews
December 18, 2020
in General
0 0
0
Babajide Sanwo Olu 2
thenacre-campaign

Following the resurgence of coronavirus around the world, the Lagos State government has issued fresh directives for residents to comply with.

In a press statement by the governor of Lagos, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, it said the state is recording an increase in COVID-19 cases in all local governments, and there is a need for fresh guidelines.

Mr Sanwo-Olu, who tested positive to COVID-19 last week, is in isolation and undergoing treatment.

Several cases of COVID-19 have also been recorded in Nigeria in the last weeks with top officials testing positive.

The daily positive cases of COVID-19 in Nigeria also exceeded 1000 on Thursday, the highest daily figure so far since the outbreak of the infection in Nigeria in March.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

‘Reckless disregard’

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

In his statement, the governor said Lagosians are going about in reckless disregard of COVID-19 safety protocols, an act that can jeopardise the health of the citizenry.

He noted that ”there is an unfortunate public perception that the state has seen the end of the COVID-19 pandemic, which is wrong and dangerous.”

“We are getting credible reports that the entertainment industry is planning large gatherings, concerts, street parties and carnivals, in the spirit of the Yuletide. Night Clubs have also re-opened in reckless disregard of the existing guidelines, and Events Centres are operating with huge gatherings without any regard for public health and safety guidelines.

“This same disregard for Coronavirus guidelines is also being observed with Places of Worship across the State, in both their regular gatherings and the special gatherings organised to commemorate this Season,” the governor wrote.

He said 10 out of 100 COVID-19 tests turn out to be positive, an increase from the five per hundred recorded in September, he disclosed.

Mr Sanwo-Olu said the second wave of COVID-19 ”calls for a full re-awakening of caution and precaution.”Given the uptick in the number of COVID-19 cases in the state, the governor said fresh directives are needed.

Fresh directives

•All public servants from GL 14 and below, except emergency workers and first responders, are to work from home as from Monday, December 21st for the next 14 days – in the first instance.

•All schools must shut down with immediate effect, and until further notice.

•Concerts, carnivals and street parties are banned in Lagos State until further notice.

•Night Clubs have not been allowed to open yet. All Night Clubs in Lagos must immediately shut down, until further notice.

•The midnight to 4am curfew imposed by the Federal Government remains in place.

•The protocol of ‘No Mask No Entry’ must be enforced by all public places: Offices, Businesses, Markets, Shops, and so on.

•All Places of Worship (Churches, Mosques, etc.) must ensure that no gathering exceeds two hours, and also that no gathering exceeds 50% of the maximum capacity of the Venue.

•All Event Planners must obtain prior clearance from the Lagos State Safety Commission (www.lasgsafetyreg.com) for all events, and ensure that any planned gatherings do not exceed 300 people.

adron lemon friday

Resurgence

As of Friday, the state has conducted 197,000 COVID-19 tests and 26,000 were positive. A total number of 226 persons have died from the the infection, the governor said.

“We will continue to closely watch the profile of the unfolding situation, while also awaiting updates and pronouncements from the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.

“We will also keep working with the Presidential Task Force to ensure that the gains of the recent past are not frittered away on the altar of festivities and sheer carelessness. The lives of ALL Lagosians, including our elders and other vulnerable citizens, matter,” he said.

The governor encouraged citizens to wear face masks at all times, properly wash or sanitiae their hands and practice physical distancing.

freelanews
Freelanews

Freelanews is the editorial byline of Freelanews.com, used for staff reports, news updates, press releases, and collaborative stories produced by the Freelanews Editorial Team.

Related Posts

nnn jpg
General

Abducted Chinese national rescued in Abia – Official

by Quadri Olaitan
June 7, 2023
Why Osimhen may remain at Napoli
General

Why Osimhen may remain at Napoli

by Quadri Olaitan
July 23, 2024
146219 scaled
General

‘Expropriation’ FG to confiscate 7 United Nations properties due to tax evasion

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
January 26, 2022
WhatsApp Image 2021 03 19 at 3.05.54 PM
General

‘Wondaland’ Teni drops 17-track debut album

by Freelanews
March 19, 2021
Arsenal
General

Arsenal request Premier League fixture change

by David Okere
November 11, 2025

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

ADC

ADC criticises Tinubu over rising food inflation

August 18, 2026
APC

JUST IN: 700 APC members defect to ADC in Sokoto

August 18, 2026
Rodri

Rodri joins Barcelona in €76.5m City move

August 18, 2026
Tinubu

NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

August 18, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
ADC

ADC criticises Tinubu over rising food inflation

August 18, 2026
APC

JUST IN: 700 APC members defect to ADC in Sokoto

August 18, 2026
Rodri

Rodri joins Barcelona in €76.5m City move

August 18, 2026
Tinubu

NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

August 18, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Ogogo

    BREAKING: Nollywood actor Ogogo seriously ill with stage 4 cancer (VIDEO)

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Kemta Ogboni house sealed amid Yayi dispute

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Primate Ayodele warns Tinubu of 2027 defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Canada probe exposes alleged fake Nigerian doctor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

ADC

ADC criticises Tinubu over rising food inflation

August 18, 2026
APC

JUST IN: 700 APC members defect to ADC in Sokoto

August 18, 2026
Rodri

Rodri joins Barcelona in €76.5m City move

August 18, 2026
Tinubu

NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

August 18, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA arrests 80, clears 16 drug joints in Kano

August 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.