• About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Sitemap
Freelanews
Advertisement
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Freelanews
No Result
View All Result
Home News General

‘SOS!’ See what red rags now mean in Colombia

Freelanews by Freelanews
April 28, 2020
in General
0 0
0
c4fdc6009b6a4dadae30fd8b7a18925b 18
thenacre-campaign

Hanging from Daniela Castano’s window is a red T-shirt draped on an old mop pole.

The piece of red cloth is one of many dotting the buildings of Bogota’s working-class neighbourhoods – a symbol of someone in need.

Castano, 21, shares a small room in an old colonial building with her partner, Carlos, 22, and their two young children in Belen – a working-class neighbourhood in the centre of Bogota. Her 68-year-old grandmother and 73-year-old wheelchair-bound grandfather live next door. The family fled to the Colombian capital after being displaced from the violent northeastern town of Ituango in 2010, when Castano’s mother was killed by a rebel group during the country’s more than 50 years of conflict.

When Colombia’s coronavirus lockdown began, she lost her job as a waitress, and for the first time in her life had to beg on the streets.

“People treat you like dirt,” said Castano, looking gaunt and exhausted, adding that she received a fine from police for begging last week. “It’s shameful, but I’ve no other choice.”

Perfect-Aesthetic-social-1

Castano’s story is just one of many low-income and working-class Colombians and Venezuelan migrants living in the Andean nation, many of whom are unable to carry out their informal work due to the country’s strict coronavirus lockdown.

Daniela Castano and her grandfather are seen outside their home, where they live in close quarters with several other families [Nadege Mazars/Al Jazeera]

The government said that from April 7 onward, it would begin delivering subsidies of 160,000 Colombian Pesos ($40) on average per household, for three million families who are in situations of “poverty, extreme poverty and vulnerability”. Castano has yet to receive any help.

Colombia’s presidency said in a press release on Thursday that it will have given out one million cash transfers to vulnerable families as of next week.

Luis Alberto Rodriguez, head of the government’s National Planning Department, told Al Jazeera that delivering the subsidies to some communities is “a challenge” as many have never registered with the government before. 

Source: Read more at www.wikipedia.org

Of the more than a dozen Colombians Al Jazeera spoke to, only one had received any kind of government aid. For many, the red cloth that hangs outside their windows is a sign this help has yet to arrive.

“It’s an SOS. To show there’s no support, that people aren’t doing well,” said Jefferson Gonzales of a red T-shirt that hangs outside his home in the neighbourhood of Las Cruces, which sits adjacent to Belen. The 32-year-old mechanic, who is unable to work with a broken wrist, has yet to receive any help from the government. Some neighbours have helped him with food at times, but it’s not enough.

The red rag phenomenon began a few weeks ago, in the impoverished peripheral neighbourhood of Soacha – on the outskirts of Bogota – where a large majority of the population work informally, without contracts or job security, and live day-to-day off their earnings.

The coronavirus lockdown, which began on March 24, brought their jobs to a dramatic halt as the government prohibited people from being on the streets to curb the spread of the virus, which has so far infected more than 5,000 people and killed at least 233. The lockdown was due to end on April 27, but President Ivan Duque extended it for two more weeks, causing further panic among the working classes.

Soacha’s mayor, Jose Carlos Saldarriaga, came up with the red cloth initiative.

“The red cloth is to show neighbours how one another is living, something that usually doesn’t happen. It allows a type of solidarity and support from their neighbours while facing the hunger they’re going through at the moment,” said Saldarriaga.

After he posted the idea on social media, those in need started to place red cloth outside their front doors, and the phenomenon spread to other parts of Bogota before gaining traction nationwide.

Odun Ifa 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
adron lemon friday
A red flag is displayed on the house of a Venezuelan family living in this house in the Belen district of Bogota with seven other Venezuelan families [Nadege Mazars/Al Jazeera]

Saldarriaga said there are entire neighbourhoods in Soacha that have red rags on display.

Noelia Casas, 34, who is from Belen and manages the Casa B community centre, said the group has helped over 200 families who have arrived at the centre since the quarantine began. But their resources are limited.

“The need is getting worse every day. The line outside has been huge in recent days. We have people pleading for help,” said Casas, who over the past month says she often arrives home and breaks down. “It’s hard to say ‘no’ to some people, but we don’t have enough for everyone … there’s so much inequality in Colombia.”

People are not just in need of food and other supplies.

“A black cloth means that some kind of violence is being suffered in the home, blue is when medical help is needed and red is when they need food,” said John Orlando, Colombia Director for Action Against Hunger. “The needs are going to continue and most certainly increase in the coming weeks and months.”

Red cloth can be seen hanging from the windows of the working-class district of Girardot [Nadege Mazars/Al Jazeera]

While many have displayed red outside the windows, some say they have still not received any aid.

