Ebola threat in Nigeria remains unconfirmed as the Federal Government intensifies surveillance and preparedness measures nationwide
The Federal Government has reassured Nigerians that there is no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease in Nigeria, even as authorities intensify surveillance and preparedness measures following recent outbreaks in parts of Central and East Africa.
Also read: Deadly Ebola outbreak kills 65 in DR Congo
The Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Muhammad Ali Pate, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday, saying precautionary measures had already been activated to strengthen the country’s public health response.
Pate said the government had reinforced surveillance systems nationwide while agencies including the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention and Port Health Services continued to closely monitor developments linked to Ebola outbreaks in Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.
“While Nigeria currently has no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease, the Federal Government is taking all necessary proactive measures to strengthen national preparedness, surveillance and coordination mechanisms,” the minister stated.
He explained that the ongoing interventions include enhanced nationwide surveillance, tighter screening procedures at airports and border points, and reinforced health declaration protocols to reduce the risk of importing the disease into the country.
According to Pate, the ministry is also working closely with the World Health Organization and regional health authorities to support early detection and rapid response systems.
The minister added that laboratory preparedness and diagnostic capacity had been strengthened to ensure quick identification and confirmation of suspected cases.
He said infection prevention and control measures were also being reinforced across health facilities, while public awareness campaigns and community engagement efforts had been intensified as part of a broader containment strategy.
Pate urged Nigerians to remain calm and avoid spreading misinformation capable of causing unnecessary panic.
He advised citizens to maintain preventive hygiene practices, including regular handwashing and avoiding contact with bodily fluids from persons showing symptoms of illness.
The minister also encouraged the public to promptly report unusual illnesses to the nearest health facility for immediate medical attention and investigation.
Pate said healthcare workers nationwide had been directed to maintain a high level of vigilance, strictly follow infection prevention protocols, and immediately isolate and report suspected cases through established public health channels.
He reaffirmed the Federal Government’s commitment to protecting public health through coordinated surveillance, preparedness and rapid response systems.
Also read: WHO declares dangerous Ebola emergency in DRC, Uganda
Ebola Virus Disease is a severe viral illness spread through direct contact with infected bodily fluids and is often associated with high fatality rates during outbreaks.























