• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News

UK pledges £442m to move rough sleepers off streets by Christmas

The Prime Minister says every rough sleeper in England will be offered a route off the streets by Christmas, with more than 1,000 settled homes planned over three years.

David Okere by David Okere
August 20, 2026
in News
0 0
0
UK
thenacre-campaign

Prime Minister Andy Burnham has launched a £442m rough sleeping drive across England, promising to offer everyone sleeping rough a route off the streets by Christmas through emergency accommodation, housing support and help with health and other needs.

The announcement came on Wednesday, August 19, one month after Burnham made ending rough sleeping his first instruction as Prime Minister.

Also read: Authority bans nail polish in UK

The programme is designed to provide an immediate response this winter while building a longer-term pathway into settled accommodation.

The government said the package is fully funded from uncommitted budgets within the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.

It combines £340m announced in July with a further £102m for immediate routes off the streets and additional support.

The scale of the challenge is considerable. Official figures show that an estimated 4,793 people were sleeping rough on a single night in England in autumn 2025, the highest figure since the current snapshot system began. The number rose by 3 per cent from 2024 and marked the fourth consecutive annual increase.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

More recent management information offers a slightly different picture. In March 2026, an estimated 7,541 people were seen sleeping rough over the month, 2 per cent fewer than a year earlier. Of those, 40 per cent had been sleeping rough long-term, while 13 per cent were returning to the streets.

That distinction matters because rough sleeping is fluid. A person counted on one night may not be on the streets several weeks later, while others can move in and out of homelessness repeatedly.

Burnham has framed the new initiative around the belief that government can act quickly when there is sufficient political will.

His approach draws on the emergency response used during the Covid-19 pandemic, when authorities moved thousands of people sleeping rough into temporary accommodation.

“No-one should have to bed down in a doorway or outside a station,” Burnham said. “I won’t accept it.”

He has also called for a broader social response, arguing that government funding alone cannot solve the problem.

A national summit planned for the autumn will bring together representatives from business, finance, charities, health and faith communities to consider how different sectors can contribute.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

The government says the funding will support more than 1,000 settled homes over the next three years, alongside intensive support for people experiencing long-term homelessness.

Areas under the greatest pressure will receive the largest share, with councils and mayors responsible for deciding how services are delivered locally.

Housing Secretary Angela Rayner said the package was intended to move the government from a pledge to practical action, with local authorities being given guidance to mobilise support quickly.

The plan also gives particular attention to women sleeping rough. The government acknowledges that women can be under-represented in official counts because their experiences of homelessness are often less visible and more transient.

Local authorities are being encouraged to consider single-sex accommodation and specialist, trauma-informed support for women who have experienced domestic abuse or sexual violence.

Charities have broadly welcomed the announcement, while stressing that emergency accommodation must lead to secure housing rather than become a temporary holding measure.

Matt Downie, chief executive of Crisis, described the package as a potential turning point and said moving people from the streets into secure homes could save lives. Dr Emma Haddad, chief executive of St Mungo’s, called the commitment a “pivotal moment” for people experiencing rough sleeping.

Lord John Bird, co-founder of the Big Issue, welcomed the return to the spirit of the pandemic response but warned against allowing temporary intervention to become an end in itself.

“COVID proved that when we decide rough sleeping is unacceptable, we can act and get people in off the streets,” Bird said. “But it’s important that people are not just brought in from the cold for a few weeks, only to be sent back out again.”

That concern sits at the heart of the government’s wider challenge. Its own national homelessness plan acknowledges that some people need more than a roof, including specialist support for mental health, physical health and other complex needs.

The government has already committed £3.5bn for homelessness prevention and rough sleeping services between 2026/27 and 2028/29.

The new £8.4m allocation to the Ending Homelessness in Communities Fund will also support 100 projects involving small and medium-sized charities and community organisations.

Burnham has added a personal gesture to the political pledge, telling the Big Issue that he will donate 15 per cent of his Prime Ministerial salary to homelessness causes.

He said he wanted to “lead from the front” and avoid a situation in which rough sleeping simply becomes an accepted feature of British life.

The Prime Minister’s ambition is therefore broader than finding beds for the coming winter.

The immediate Christmas deadline provides a clear test of whether councils, charities and central government can rapidly create enough safe accommodation, while the longer-term programme will be judged on whether people remain housed after the emergency phase ends.

adron lemon friday

For Burnham, the political promise is deliberately stark. For people sleeping on England’s streets, the significance will ultimately be measured less by the announcement itself than by whether the offer reaches them, whether the accommodation is suitable and whether the support continues when the winter emergency has passed.

The government is betting that the combination of funding, local action and a powerful national mobilisation can turn that promise into a lasting reduction in rough sleeping.

Also read: Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

The scale of the task, against record recent figures, means the coming months will provide an unusually important test of that strategy.

David Okere
David Okere

David Okere is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering business, governance, public affairs, and human-interest stories with a commitment to accuracy, balance, and public interest reporting.

Also read

  • Owumi: Jos pre-season clash can transform NPFL’s CAF campaign
  • Ogun police declare war on reckless driving, illegal parking

Related Posts

Tinubu
General

Tinubu dismisses BPE, FCCPC heads

by Quadri Olaitan
January 9, 2024
603776668a765 1
Crime

‘At last’ Kidnapped Adamawa FC driver regains freedom

by Freelanews
February 25, 2021
Benin Artefacts
General

‘Spiritual, traditional, cultural significance’ Oba of Benin speaks on return of artefacts looted by Britain, others

by Freelanews
May 22, 2021
Crime

Gunmen kidnap and kill Pastor in Anambra

by Quadri Olaitan
March 10, 2023
GTBank
General

‘Orange heart’ GTB donates medical facility for COVID-19

by Freelanews
March 26, 2020

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Blaqbonez

Blaqbonez breaks silence on bitter Odumodublvck feud

August 20, 2026
Owumi

Owumi: Jos pre-season clash can transform NPFL’s CAF campaign

August 20, 2026
Ogun police

Ogun police declare war on reckless driving, illegal parking

August 20, 2026
Tegbe

Tegbe unveils 272MW boost for Lagos power grid

August 20, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Blaqbonez

Blaqbonez breaks silence on bitter Odumodublvck feud

August 20, 2026
Owumi

Owumi: Jos pre-season clash can transform NPFL’s CAF campaign

August 20, 2026
Ogun police

Ogun police declare war on reckless driving, illegal parking

August 20, 2026
Tegbe

Tegbe unveils 272MW boost for Lagos power grid

August 20, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Fadahunsi

    Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fayose challenges Davido over ₦40bn Osun spending claim

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Blaqbonez

Blaqbonez breaks silence on bitter Odumodublvck feud

August 20, 2026
Owumi

Owumi: Jos pre-season clash can transform NPFL’s CAF campaign

August 20, 2026
Ogun police

Ogun police declare war on reckless driving, illegal parking

August 20, 2026
Tegbe

Tegbe unveils 272MW boost for Lagos power grid

August 20, 2026
Nafiu

Nafiu issues strong social media warning to corps members

August 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.