• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Fayose challenges Davido over ₦40bn Osun spending claim

The former Ekiti governor says Accord and APC both spent heavily in the August 15 Osun election, but provides no evidence for his ₦40bn estimate.

Olawale Olaleye by Olawale Olaleye
August 19, 2026
in News, Politics
0 0
0
Fayose challenges Davido

Fayose challenges Davido over ₦40bn Osun spending claim

thenacre-campaign

Former Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose has challenged Afrobeats singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, over claims about campaign spending during the August 15, 2026 Osun State governorship election, alleging that the Accord Party spent at least ₦40 billion in the closely fought contest.

Fayose made the allegation in a video interview with TVC journalist Nifemi Oguntoye published on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, while responding to Davido’s claim that the All Progressives Congress spent about ₦110 billion on vote-buying during the election.

Also read: Founders and investors find ROI in ME

Davido, who is the nephew of Osun Governor Ademola Adeleke, had also argued that the Accord Party did not rely on money to secure the governor’s re-election, saying the party’s victory was driven by the people of the state.

Fayose offered a sharply different account.

“Accord Party led the opponents.

The money that went to that election from the Accord party itself cannot be under N40 billion. I stand to be corrected,” Fayose said.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

The former governor did not provide documentary evidence to substantiate the ₦40 billion figure.

His claim should therefore be treated as an allegation rather than an established account of campaign expenditure.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

Fayose also alleged that more than ₦7.5 billion was distributed across local government areas and wards shortly before the election, with some wards allegedly receiving at least ₦35 million.

“In a ward of about 7, 8, 9 polling units,” Fayose said, while describing the alleged distribution.

Again, no independent evidence establishing the alleged payments was presented in the interview.

The competing claims have added another layer to the political fallout from an election that was already marked by accusations of vote-buying, financial interference and the use of state institutions.

The Independent National Electoral Commission declared Ademola Adeleke the winner with 511,067 votes, while APC candidate Bola Oyebamiji secured 444,815 votes.

African Democratic Congress candidate Najeem Salaam finished third with 17,180 votes.

Adeleke’s winning margin was therefore 66,252 votes.

Fayose argued that the result should not be reduced to spending alone, pointing instead to the Adeleke family’s longstanding political strength in Ede.

adron lemon friday

“The Adelekes are rooted in their hometown. Omisore or APC has no presence,” Fayose said.

Fayose claimed that about 46,000 votes of Adeleke’s overall margin came from Ede, arguing that the political advantage in the area was difficult for the APC to overcome.

He also suggested that the APC should consider challenging the result in court if the party believed there were grounds to contest the figures.

“I think they should go to court,” Fayose said.

The controversy over election finances had already intensified before polling day.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission froze an Osun State Government account on August 5, 10 days before the election, after directing the bank to place the account under a “Post No Debit” restriction.

The EFCC said its action was unrelated to the election and followed what it described as suspicious transfers from state accounts.

The commission said it had been investigating alleged handling of about ₦11 billion in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and Federal Account Allocation Committee funds since March 2026.

Governor Adeleke disputed the action and described it as politically motivated, while the state government moved to challenge the restriction in court.

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu subsequently directed the EFCC to return to court and vacate the restriction, according to the Presidency.

That episode became part of the wider political atmosphere surrounding the election, with the APC and Accord Party trading allegations over the use of public institutions and financial resources.

Fayose’s latest intervention also pushes back against the narrative that Adeleke’s victory was achieved entirely through popular enthusiasm without significant campaign spending.

“The fact remains that both parties spent stupendously. They spent beyond the threshold like every other political party,” Fayose said.

The statement is significant because Nigeria’s Electoral Act establishes limits on campaign expenditure, making credible documentation of campaign financing important when allegations of spending on such a scale emerge.

Yet the available public evidence does not independently establish Fayose’s ₦40 billion estimate for Accord or Davido’s ₦110 billion allegation against the APC.

The exchange between the two figures also carries a personal political dimension.

Davido’s family connection to Adeleke has made his public defence of the governor a recurring feature of the campaign, while Fayose remains a prominent Peoples Democratic Party figure who has recently made a series of comments about the Osun election and President Tinubu.

Despite the controversy, the election result itself remains clear.

Adeleke secured a second term after defeating Oyebamiji by more than 66,000 votes, winning 19 of Osun’s 30 local government areas, according to the figures cited in reports of the election.

For Fayose, however, the figures tell only part of the story.

His argument is that the contest involved substantial financial mobilisation on both sides and that the Adeleke family’s established support base, particularly in Ede, was a decisive advantage.

Also read: Founders and investors find ROI in ME

The competing claims now leave a broader question for electoral stakeholders: whether future elections can provide clearer transparency around campaign financing and the movement of political funds.

Olawale Olaleye
Olawale Olaleye

Olawale Olaleye is a journalist, editor, and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering public affairs, governance, and national issues.

Also read

  • Osun victory: Adeleke receives INEC certificate in Osogbo
  • Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

Related Posts

Osimhen
Sport

Osimhen reveals reason for turning down Galatasaray’s no. 9 jersey

by Quadri Olaitan
August 6, 2026
IPA Agency IPA46245476
News

Negative Usyk warning raises fears for Paul vs Joshua

by Peculiar Adirika
December 4, 2025
pain in back from sitting thumb detail 660x430 1
General

‘Sitting for too long may cause diabetes, heart diseases

by Quadri Olaitan
October 9, 2023
a28a4679 muhammadu buhari 696x385 1
General

Buhari restricts ministers on foreign trips, estacodes

by Freelanews
December 30, 2019
kMvZk28f
General

‘Scam!’ APC used restructuring to win votes for Buhari, Prof Onabanjo says

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
November 4, 2020

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
Fadahunsi

Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
Fadahunsi

Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
Fadahunsi

Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

August 19, 2026
Isese Day

Lagos, Ogun approve August 20 holiday for Isese Day

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.