• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News

NJC suspends two judges over misconduct

Victory Emmanuel by Victory Emmanuel
May 16, 2026
in News
0 0
0
NJC
thenacre-campaign

NJC suspends judges over misconduct and recommends 12 new Court of Appeal justices during its latest meeting

The National Judicial Council has recommended the appointment of 12 new justices of the Court of Appeal while suspending two judges for one year without pay over judicial misconduct.

Also read: NLS threatens court action over NBA president, calls for sanctions on Lawyers

The decisions were reached during the council’s 111th meeting held on May 13 under the chairmanship of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Kudirat Kekere-Ekun.

In a statement issued by the council’s Deputy Director of Information, Kemi Babalola-Ogedengbe, the NJC said the appointments were aimed at strengthening the judiciary and filling vacancies created by retirements and elevations within the courts.

The judges recommended for appointment to the Court of Appeal are Yakubu Mohammed, Monisola Abodunde, Raphael Ajuwa, Elias Abua, Mbalamen Ijohor, Sabiu Shuaibu, James Omotosho, Emeka Nwite, Dauda Buba, Sanusi Kado, Enikuomehin Ademola and Julcit Dadom.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

The council also recommended Christine Ende for appointment as judge of the Benue State High Court, alongside Ibrahim Yakubu and Bala Daura as Kadis of the Katsina State Sharia Court of Appeal.

According to the NJC, the appointments of Yakubu and Daura were initially delayed following petitions challenging their eligibility due to retirement from public service.

However, the council said it later concluded that the Nigerian Constitution does not prevent retired public servants from being appointed to judicial positions.

The statement noted that the decision was guided by the Court of Appeal judgment in Ayoola v. Baruwa (1999), which held that retired legal practitioners remain eligible for judicial appointments.

Under a newly adopted policy, the council stated that retired public servants seeking judicial appointments must have at least 10 years remaining before reaching the mandatory judicial retirement age.

The NJC suspends judges decision also affected Justice Ibrahim Shekarau, who was sanctioned for one year without pay over what the council described as judicial misconduct linked to the granting of an ex parte order.

According to the statement, investigators found that Shekarau “acted in bad faith, failed to observe due process and demonstrated lack of professional competence.”

Similarly, Justice Edward A. E. Okpe was suspended for one year without pay after the council found that he granted an ex parte application leading to committal proceedings against a petitioner without allowing the individual an opportunity to be heard.

The council also extended the tenure of Ijeoma Agugua as acting Chief Judge of Imo State for an additional three months pending the appointment of a substantive chief judge.

The NJC commended Ononeze-Madu for refusing to be sworn in contrary to constitutional procedures, describing the action as a powerful demonstration of institutional integrity and respect for the rule of law.

On disciplinary matters, the council rejected appeals filed by eight judges from Imo State who had earlier been compulsorily retired over age falsification allegations.

According to the NJC, the affected judges failed to provide fresh evidence capable of overturning the sanctions previously imposed on them.

However, the council reinstated T. I. Nze after reviewing new evidence presented before its committee.

The NJC further disclosed that it dismissed 73 petitions filed against judicial officers for lack of merit, insufficient prosecution or because they were statute-barred.

Another 11 petitions were recommended for further investigation.

adron lemon friday

The council also commended nine judges for outstanding performance during the 2024 and 2025 legal years and approved the issuance of 256 letters to judicial officers over performance-related matters.

Also read: Appeal court rejects Aiyedatiwa challenge in eligibility case

The NJC suspends judges ruling is expected to reinforce ongoing efforts to strengthen accountability, discipline and professionalism within Nigeria’s judiciary.

Victory Emmanuel
Victory Emmanuel

Victory Emmanuel is a journalist and contributor to Freelanews.com, covering news, business, and public affairs.

Related Posts

20250815 223344
JUST IN

Fire outbreak disrupts Yinka Ayefele radio station in Ibadan

by Quadri Olaitan
August 15, 2025
NSCDC
Crime

NSCDC uncovers illegal crude oil warehouse in Rivers

by Quadri Olaitan
March 18, 2026
2024 03 13 at 14 07 41 Awa Ni Ijo Mimo on TikTok
General

Real reasons Met Police visit UK celestial church revealed (Video)

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
March 13, 2024
Franklin Nwadialo $3.3m scam
Crime

FBI arrest of Nigerian council chairman sparks political turmoil in Anambra

by Quadri Olaitan
December 2, 2024
WhatsApp Image 2020 03 19 at 6.05.55 PM 1
General

‘Best isolation spot!’ Conference Hotel redefines hospitality to battle COVID-19

by Freelanews
March 19, 2020

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

FCCPC

FCCPC probes Nigeria’s rising cement prices

August 19, 2026
Dangote

Dangote Refinery secures $1bn IPO backing

August 19, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

August 19, 2026
Oluremi

Oluremi Tinubu launches food bank programme in Ogun

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
FCCPC

FCCPC probes Nigeria’s rising cement prices

August 19, 2026
Dangote

Dangote Refinery secures $1bn IPO backing

August 19, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

August 19, 2026
Oluremi

Oluremi Tinubu launches food bank programme in Ogun

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • Ogogo

    BREAKING: Nollywood actor Ogogo seriously ill with stage 4 cancer (VIDEO)

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Kemta Ogboni house sealed amid Yayi dispute

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Primate Ayodele warns Tinubu of 2027 defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

FCCPC

FCCPC probes Nigeria’s rising cement prices

August 19, 2026
Dangote

Dangote Refinery secures $1bn IPO backing

August 19, 2026
NDLEA

NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

August 19, 2026
Oluremi

Oluremi Tinubu launches food bank programme in Ogun

August 19, 2026
Chris Oyakhilome

Chris Oyakhilome unveils Tsion electric vehicles

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.