• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News General

SIM-NIN linkage: NCC warns telcos against non-compliance

Quadri Olaitan by Quadri Olaitan
March 1, 2024
in General
0 0
0
NCC and sim cards jpg
thenacre-campaign

The Nigerian Communications Commission has said telecommunication companies that fail to comply with the directive to block Subscriber Identity Module cards not linked to National Identification Numbers will face sanctions.

According to Mouka, the regulatory directive mandates telecom operators to comply, and any non-compliance will result in sanctions.

The NCC Director stated, “It is not an issue whether the telcos have started complying or not. We have asked to link the SIM cards to NIN. We have given our directives, and we expect compliance. So, if there is any evidence of non-compliance, what follows would be sanction.

Asked when this sanction would commence, Mouka said, “We can’t say this is the time we would begin to start sanctioning. That also requires a regulatory process. But any operator that fails to comply will be sanctioned.”

The telecom regulator had in December asked telcos to bar an estimated 12 million lines that have not been linked to the owners’ NINs after the expiration of the February 28, 2024, deadline.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

On Wednesday, the NCC reaffirmed its stance on the matter and ruled out an extension of the deadline.

The telecom operators who spoke to our correspondent aligned with the regulator to disconnect SIMs not linked to NIN.

The Chairman of the Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria, Gbenga Adebayo, said telecom operators would adhere to the NCC’s directive.

Adebayo stated, “About 12 million SIM cards may not have been linked to NIN. Some of these SIM cards work on modems and WiFi devices.

“According to the regulatory directives, those numbers that are not properly linked to NIN will have services withdrawn by midnight today. We stand by that regulatory directive, and we are going to comply.”

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

The compulsory linkage began in December 2020, when the federal government, through the NCC, directed telcos to block calls from unregistered and unlinked NINs.

Since then, there have been extensions, but over 12 million SIMs still remain unlinked to NIN.

The move by the FG to mandate the linking of phone numbers was to enhance security measures in the country. The directive aimed to streamline the identification process and improve accountability for individuals associated with specific phone lines.

By limiting the registration of a maximum of four SIMs to a single NIN, the government seeks to facilitate easier identification of line owners, enabling effective monitoring and matching of these numbers.

The restriction is intended to combat crime by ensuring that individuals are accountable for activities linked to their registered lines, thereby tightening security measures against criminal activities such as kidnapping, banditry, and terrorism.

adron lemon friday

Earlier this month, the Executive Vice Chairman, Aminu Maida, addressed the challenges posed by pre-registered or illegally registered SIM cards, stating that this has been an ongoing issue.

He also mentioned that the directive would help make data-driven decisions that will help the industry.

The EVC stated, “You are going to see a change in the way we make decisions; we are going to be very data-driven. All our decisions are going to be backed up by data as much as possible. We want to reduce subjectiveness and make the right decisions that will improve the industry.

“We intend to hold our licensees accountable for all services. After all, consumers pay for the services, and they expect the service to be at a certain level or point, so we will be holding our licensees accountable to ensure they deliver on their obligations to their licenses.

“We need to put smiles back on the faces of consumers. NCC is clear on this: we need to protect the interests of consumers. They remain number one because that is where you extract values from. Yet, the interests of licensed operators will also be protected while we put eyes on their activities to see the level of compliance.”

Quadri Olaitan
Quadri Olaitan

Quadri Olaitan is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, public affairs, and human-interest stories.

Related Posts

Minister Industry Trade and Investment Dr Doris Uzoka Anite scaled
General

Minister of Industry reveals N500 billion economic loss due to Protest

by Oreoluwa Ojelabi
August 12, 2024
bosun tijani2 1200x800 1 scaled
General

Minister denies claims of network tampering during August 1 protest

by Oreoluwa Ojelabi
August 2, 2024
355125763 3102832866685723 8173000239099823237 n
General

Major baby diaper giant to shut down $100m Nigerian production facility amid economic challenges

by Freelanews
May 30, 2024
GANDUJE AND WIFE PS
General

‘Bribery and land fraud!’ EFCC revels reasons behind Kano governor’s wife’s arrest

by Freelanews
October 6, 2021
Screenshot 2021 04 27 Straight Nigerian woman marries gay best friend but claim they never have sex photos YabaLeftOnl...
General

‘Instant chemistry?!’ Straight woman marries gay best friend, claims they never have sex (Photos)

by Freelanews
April 27, 2021

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

FCCPC

FCCPC probes Nigeria’s rising cement prices

August 19, 2026
Dangote

Dangote Refinery secures $1bn IPO backing

August 19, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

August 19, 2026
Oluremi

Oluremi Tinubu launches food bank programme in Ogun

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
FCCPC

FCCPC probes Nigeria’s rising cement prices

August 19, 2026
Dangote

Dangote Refinery secures $1bn IPO backing

August 19, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

August 19, 2026
Oluremi

Oluremi Tinubu launches food bank programme in Ogun

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Ogogo

    BREAKING: Nollywood actor Ogogo seriously ill with stage 4 cancer (VIDEO)

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Kemta Ogboni house sealed amid Yayi dispute

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Primate Ayodele warns Tinubu of 2027 defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

FCCPC

FCCPC probes Nigeria’s rising cement prices

August 19, 2026
Dangote

Dangote Refinery secures $1bn IPO backing

August 19, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

August 19, 2026
Oluremi

Oluremi Tinubu launches food bank programme in Ogun

August 19, 2026
Chris Oyakhilome

Chris Oyakhilome unveils Tsion electric vehicles

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.