“We put it up 20 days ago – but nothing’s come of it,” said 35-year-old Leidy Olaya, who lives with her 57-year-old mother, Francy, in the impoverished Giradot neighbourhood.

“The situation has been hard. We live day to day,” said Francy Olaya, a cook, who showed off burn scars on her forearms as proof to her profession.

“The little bit of savings we had is gone. We have nothing and the government doesn’t understand.”

freelanews
Freelanews

Freelanews is the editorial byline of Freelanews.com, used for staff reports, news updates, press releases, and collaborative stories produced by the Freelanews Editorial Team.

Also read

  • APC moves to fill 11 legislative seats across five states
  • Gumi says public money can support marriages under shariah

Related Posts

Untitled 1 3
General

‘COVID-19’ Bureau gives palliatives to widows, single mothers

by Freelanews
April 10, 2020
Man strips self naked to protest hardship in Lagos
General

Man strips self naked to protest hardship in Lagos

by Quadri Olaitan
August 2, 2024
wole soyinka 1
General

‘On our doorstep’ Another civil war looms as Buhari keeps mute on herdsmen activities, Wole Soyinka says

by Freelanews
February 8, 2021
190821 think donald trump mike pence se 653p 9f44850cee20b3173acb9da5f0b6f9ef
General

‘Time will tell’ Trump refuses to promise peaceful transfer if he loses

by Rtn. Victor Ojelabi
September 24, 2020
MultiChoice Nigeria subscription revenue
General

MultiChoice Nigeria revenue plunges 44% as customer base shrinks

by Oreoluwa Ojelabi
June 14, 2025

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

Tiktok Community

You're not logged into Tiktok, please login here
UBA bank ad UBA bank ad UBA bank ad

Recent News

Sanwo-Olu

Sanwo-Olu rewards LASU’s top graduates with ₦20m each

August 19, 2026
Canada

Canada warns of five-year ban for visa fraud

August 19, 2026
Nigeria resumes Onion exports to Ghana

Nigeria resumes Onion exports to Ghana after trade dispute

August 19, 2026
FG

FG explains how N15.8tn subsidy savings were spent

August 19, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
N250k signature

Abiodun vs Amosun: N250k signature plot deepens Ogun political crisis ahead Tinubu visit

April 3, 2026
Omoge Saida

Omoge Saida sparks Nigerian social media over leaked video

October 28, 2025
james akaie

Nollywood SFX makeup artist James Akaie allegedly dies after explosion on Abeokuta movie set

January 13, 2026
Political persecution in Ogun State

Political persecution in Ogun State: Abiodun moves against Otunba Gbenga Daniel with demolition threats again

August 9, 2025
amoke

‘Meals by Amoke’ We serve traditional dishes in a modern way, Bukoye Fasola reveals

19
Image 2024 03 26 at 120645 AM jpeg

Charles Inojie, Ali Nuhu call on communities to #MakeWeHalla against domestic violence

11
Meran Primary Health Centre Lagos father Meran hospital

Lagos father shares heartbreaking experience at Meran Primary Health Centre (Photos)

4
fls2

‘Disarticulated system’ Gov’t confused about Nigerian education, expert laments

3
Sanwo-Olu

Sanwo-Olu rewards LASU’s top graduates with ₦20m each

August 19, 2026
Canada

Canada warns of five-year ban for visa fraud

August 19, 2026
Nigeria resumes Onion exports to Ghana

Nigeria resumes Onion exports to Ghana after trade dispute

August 19, 2026
FG

FG explains how N15.8tn subsidy savings were spent

August 19, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
August 2026
SMTWTFS
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031 
« Jul    
Freelanews

Freelanews is a Nigerian digital news platform that delivers timely, credible, and engaging stories across politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and the creative industry, with a strong focus on promoting innovation, integrity, and inclusivity in storytelling.

Today’s Popular

  • NDLEA

    NDLEA busts N39bn cocaine cartel, arrests luxury dealer

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Primate Ayodele warns Tinubu of 2027 defeat

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NANS urges Tinubu to release Osun’s ₦200bn funds

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ms Jorji: “Poco Lee tried to rape my girlfriend and i”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Just Published!

Sanwo-Olu

Sanwo-Olu rewards LASU’s top graduates with ₦20m each

August 19, 2026
Canada

Canada warns of five-year ban for visa fraud

August 19, 2026
Nigeria resumes Onion exports to Ghana

Nigeria resumes Onion exports to Ghana after trade dispute

August 19, 2026
FG

FG explains how N15.8tn subsidy savings were spent

August 19, 2026
Fayose challenges Davido

Fayose challenges Davido over ₦40bn Osun spending claim

August 19, 2026
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Cookie Policy
  • Editorial Charter
  • Corrections Policy
  • Advertisement

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
  • Business
  • Brands
  • Banking
  • Opinion
  • Interview
  • Entertainment
  • Podcast
    • Àtẹ́lẹwọ́
  • Sports
  • Events

© 2026 Freelanews | by Iretura.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.