The Osun State Police Command, led by Commissioner Bode Ojajuni, said Tajudeen Yusuf, a 60-year-old man, was shot dead in Osogbo, Osun State, following a confrontation involving suspected hoodlums and the security team of Nigerian singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido.
The incident occurred shortly after Davido accompanied Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanipekun, where the governor presented his certificate of return to the monarch after winning the August 15 governorship election.
Also read: Mourinho delivers blunt verdict on Barcelona wonderkid Yamal
According to the police account, the confrontation began when suspected hoodlums allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido.
The ensuing incident reportedly escalated into gunfire, with Yusuf caught in the violence.
The police said the suspects fled the scene after allegedly opening fire and that a full-scale investigation had commenced to establish the circumstances surrounding the shooting and identify those responsible.
The development has added to security concerns in Osun only days after the state’s governorship election, which was held on August 15 amid a substantial security presence.
More than 15,000 security personnel had reportedly been deployed across the state for the election, with police saying the deployment was intended to protect voters and maintain public order.
The latest Osogbo shooting has also drawn attention because of the presence of Davido, whose visit came alongside Governor Adeleke’s post-election engagement with the traditional institution.
Police later identified Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged”, as a suspected figure involved in the confrontation.
The command described him as an alleged notorious thug, an ex-convict and a member of the Eye Confraternity.
According to the police, Small Rugged allegedly attempted to approach Davido but was resisted by members of the singer’s security team.
The police account is now part of an ongoing investigation, and allegations surrounding individual responsibility have not been established by a court.
The incident is particularly troubling against the backdrop of recent political tensions in Osun.
Ahead of the August 15 election, authorities and political actors repeatedly raised concerns about violence and called for restraint.
Governor Adeleke had previously urged residents to reject threats and inflammatory rhetoric ahead of the election, while the police also warned political actors and residents against conduct capable of disrupting public peace.
The election itself was conducted under heavy security, with early voting in Osogbo reported to have taken place in a generally calm atmosphere.
The killing of Yusuf therefore presents a sobering contrast to the relatively calm atmosphere reported during voting, renewing questions about security in the aftermath of a closely watched political contest.
Police authorities have urged members of the public with relevant information about the shooting to assist investigators.
The command’s investigation is expected to determine how the confrontation unfolded, who fired the fatal shots and whether additional individuals were involved.
For Yusuf’s family and residents of Osogbo, the episode has transformed what began as a high-profile visit to a traditional palace into a tragic reminder of the human cost that can follow violent confrontations.
Also read: Mourinho delivers blunt verdict on Barcelona wonderkid Yamal
As the investigation continues, authorities face the delicate task of establishing the facts while preventing speculation from further inflaming tensions in the state.
Dr. Steven Adesemoye is a Senior Lecturer in Mass Communication at Lagos State University of Science and Technology (LASUSTECH) and a contributor to Freelanews.com, writing on media, communication, education, and public affairs.


























