• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy

FG proposes ₦6.12bn for judgment debts in 2026 budget

Quadri Olaitan by Quadri Olaitan
January 18, 2026
in Economy
0 0
0
budget
thenacre-campaign

Nigeria’s Federal Government plans to spend ₦6.12bn on judgment debts in the 2026 budget, with the Ministry of Works accounting for the largest share


The Federal Government has proposed a total of ₦6.12bn for the settlement of judgment debts and related liabilities across three ministries in the 2026 budget, according to a review of the appropriation bill.

Also read: Tinubu govt boosts road spending in bold 2026 budget

An analysis of the budget figures shows that the allocation represents a slight increase from the ₦6.05bn proposed for judgment debts in the 2025 budget—an annual rise of about ₦75.06m.

The increase suggests that outstanding court judgments and legal liabilities remain largely unresolved, despite reduced provisions for some ministries.

The Federal Ministry of Works accounts for the largest share of the proposed allocation. In the 2026 budget, the ministry is set to receive a combined ₦5.39bn for judgment debts.

This includes ₦1.4bn listed broadly as judgment debt and an additional ₦3.99bn linked to a specific legal matter identified as Suit No. LD/7036GCM/2023.

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

By comparison, the Ministry of Works was allocated ₦5bn for judgment debts in the 2025 budget.

The increase of about ₦390m in 2026 is largely attributed to the inclusion of the specific court case, underscoring the growing financial impact of legal disputes tied to major infrastructure projects.

The Federal Ministry of Education headquarters is proposed to receive ₦700m in 2026 for outstanding capital liabilities and judgment debts.

This marks a reduction from the ₦1bn allocated in the 2025 budget, suggesting fewer unresolved claims linked to education-related projects.

Similarly, the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare headquarters has the smallest allocation among the three ministries, with ₦34.86m proposed for 2026, down from ₦49.8m in the previous year.

The decline reflects a lower provision for court-related liabilities compared with 2025.

adron lemon friday

Despite reductions in the education and health ministries’ allocations, the overall increase in judgment debt spending for 2026 is driven by higher provisions under the Ministry of Works.

Budget data indicate that judgment debts remain heavily concentrated in infrastructure-related ministries, where contractual disputes, compensation claims and concession-related litigation are more common.

In October 2025, the Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, revealed that the Federal Government’s plan to concession the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway had been stalled by an ongoing court case.

Speaking to journalists after inspecting sections of the Sagamu–Ijebu Ode–Benin Expressway and the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway, Umahi said the legal dispute had delayed plans to hand over maintenance of the road to private operators.

“The Federal Government has always been willing to ensure CCTV is installed on the road. It is our plan to concession the Lagos–Ibadan road, but someone took us to court,” Umahi said.

He explained that the dispute stems from a failed public-private partnership arrangement under a previous administration, adding that continued litigation could negatively affect road users.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT

“We are, however, telling the court that once an order is made, it is the citizens who will suffer,” the minister said. “So we are saying that the court should not make any order that will impact negatively on the welfare of the people.”

The controversy dates back to 2009, when the Federal Government awarded a 25-year concession to Bi-Courtney Highway Services Limited to reconstruct, expand and manage the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway under a build-operate-transfer model.

The agreement, ratified in 2011, allowed the firm to recover its investment through tolling.

However, the concession was terminated in 2012 over alleged non-performance. Bi-Courtney subsequently challenged the termination in court, accusing the government of breaching due process by awarding a fresh concession to Motorway Assets Limited without following established procedures.

Also read: FG defies budget rules with massive N3.5tn new projects

The lingering dispute continues to weigh on government finances, with its impact reflected in the growing judgment debt provisions under the Ministry of Works in the 2026 budget.

Quadri Olaitan
Quadri Olaitan

Quadri Olaitan is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, public affairs, and human-interest stories.

Related Posts

Nigerian
Economy

Nigerian fuel prices trigger sharp demand decline

by Victory Emmanuel
August 5, 2026
Nigeria FATF Grey List Removal
Business

Nigeria FATF grey list removal boosts investor confidence

by Ibrahim Onipede
October 31, 2025
President Tinubu
Economy

Tinubu ends fuel subsidy to rescue collapsing economy

by David Okere
October 1, 2025
Africa
Economy

Africa needs $2.8tn for climate action, report warns

by Victory Emmanuel
May 23, 2026
Tinubu
Economy

Tinubu 15 percent import duty earns praise

by Quadri Olaitan
November 2, 2025

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Naira

Naira gains as Nigeria’s FX demand falls 35%

August 20, 2026
Ebola

JUST IN: DRC Ebola outbreak surpasses 5,000 cases

August 20, 2026

BREAKING: Gunmen storm Osogbo palace area during Adeleke’s visit

August 20, 2026
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Naira

Naira gains as Nigeria’s FX demand falls 35%

August 20, 2026
Ebola

JUST IN: DRC Ebola outbreak surpasses 5,000 cases

August 20, 2026

BREAKING: Gunmen storm Osogbo palace area during Adeleke’s visit

August 20, 2026
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fadahunsi apologises for controversial palace remarks, denies call for violence

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Canada probe exposes alleged fake Nigerian doctor

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Naira

Naira gains as Nigeria’s FX demand falls 35%

August 20, 2026
Ebola

JUST IN: DRC Ebola outbreak surpasses 5,000 cases

August 20, 2026

BREAKING: Gunmen storm Osogbo palace area during Adeleke’s visit

August 20, 2026
Jubril

Jubril Tinubu urges stronger governance for African firms

August 19, 2026
Nigeria

Nigeria urges South Africa to end afrophobic attacks

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.