The Malami money laundering trial was adjourned to June 23 after defence lawyers sought delay in the alleged N8.7bn fraud case
The Federal High Court in Abuja on Friday adjourned proceedings in the Malami money laundering trial until June 23, 2026, in the alleged N8.7 billion case involving former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), his wife, Hajia Bashir Asabe, and their son, Abubakar Abdulaziz Malami.
Also read: JUST IN: EFCC seals Abubakar Malami residence in Abuja raid
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is prosecuting the three defendants on a 16-count charge bordering on conspiracy, concealing, disguising and laundering alleged proceeds of unlawful activities amounting to N8,713,923,759.49 under the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.
At the resumed hearing in Abuja, prosecution counsel J.S. Okutepa (SAN) informed the court that the matter had been fixed for continuation of trial but that the prosecution received a letter from the defence requesting an adjournment.
According to the prosecution, the application was submitted by the law firm of J.B. Daudu and Co. through a letter dated May 20, 2026, and addressed to the Deputy Chief Registrar of the court.
Okutepa told the court that although the prosecution initially intended to challenge the request, it decided against opposing the application to avoid delaying proceedings further.
“This matter is slated today for continuation of the hearing. We were served with a letter addressed to the Deputy Chief Registrar of this court on the 20th of May, 2026, by the law firm of J.B. Daudu and Co.
We wanted to oppose the application, but we don’t want to stall the proceedings,” the senior advocate said.
The prosecution, however, urged the court to note the number of adjournments already sought by the defence, arguing that the pattern should be placed on record as the trial progresses.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, while delivering the ruling, observed that the absence of the lead defence counsel should ordinarily not halt proceedings because the legal chamber had several other lawyers capable of handling the matter.
“I do concur with you, learned senior counsel, that the defence counsel indeed has so many lawyers in his chambers. There is no reason to stall proceedings today.
Be that as it may, since they have room for five adjournments, we will grant them this one,” the judge ruled.
The court subsequently fixed June 23, 2026, for continuation of hearing in what has become one of the most closely watched anti-corruption cases involving a former top government official.
Also read: DSS engages SAN for Malami, son terrorism case
The high-profile case has continued to attract public attention because of Malami’s former position as the nation’s chief law officer and the substantial amount involved in the allegations.























