• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News General

Nigerian police officer reveals why they collect bribes, exploit citizens

Quadri Olaitan by Quadri Olaitan
May 5, 2023
in General
0 0
0
Police
thenacre-campaign

An officer of the Nigeria Police Force has opened up on why many of his colleagues take bribes and extort Nigerians at any given chance.

Recommended articles

  • Concerns over breach as Zenith Bank’s data centre catches fire, suspends activities
  • Watch embarrassing moment MC Oluomo snubs Shina Peller (Videos)
  • Force PRO vows to crack down on Agege police officers, DPO (Video)
  • Nigerian senator, Ekweremadu, wife, middleman jailed in UK over organ harvesting

The security personnel who reportedly spoke to SaharaReporters on the matter said many police officers, especially thousands recently recruited into the force, have been demoralized and are living in abject poverty as the force refused to pay them salaries since they joined the force.

According to him, many of them find it difficult to meet their family responsibilities, adding that they have not been paid salaries for the past four months.

The Press Nigeria understands that the said badge of constables passed out of the police training institutions on December 29, 2020. Claims by the constable who spoke on anonymity are that they have not been paid since then despite resuming at their duty posts across the country.

He confessed that most of the constables were “surviving on bribes and extortion” due to the delay in the payment of salaries.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

The officer said they have been reporting at their duty posts without pay since January 2023. The police constable appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari and the Inspector General of Police, Usman Alkali Baba, to come to their aid and save them from dependent on others for daily bread.

“Please, something is happening concerning Nigeria Police Force’s new recruit constables that passed out on December 29, 2022. We have spent four months now, and the police authorities, police service commission and federal government have refused to pay us.

“And we are working 12 hours a day for the whole week. No time for any other things, please we are suffering and dying of hunger already. They are indirectly teaching us corrupt practices,” one of the officers lamenting the situation reportedly said.

Another who reportedly spoke with the news platform added: “We now beg for food and transport fee to go to work and we cannot protest because it’s against the police regulations.

“And the worst part of this is that we are being posted to various special duties like we are already being paid. And we must go because it’s an order. We must look for good or bad means.”

PSC Halts Capture Of Recruits Data For Payment

It was gathered that the Police Service Commission (PSC) had, in January 2023, asked the Accountant-General of the Federation to halt the capture of the 10,000 constables on the Integrated Payroll and Personnel System (IPPIS).

The commission was said to have decided on that with the claims that the officers had not been issued their letters of appointment and should not be enrolled on the payment portal.

According to the Public Service Rules, public officers not captured on the IPPIS cannot be paid salaries and other emoluments.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

The development followed the alleged refusal of the Inspector-General of Police to submit their names to the PSC for vetting on the grounds that he was empowered by the Police Act 2020 to recruit constables into the force.

adron lemon friday

The commission had also written to President Muhammadu Buhari, and Head of Service, Folasade Yemi-Esan, about the enrolment of police officers on the salary portal without letters of appointment.

The Press Nigeria understands that the face-off between the police authorities and the commission is a spill-over of their supremacy fight over the right to recruit constables.

Though the Court of Appeal on September 30, 2020, ruled that the commission had the constitutional mandate to recruit constables, the NPF had gone ahead with the recruitment process in defiance of the court order.

Quadri Olaitan
Quadri Olaitan

Quadri Olaitan is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, public affairs, and human-interest stories.

Also read

  • Zenith Bank, four others face trial over alleged hacking of company’s account
  • Buhari first remembrance prayers announced for July 13

Related Posts

images 34
General

We don’t have Mohbad autopsy at hand says Benjamin Hundeyin

by Reni
November 21, 2023
National hospital plans world-class healthcare delivery
General

National hospital plans world-class healthcare delivery

by Quadri Olaitan
August 23, 2024
IGP Egbetokun jpeg
General

IGP Egbetokun Announces Redeployment Of Imo Police Commissioner

by Reni
November 6, 2023
Joy Nunieh 1024x576 3
General

NDDC: Why I slapped Godswill Akpabio – Joy Nunieh

by Freelanews
July 13, 2020
7cf2c6f8b846be4d jpg
General

Manpower Shortage: Ireland Grants Work Permits To Nigerians, Others

by Quadri Olaitan
January 16, 2024

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
Ghana

Ghana remands Nigerian over alleged bank robbery plot

August 19, 2026
Adeleke

Adeleke unveils ₦500m fund, scholarships for Osun election victims

August 19, 2026
Fadahunsi

Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.