• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News

FIFA fires COO Kevin Lamour after Infantino criticism

FIFA ends Kevin Lamour’s two-year tenure after his public opposition to Gianni Infantino’s abandoned private-investment plan.

Peter Yakub by Peter Yakub
August 18, 2026
in News, Sports
0 0
0
FIFA

FIFA fires COO Kevin Lamour after Infantino criticism

thenacre-campaign

FIFA, football’s global governing body, ended the tenure of Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour, after he publicly criticised FIFA President Gianni Infantino over the abandoned FIFA Forward Enterprise investment plan.

The decision marks a dramatic new development in a growing leadership dispute that has placed Infantino under increasing pressure ahead of FIFA’s next presidential election.

Also read: Health workers seek clinics in Nigerian markets

FIFA confirmed that its working relationship with Lamour ended on August 17, but did not publicly give a reason for the departure.

A FIFA spokesperson thanked Lamour for his two years of service. Reuters and other major outlets reported the departure after Lamour became one of the most senior FIFA figures to openly challenge Infantino’s handling of the controversial proposal.

The departure comes less than three weeks after Lamour delivered an unusually forthright assessment of the FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal.

The plan was unveiled in late July as a new FIFA-owned subsidiary intended to bring commercial rights, including broadcasting, sponsorship, licensing, ticketing and hospitality, together with the operational delivery of FIFA competitions.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

The proposed structure was intended to unlock additional commercial value and increase development funding for FIFA’s 211 member associations.

FIFA said the initiative could have helped raise regular Forward funding from $8 million per association in the 2023-26 cycle to $20 million for 2027-30, with additional funding potentially available through the FIFA Fast Forward Programme.

The proposal quickly became politically explosive.

Lamour, who had previously worked alongside Infantino at UEFA and FIFA, accused the administration of being kept in the dark about the initiative.

In comments reported by the Associated Press, Lamour described the proposal as “the project of one person” and said FIFA’s own administration had been “deceived”.

Lamour also questioned the leadership culture surrounding the project, arguing that FIFA officials deserved greater openness and respect.

He acknowledged that speaking publicly could cost him his position, saying, “if that means I lose my job, then so be it”, while adding that he would respect the decision.

The criticism came as opposition to FFE spread across the football establishment. UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation and Concacaf all raised serious objections, while UEFA threatened a boycott of FIFA competitions if the initiative proceeded.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

The dispute became particularly sensitive because the proposal involved private investment in a commercial structure linked to FIFA competitions, including the World Cup.

FIFA initially defended the project as a potential means of strengthening football development around the world.

On July 30, Infantino described FFE as a “golden opportunity” to generate greater commercial value and increase investment in pitches, national teams and women’s football.

That position changed within days.

On July 31, FIFA announced that the proposal would not proceed.

Infantino said the organisation had listened to the various concerns and concluded that the project had created divisions that were no longer compatible with its original objective.

“Our purpose has always been – and will always be – to unite and improve,” Infantino said in the statement, adding that the proposal would not proceed.

The collapse of FFE did not, however, settle the dispute over Infantino’s leadership.

The controversy has instead become intertwined with Infantino’s attempt to secure another term as FIFA president.

UEFA and Concacaf have withdrawn their support, while the Scottish Football Association announced on August 17 that it would no longer back Infantino.

Scotland joined England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Football Association of Ireland in distancing themselves from his re-election campaign.

Scottish FA chief executive Ian Maxwell said the association’s position reflected concerns over FIFA’s leadership and its alignment with UEFA’s stance.

The development adds to an increasingly fractured political landscape around Infantino as he seeks to maintain support across FIFA’s member associations.

Lamour’s departure is also significant because of his previous relationship with Infantino.

Lamour was not an outside critic who emerged during the dispute.

His professional association with Infantino stretched back to their UEFA years, making his decision to speak publicly particularly striking.

The internal fallout has extended beyond Lamour. Infantino’s senior adviser Carlos Cordeiro also resigned during the controversy, describing the proposed venture as harmful to football. The departures have reinforced concerns about internal disagreement within FIFA at a politically delicate moment.

FIFA has not said that Lamour’s criticism was the formal reason for ending his employment.

The governing body’s public position remains limited to confirmation that the working relationship ended on August 17 and an expression of appreciation for his service.

That distinction is important because the timing of the departure, rather than a stated disciplinary explanation, has fuelled speculation about the circumstances surrounding the decision.

For FIFA, the immediate challenge is now broader than the fate of one senior executive.

adron lemon friday

The collapse of FFE has exposed divisions between FIFA’s leadership and several powerful confederations, while the loss of support from national associations has added another layer of uncertainty to Infantino’s political future.

For Lamour, the end of his two-year spell as FIFA’s chief operating officer closes a turbulent chapter in which an internal disagreement over the commercial future of football became a public test of leadership, transparency and governance.

The fallout is unlikely to disappear with the abandonment of FIFA Forward Enterprise.

Also read: Health workers seek clinics in Nigerian markets

With the presidential election approaching and competing factions pressing for changes in FIFA’s leadership, Lamour’s exit has become another visible sign of the difficult political road ahead for Infantino and the organisation he leads.

Peter Yakub
Peter Yakub

Also read

  • Ogogo’s health battle: Doctor sheds light on palliative care
  • Suzuki rises above racism on road to premier league

Related Posts

ab6761610000e5eb00660a179434dc089a185ce6
General

‘Worked harder’ Inability to afford meals made me hustle hard, Star rapper, Olamide

by Freelanews
June 18, 2021
images (1)
General

Buhari Inaugurates Lagos Blue Rail Line

by Freelanews
January 24, 2023
Tottenham confirm Dier, Perisic, four others exit
Sports

Tottenham confirm Dier, Perisic, four others exit

by Quadri Olaitan
June 5, 2024
quotes 6
Crime

‘Operating illegally’ Buhari shuts down Okash, Kashkash, Easy Moni, others over sharp practices

by Freelanews
March 12, 2022
Monday Okpebholo Governor-elect Edo State
General

Senator Daniel congratulates Monday Okpebholo over Edo governorship win

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
September 24, 2024

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Ogogo’s health battle

Ogogo’s health battle: Doctor sheds light on palliative care

August 18, 2026
FMBN

How to apply for FMBN’s ₦50m housing loan

August 18, 2026
Zion Suzuki

Suzuki rises above racism on road to premier league

August 18, 2026
Sowore

Sowore urges Nigeria customs to turn cannabis into an economic opportunity

August 18, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Ogogo’s health battle

Ogogo’s health battle: Doctor sheds light on palliative care

August 18, 2026
FMBN

How to apply for FMBN’s ₦50m housing loan

August 18, 2026
Zion Suzuki

Suzuki rises above racism on road to premier league

August 18, 2026
Sowore

Sowore urges Nigeria customs to turn cannabis into an economic opportunity

August 18, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Ogogo

    BREAKING: Nollywood actor Ogogo seriously ill with stage 4 cancer (VIDEO)

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Lagos to host All Nigeria Peace Summit 25 years after Cape Town

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Adeleke’s win issues stark warning APC is beatable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigerian vendor dies in China after shop collapse

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Ogogo’s health battle

Ogogo’s health battle: Doctor sheds light on palliative care

August 18, 2026
FMBN

How to apply for FMBN’s ₦50m housing loan

August 18, 2026
Zion Suzuki

Suzuki rises above racism on road to premier league

August 18, 2026
Sowore

Sowore urges Nigeria customs to turn cannabis into an economic opportunity

August 18, 2026
Ogun police

Ogun police arrest two suspected one-chance robbers

August 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.