Galatasaray could reportedly consider a bid above £60m as Arsenal weigh a major move for the 27-year-old Nigeria striker
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has received an encouraging development in the club’s pursuit of Galatasaray striker Victor Osimhen, with reports on Monday, August 17, 2026, claiming that a bid above £60 million could persuade the Turkish champions to consider selling the 27-year-old Nigeria international.
Also read: Galatasaray rejects £111m Osimhen bid
The latest claim, reported by Football Insider and carried by several outlets, adds fresh momentum to the Arsenal Osimhen chase after the Premier League champions emerged as serious contenders for the prolific forward.
Osimhen has not ruled out a move. Speaking after scoring twice in Galatasaray’s opening league fixture, the striker adopted a measured approach when asked about his future.
“There are always rumours in transfer seasons. I will take care of my business. I am focused on my job, then we will see and think further,” Osimhen said.
The response has kept the door open without suggesting that a transfer is imminent. Osimhen remains under contract with Galatasaray until 2029 after completing a permanent move from Napoli last year.
Galatasaray paid Napoli €75 million for Osimhen in July 2025, making the Nigerian the most expensive signing in the Turkish club’s history. The agreement also gave Napoli 10 per cent of any profit from a future sale.
The striker has quickly justified that investment. Galatasaray recorded 35 goals from Osimhen during his first season with the club, including 26 in 30 Süper Lig appearances, according to Opta’s player data and the Turkish champions’ own records.
The reported £60 million threshold would therefore represent a significant financial decision for Galatasaray, particularly given the scale of the club’s original investment and Osimhen’s importance to Okan Buruk’s side.
Arsenal’s interest has also developed alongside discussions involving Gabriel Martinelli.
Recent reports say Galatasaray have explored a deal for the Brazilian winger, while Arsenal have raised Osimhen’s availability during those conversations. However, reports indicate that any move for Osimhen would be negotiated separately from a potential Martinelli transfer.
That distinction could become important as Arsenal attempt to strengthen their squad without allowing separate negotiations to become unnecessarily complicated.
Arteta has already indicated that Arsenal remain active in the transfer market after a busy summer. The manager has stressed that the club wants to add further quality and depth where possible.
“There is more that we want to do because every time we have an opportunity to improve the squad and bring more quality and depth to the squad, we need to do that,” Arteta said.
The Arsenal manager also acknowledged that completing transfers depends on the decisions of other clubs and players, adding that the club was “actively trying” to improve the squad.
Arsenal have already strengthened with the arrivals of Bruno Guimarães, Christos Tzolis, Piero Hincapié and Illan Meslier, but the pursuit of an elite striker would represent another major statement from the reigning Premier League champions.
Osimhen’s financial demands would also make any potential move significant. Salary estimates put his current Galatasaray package at around €20 million gross annually, including fixed salary and bonuses, although salary figures from such sources are estimates rather than official club disclosures.
For Arsenal, the attraction is clear. Osimhen combines physical presence, pace and proven goalscoring ability, while his experience in both the Champions League and international football would add considerable depth to Arteta’s attacking options.
For Galatasaray, however, selling one of their most influential players less than two years into his permanent contract would carry sporting risks.
The reported £60 million-plus figure should therefore be viewed as a potential negotiating threshold rather than evidence that an agreement has been reached.
Arsenal have yet to confirm a formal bid, while Galatasaray have not announced that Osimhen is available for that amount.
Also read: Osimhen faces criticism after Villarreal clash
With the transfer window approaching its final stages, the coming weeks could determine whether Arsenal turn the growing speculation into a concrete offer for one of Africa’s most formidable forwards.
David Okere is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering business, governance, public affairs, and human-interest stories with a commitment to accuracy, balance, and public interest reporting.


























